Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Fretwired said:
    BigPaulie said:
    Keep facepalms, but stop them being anonymous. Then people will  have to stand by their gestures instead of hiding and sniping at someone they've had a run-in with on an entirely unrelated subject.

It happens.
    I'm not bothered about facepalms but I tend to agree with BigPaulie - it would be nice to know what you got one for. I think the wisdoms are useful. They had a similar system on the Line 6 forums a few years ago and it was useful as you could see/reward the knowledgeable people who are happy to help and answer technical guitar-related issues.

I just noticed I got a facepalm for what I thought was a well reasoned post.  Disappointing.
    I put up a live performance of Freebird and got a facepalm ... nobody has any taste.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 559

Confuses the hell out of me, since the first one, I have no idea how I've got what I've got or if there is some sinister unseen reason to fear the consequences of the collection of badges or was that Badgers?.

All seems like good clean harmless fun, Isn't it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I can't facepalm myself - I find this incredibly ironic given it is an act performed on ones self...

hi five, team frank ... go me.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    I got a facepalm for saying I didn't like the Winery Dogs or whatever they're called.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7963
    edited September 2013
    I get that the intention of facepalms are for when someone has a Homer Simpson style 'Do'h!' moment, and they're appropriate for that.  I've seen a few posts though where someone is just stating an opinion and have been facepalmed.  I don't see how it helps debate in those situations.

Personally I don't use rep systems on any boards, I just post.

However, I think the fact that facepalms mean you get a negative fret means that they pretty much equate to a neg rep in my eyes, which works for some posts but is a bit disappointing for others when they're actually funny posts.  A facepalm could legitimately be given to someone who is just being a clown for a laugh, in which case a LOL would also work and not give a negative fret score.  A facepalm used against someone being a dick should really just be a flagged post.  A facepalm because of disagreeing doesn't seem the right use of the button, surely a reply/counter post is a better choice there.

Because of the fact it could mean either/or I think it just makes it confusing.  I'd prefer a proper positive/negative rep system whereby you can see who is usually helpful and who is a douche (even those systems are prone to being rigged by popularity) or just keep a positive only reaction system and keep flag available for posts that are out of line.

FWIW I think LOL/WOW/Wisdom are actually good distinctions to make if we're keeping the system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Facepalms are totally useless! There, I said it (again). :D
    Change it to a "Thanks" button. :P
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited September 2013

@guitarfishbay & @ddlooping

^ Good points and I tend to agree ^

There was probably a good reason that Facebook decide to stick with just 'Like'.

Just don't change it to 'oh no you di'int', please.

My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • However, I think the fact that facepalms mean you get a negative fret...
    That should change very soon. ;)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17668
    tFB Trader
    Code changes have been made. 

It will be rolled out soon.
  • I want to facepalm facepalms. Can I do that?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10720
    I used to hate facepalms but I've grown fond of them.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    edited September 2013 tFB Trader
    I think a lot of people have a bit of a shit fit when they get their first one and then once they have a load of them they cease to care. 
    They absolutely shouldn't count against fret score so that's being fixed. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Ooooo how exciting! Retrospectively? Wow i'm going to like double my score!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    viz said:
    Ooooo how exciting! Retrospectively? Wow i'm going to like double my score!
    It is a change to the way the score is displayed so it will be retrospective. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Great! Not saying you're not clever or anything but how the hell did you amass over 1000 wisdoms?
    It was as a result of mr Digitalscream pissing about with the database while we were testing.

I only have the badge not the actual score mind.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2013
    Ah!! Crafty old sod. Yep - i thought it must start again at zero after 999 but that makes more sense.
    So in fact ICBM is the only dude apart from you 5 cheats who has reached the 100 wisdom mark - that makes sense.
    Nope I have a genuine 140 wisdoms. 
    Sporky also has 140 and Tony and DS are not far off 100.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    :) ok let you off :) 141.