Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Should we get rid of Facepalms?

What's Hot

Comments

• RockerRocker Frets: 4993
    edited September 2013
    :(  Just testing, testing one two three.....
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ROOG said:

Confuses the hell out of me, since the first one, I have no idea how I've got what I've got or if there is some sinister unseen reason to fear the consequences of the collection of badges or was that Badgers?.

All seems like good clean harmless fun, Isn't it?

Ooh please can we collect Badgers and then have a Badger Parade (copyright Harry Hill) mind you on 2nd thoughts with all the Badger culling maybe not a great idea, never mind the cow TB.

But I agree harmless fun and nonsense. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    My wisdom cannae be countard.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • bigjon said:

If the consensus is yes then we will remove it and replace it with . . . "Agree" button. 
    This gets my vote
    And mine
    and mine !
  • shobetshobet Frets: 180
    edited October 2013
    Being new here it was a bit odd seeing my fret score going up and down, it wasn't until I noticed that my profile had various rankings that seem to be related to the different 'ratings' at the bottom of each comment that I realised what was going on. You can't even find out what has been clicked on your posts without looking through the lot of them. 

I don't believe it's being used to rank users in any meaningful way and it's open to abuse as there's no transparency unless your'e a moderator. So I'm just going to ignore the fret score altogether as it really does not provide me with any meaningful data. 

So all in all the facepalms and other ratings all seem a bit arbitrary to me. It's just fluff. 

Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 10reaction image Wisdom
  • shobet said:
    Being new here it was a bit odd seeing my fret score going up and down, it wasn't until I noticed that my profile had various rankings that seem to be related to the different 'ratings' at the bottom of each comment that I realised what was going on. You can't even find out what has been clicked on your posts without looking through the lot of them. 

I don't believe it's being used to rank users in any meaningful way and it's open to abuse as there's no transparency unless your'e a moderator. So I'm just going to ignore the fret score altogether as it really does not provide me with any meaningful data. 

So all in all the facepalms and other ratings all seem a bit arbitrary to me. It's just fluff. 

Deserves a wisdom.   Shazam!

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6399
    shobet said:

Us Mods can't see anything either, so don't have a pop at us.  Only the Devs hacking the database can see anything.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    bigjon said:

If the consensus is yes then we will remove it and replace it with . . . "Agree" button. 
    This gets my vote
    And mine
    and mine !
    And mine. 
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • vizviz Frets: 10730
    Hertz32 said:
    bigjon said:

This gets my vote
    And mine
    and mine !
    And mine. 

and mine.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • viz said:
    Hertz32 said:
    bigjon said:

This gets my vote
    And mine
    and mine !
    And mine. 

and mine.
    Does that mean all my FaPs become Agrees?
  • shobetshobet Frets: 180
    Jalapeno said:
    shobet said:

Us Mods can't see anything either, so don't have a pop at us.  Only the Devs hacking the database can see anything.
    Thanks for the info and I was not having a pop petal. ;) 

It always makes me shit myself when I hear the phrase ''Devs hacking the database". I've been at the pointy end of too many Friday afternoon fixes to mention. 

Do ursus deposit feculence in the thicket?

Here endeth the lesson. 
  • shobet said:
    Thanks for the info and I was not having a pop petal. ;) 

It always makes me shit myself when I hear the phrase ''Devs hacking the database". I've been at the pointy end of too many Friday afternoon fixes to mention. 

Don't worry, we never make any writes while we're investigating these things. We restrict ourselves to read-only database queries :)

Also, there will never be any changes to the code running the forum without a proper test and release plan. We also have full backups of everything (which I test every few weeks).
    <space for hire>
  • nickpnickp Frets: 183
    @monquixote

i'm dunno about facepalms but what about a Good trader button?  then they'll show up on profiles

just a thought

Nick
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17672
    tFB Trader
    nickp said:
    @monquixote

i'm dunno about facepalms but what about a Good trader button?  then they'll show up on profiles

just a thought

Nick
    It's on my list, but it would be per user rather than per post. 
    The facepalm really has become the last bastion of the imbecile and the dimwitted. I am fucking shocked that the admins thought it was a good idea at all. It's SOOOOOOOOOOOO obvious what it would be used for!!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33848
    nickp said:
    @monquixote

just a thought

Nick
    It's on my list, but it would be per user rather than per post. 
    Would need to be centrally managed then.
    Otherwise would be easy to create multiple profiles and give yourself positive feedback.

As for facepalms- I thought they were harmless but it seems that they are not- get rid of them.
    They hurts my feeewwwwinggs!
  • johnnyurqjohnnyurq Frets: 1368
    They really don't bother me but as we have seen with @Drew_fx getting trashed it can get a bit silly.

It was mildly amusing for the first 20 or so but rapidly got spiteful.

Like a lot on here if I give a facepalm I tend to balance it with a LOL or similar, unless it really is deserving of a facepalm.

Just my 2p.
  • WYNIR0WYNIR0 Frets: 367
    Facepalms? What Facepalms?  :-S I see no Facepalms. 
    monquixote said:
    I agree with WYNIRO much as personally I think he is a total cock.

• Weren't me, guv.

OK, it might have been...
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom