Anyone had acupuncture ?

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
I went to a physio yesterday as I've been suffering with headaches at the back right of my head for months and apart from the manipulating and pushing me about, he gave me a little acupuncture - just four needles.  I'm not sure if it did anything mind.  I barely felt them going in and after ten mins he took them out again.

Anyone else had it, and did it work ?
Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    edited June 2016
    It doesn't work beyond being a theatrical placebo.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    It hurt and it didn't work
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24646
    edited June 2016
    octatonic said:

Hmmm.  I've just been reading Ben Goldacre's take on it and at first glance, he thinks it does work - but only in the capacity of a placebo effect - which itself has been proven to be effective.  The trouble now is; now that I know it's not really doing anything, have I destroyed the benefits of the placebo effect for myself ?
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited June 2016
    photo 759485F8-7A51-44B3-A370-77DCE7FDF630_zpsemeftmb6.jpg

I have, not worth it to get rid of a mild
    headache if I'm honest.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    Emp_Fab said:
    octatonic said:

Hmmm.  I've just been reading Ben Goldacre's take on it and at first glance, he thinks it does work - but only in the capacity of a placebo effect - which itself has been proven to be effective.  The trouble now is; now that I know it's not really doing anything, have I destroyed the benefits of the placebo effect for myself ?
    Ok, let's deconstruct that.
    I'm basically say the same thing.

It doesn't work in the same was a drug works.
    For instance, if you were unconscious and given a drug to make your breathing better (like ventolin, which I need to live) then your breathing would become better.
    Your consciousness is not necessary for the drug to work.

If you were given acupuncture whilst unconscious then it would do nothing because you need to know you are receiving it for there to be any effect.
    If I was having an asthma attack and unconscious then acupuncture wouldn't work and I would potentially die.

As far as the placebo effect goes- the strange thing is being aware of something being a placebo is not an impediment to it 'working', but placebos don't work on all people.
    I find that placebo's do not work on me, for instance.

I'm personally wary of legitimising placebo effect based stuff in favour of actual medicine, especially given the 'alt-medicine' communities approach to politicising their work.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    Placebos work brilliantly on me as long as Lady BMcH administers them in a suitably theatrical way. Tictacs are very good for headaches.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Sporky said:
    Placebos work brilliantly on me as long as Lady BMcH administers them in a suitably theatrical way. 
    That's enemas.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1940
    I had it once and it did bugger-all for me. I'm a bit of a cynical git, which may explain it.
    The Mrs had to visit a physiotherapist after a car accident and it worked really well on her. She's not quite as cynical as me!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
    edited June 2016
    Further to this- there is a vet local to us (who I refuse to use) that promotes acupuncture on your pet.
    It is a complimentary technique- meaning it doesn't replace actual medicine.

Clearly the animal has no awareness of what a placebo is so who is this actually working on?
    Are the symptoms being improved by sticking in needles- or is it a theatrical process that is being performed on the owner?

Personally, I think it is morally repugnant to do it to an animal.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    I have and it reduced the pain in my knee, (whilst waiting for an op) the second session in had though had to be abandoned as it put me into a state of hysterical laughter that was uncontrollable and took and hour to subside.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27081
    I had it once, as pain-relief in preparation for a physio procedure on my elbow (friction therapy on a tendon...which really fucking hurts). Never had it done before. Now, I'm not bothered about needles at all. He stuck three needles in various places, which were fine. The last one went in just near my thumb; he was trying to find the spot and when he hit it...there was no pain at all, but I immediately and uncontrollably threw up all over him.

My conclusion from that anecdotal evidence is that it does apparently do something, but not necessarily what you're aiming for.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    edited June 2016
    octatonic;1105943" said:

Personally, I think it is morally repugnant to do it with an animal.
    I don't think you'll get too much argument with that statement.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12508
    My wife has had it. She was given it as part of treatment on her injured shoulder. As she also got physio and deep massage treatment at the same time she has no idea if it actually did anything.
    I had it once and it did bugger-all for me. I'm a bit of a cynical git, which may explain it.
    The Mrs had to visit a physiotherapist after a car accident and it worked really well on her. She's not quite as cynical as me!
    It was a physio (a very good one, actually) who tried the acupuncture with me. I think she uses it as a side-line in her bag of tricks. Anyway my problem was inflammation of the tendon that operates my fretting hand pinky, caused by overdoing practice of a repetitive arpeggio pattern at high speed. As well as the usual therapy, she tried sticking pins into the side of my hand. I observed that this was the first time I'd ever experienced someone sticking pins into a place that already hurts in an attempt to make it hurt less. You got a part of your body that's damaged? Stick a pin in it, that'll make it better! FFS. She did deal with the problem, but not by that method. 'Twas the first (AND LAST) time anyone tried acupuncture with me.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    lloyd said:
    octatonic;1105943" said:

Personally, I think it is morally repugnant to do it with an animal.
    I don't think you'll get too much argument with that statement.
    You scamp, with the tricksy editing.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9772

octatonic said:
    It is a complimentary technique- meaning it doesn't do anything.

FTFY

I'm trying to think of a joke here about using acupuncture to treat pins and needles... ah, supply your own punchline.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    It is a complimentary technique
    No it isn't. You pay for it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    Maybe they didn't push the needles in far enough?

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16372
    My sister is a trained acupuncturist and a reflexologist. If acupuncture seems odd then reflexology is coo coo for cocoa puffs. Not that she works as either at the moment ( or much of anything, lazy cow) but I've known people with anecdotal positives about acupuncture and there is some evidence about it's use for things like migraine. I guess if it is a placebo effect and as the patience you are convinced it is a placebo and essentially of no value then I guess it doesn't work at all.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22562
    The last one went in just near my thumb; he was trying to find the spot and when he hit it...there was no pain at all, but I immediately and uncontrollably threw up all over him.

http://media3.giphy.com/media/4qCEytljLybzq/giphy.gif

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom