Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

• RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    For the benefit of those wondering if this conversation is getting too technical, try the following example
    Data - 5
    Information - 5 weeks since I changed my strings
    Knowledge - when my strings are 5 weeks old they usually sound crap, and cause tuning problems
    Wisdom - I need to change my strings before Friday's gig
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27571
    edited August 2013
    Roland said:
    For the benefit of those wondering if this conversation is getting too technical, try the following example
    Data - 5
    Information - 5 weeks since I changed my strings
    Knowledge - when my strings are 5 weeks old they usually sound crap, and cause tuning problems
    Wisdom - I need to change my strings before Friday's gig
    Facepalm - I forgot to change my strings before Friday's gig. :D
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10469
    tFB Trader
    I think the facepalm is open to abuse and unnecessarily negative. On a site that is supposed to be about getting together and creating something better than we had on MR I think it's pointless and divisive.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    If face palms were added to your fret score that would take any negativity away from them as they are supposed to be light hearted.

and it would show that the recipient is an active member of the forum.

Oh and I've got 9 of the blasted things! :((
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I'd like  to know where I got a facepalm is there a way of tracing it to the offending post?
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    frankus said:
    I'd like  to know where I got a facepalm is there a way of tracing it to the offending post?
      No but it might get implemented if the Facepalms stay. :)
    You could then retaliate and the Facepalm Wars would begin. :D
    frankus said:

No easy way.  You have to look at each of your posts, and see which one attracted the facepalm response.  We're looking at how to implement some way of being able to identify which (of your own) posts got what response, but (thinking ahead just a little) such a system might have to be able to cope with hundreds or thousands of posts/frets in a few years time.

And if we do find a way of doing that, the identity of the awarder will not be disclosed.

tFB Trader
    TTony said:
    frankus said:

No easy way.  You have to look at each of your posts, and see which one attracted the facepalm response.  We're looking at how to implement some way of being able to identify which (of your own) posts got what response, but (thinking ahead just a little) such a system might have to be able to cope with hundreds or thousands of posts/frets in a few years time.

And if we do find a way of doing that, the identity of the awarder will not be disclosed.

I think the Facepalm simply reduces things to the level of a custard pie fight ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • wordywordy Frets: 67

I did wonder if it would be cool supposing we could see, say the top 5 posts each month, which were awarded the most wisdom.

Especially if they were related to actually playing the guitar - technique and theory etc

I think that would be really cool.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    wordy said:

I did wonder if it would be cool supposing we could see, say the top 5 posts each month, which were awarded the most wisdom.

Especially if they were related to actually playing the guitar - technique and theory etc

I think that would be really cool.

You'd end up getting the top 5 dick jokes for the month.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Would it be possible to opt out of the face palm thing so a person could neither give or receive a face palm ?

So those who want to be sensible a mature can be, while those who want to be childish and immature ( and fun) are free to do so?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    jaygtr said:
    Would it be possible to opt out of the face palm thing so a person could neither give or receive a face palm ?

So those who want to be sensible a mature can be, while those who want to be childish and immature ( and fun) are free to do so?
    Then you'd get an 'us and them' two tier system, where those who didn't want to 'play' would be seen as spoil sports or fuddy-duddies ... and my fuddy isn't even slightly duddy :)

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    OK so far the one thing I think we have a reasonably strong majority in favour of is that the Facepalm should not decrease your "Frets" score. 

I'm going to take that as an action to implement in the next release.

Sound OK?
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    Sounds ok :)
    Works for me :)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33799
    Can we see who is rating us?

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17626
    tFB Trader
    octatonic said:

I think it's reasonable to have a list of which posts earned you the points, but if we remove anonymity (and I'm not saying we will ) I will have to clear the scores first as it is not fair to reveal things people thought would be hidden when they clicked on them.
    octatonic said:

I'm really not in favour of that.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

TTony said:
    octatonic said:

I'm really not in favour of that.
    I agree, I think it could lead to back-slapping on one side and tit-for-tat facepalming on the other.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Look... can't we just get rid of the bullshit altogether? It really isn't useful. Plus it's currently extremely spineless. If you disagree with my viewpoint, have the stones to admit it in public. Don't facepalm me and then walk on by.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom