Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 28736
    I'm simply disappointed ... I thought we intended to make somewhere we could talk, not somewhere for pushbutton putdowns, automatic raspberries or electronic custard pies.

The reaction system patently doesn't preclude discussion and conversation though - in under two weeks we've had almost a thousand new discussions started and over twelve thousand comments posted.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10722
    tFB Trader
    I'm simply disappointed ... I thought we intended to make somewhere we could talk, not somewhere for pushbutton putdowns, automatic raspberries or electronic custard pies.

I don't see why you have to engage with them if you aren't interested in them.
    No problem then if that's the forum line ... why bother to ask?
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26776
    edited August 2013
    Did you miss the part where we'd already agreed to take action on this? That was in the middle of page 4.

It seems like you're trying to manufacture an argument here, although I can't for the life of me figure out why.
    <space for hire>
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think there are loads of different ways that people react - I prefer the honest approach and having dialogue but many people find that difficult (AKA "can't see the point").

It doesn't mean their point of view is invalid.

I think facepalms should stay and I think I should be able to see what people feel most umbridge about (even if some of them do reply) when I go to the "view my posts" in the settings I think they could be added to the report there - underneath the the exerpt.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 10722
    tFB Trader
    I will argue no further ... and simply facepalm everyone's views I don't agree with :)
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10731
    I think that if there are any more than a few valued members who don't like it, they should be got rid of. And I'm talking about the facepalms - honest. Even though I'm the proud owner of 19, I can see how they could add negativity and we want this to be a lovely place to be.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I will argue no further ... and simply facepalm everyone's views I don't agree with :)
    :D

You can do both, you know. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    My opinion is not the forum line.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Frets: 136
    edited August 2013
    ICBM;12649" said:
    I still think they're important to keep a sense of proportion for those of us who have a tendency to take ourselves too seriously sometimes. It's just an internet forum. (Even if the best one on the net!)

The only thing that disappoints me slightly is that I haven't got more Wow!s - obviously I haven't posted enough Surprising Science Facts or pictures of Really Huge Machinery yet.

:)
    I've just given you one (a 'wow' that is).
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    Thank you :).

By the way, is anyone else constantly misreading the slightly truncated thread title on the home page as "Should we get rid of Facebook?"

....and then being disappointed that they can't answer that? ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Oh dear, the face palm gesture is just that, it's a gesture. just like in real life, it's nothing but an indication that something you said or did was a bit silly. Stop seeing it as a dislike or offensive button and start learning from your posts that get facepalmed. That's what it's there for... 

'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    Is the frets thing posts as well? or is it more of a user score? 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27697
    Hertz32 said:
    Oh dear, the face palm gesture is just that, it's a gesture. just like in real life, it's nothing but an indication that something you said or did was a bit silly. Stop seeing it as a dislike or offensive button and start learning from your posts that get facepalmed. That's what it's there for... 

Hallelujah

Hertz32 said:
    Is the frets thing posts as well? or is it more of a user score? 
    Your frets score is the total of your LOL plus Wow! plus Wisdom points, less your FacePalms.

You can see your posts score under your profile detail.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26776
    Well, at least somebody got it...
    <space for hire>
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7300
    TTony;13188" said:
    Hertz32 said:

Your frets score is the total of your LOL plus Wow! plus Wisdom points, less your FacePalms.

You can see your posts score under your profile detail.
    Yeah but that relationship is "provably" ridiculous :)
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    I believe that Archer conclusively proved that maths isn't worth that much effort. He even got a Nobel prize for it.
  • MickMick Frets: 98

Actually, which one is worse, getting a Facepalm, or getting a lol (where apparently people are laughing out loud at you for what you write?

• Keep facepalms, but stop them being anonymous. Then people will  have to stand by their gestures instead of hiding and sniping at someone they've had a run-in with on an entirely unrelated subject.

It happens.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72669
    I'm now the proud owner of ten facepalms, I got a special award notification. I don't mind that, but it would be much better if there was a way I could see what for. Is that possible?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24447
    Personally, I think the whole system of 'frets' needs to go.  Seriously - how many people give a monkey's what their, or anyone else's "fret" score is.  As you cannot see what post you are being marked on, it is utterly pointless.  They are a waste of screen space and serve no purpose whatsoever.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter
    I'm personally responsible for all global warming
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom