It's turning nasty now

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    So few racists voted, but so many feckwits voted.

A friend of my Spanish wife said she voted leave "Because I want my country back". Er, which one is she talking about? Hindustan, where Celts come from? Why doesn't she go home?

She didn't just have one reason though. The other reason was that subsidised adult education has been cut drastically, and they have effectively replaced (as she sees it) her craft courses with "English for immigrants 101".

This is the type of person likely to vote Leave if they thought about it too hard. She owns a book, but it's probably "Jamie does it Italian style".

For me, what it goes to show is that media and government manipulation of opinion over the last X years has been all too successful. Create the "strain" that immigrants put the system under, sit back, and watch.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Frustrating as it is, everyone has a voice in democracy.  How do you define a level of IQ to vote when so many world leaders have no common sense ?

• SporkySporky Frets: 29194
    DefaultM said:
    an old lady that remembered all the different varieties of apples that she could buy in the days before the EU, but now she can only get Golden Delicious.
    I'm trying to work out where would only sell Golden Delicious.

Can't be a supermarket or a greengrocer. Where the hell is she buying her apples?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Sporky said:
    DefaultM said:
    an old lady that remembered all the different varieties of apples that she could buy in the days before the EU, but now she can only get Golden Delicious.

Can't be a supermarket or a greengrocer. Where the hell is she buying her apples?
    She pops over to Calais and buys them in bulk in the Tesco there.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    hopefully any real spike in overt racism will calm down

I am optimistic, since we are one of the most unracist countries in the world

To give perspective to this, I recall a news story from 2-3 weeks ago from Egypt (based on religion rather than race, but you get the idea - it's pretty much the same sentiment)

There was a rumour - A Christian man was accused of having an affair with a muslim woman
    They got the man's 70 year old mother, stripped her naked, beat her up and marched her through the streets, and burned down some Christian houses too
    The police turned up when it had ended

I am not excusing shitty behaviour, just saying it's not accepted here, the police do turn up, and the worst we get is nothing compared to many places
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    joeyowen said:
    These incidents aren't new, but brexit makes it newsworthy

Fucking cunts.
    ^^

This. It goes on every week and is now newsworthy. The far right has been on the rise across Europe for sometime.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

Frustrating as it is, everyone has a voice in democracy.  How do you define a level of IQ to vote when so many world leaders have no common sense ?

Arrgh! No they don't, or it should only be indirect at most. Democracy is letting Parliament get on with it, the only vote you have is in electing a representative. That's the whole point, these (MPs) are the people we have entrusted out vote to.
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fretwired said:
    joeyowen said:

Fucking cunts.
    ^^

This. It goes on every week and is now newsworthy. The far right has been on the rise across Europe for sometime.
    Do you think that there has been no increase in these incidents because of the referendum?

I'd be surprised if there wasn't to be honest.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

• FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    Sporky said:
    DefaultM said:

Has anybody explained to her that she won't be getting any apples, English or otherwise, in the near future because there'll be no one to pick them?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

That's the whole point, these (MPs) are the people we have entrusted out vote to.
    I entrust (with fingers crossed behind my back) my MP to the day-to-day running of the country. Not on decisions such as membership of the EU.  A line has to be drawn between management and wholesale change.

• shrinkwrapshrinkwrap Frets: 512
    edited June 2016
    It can easily expands to all areas.
    I've been wondering why Farage was saying " a victory for ordinary, decent people " and only just realised he's hinting at gay people.
    He'd be dangerous if he wasn't such a twat.

(err re. comment below : he's taking a swipe at what he considers indecent, un-ordinary people)
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    It can easily expands to all areas.
    I've been wondering why Farage was saying " a victory for ordinary, decent people " and only just realised he's hinting at gay people.
    He'd be dangerous if he wasn't such a twat.
    Really? How is it a victory for gay people? Because Europeans are homophobes? I don't understand.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    I think its just that those people who hold such views - feel its more acceptable to say them openly, using the "out" vote as justification.  There idiots.  the out vote means controlled numbers and controlled skill-sets.  It doesnt mean no eastern Europeans - and in fact may mean more from outside the EU - coloured and muslin among them.  

Last time I looked, most of the EU (that were leaving, and therefore controlling movement from) are white and Christian (of one form or another) - so quite why the "vote for white" comes from ??? Also the comments such as "anti Black" and "anti Muslin" thrown around by many of the "in" camp are also wrong - and in there own way really offensive to me.  I was in the "out" camp (though on the fence) and have many friends - both black and white,.christian, muslin and atheist - and count many Polish, Bulgarian and others among them and am definitely pro immigration - just from the tho whole world, and in a controlled manor.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

That's the whole point, these (MPs) are the people we have entrusted out vote to.
    I entrust (with fingers crossed behind my back) my MP to the day-to-day running of the country. Not on decisions such as membership of the EU.  A line has to be drawn between management and wholesale change.
    Absolutely.  How can one elected MP represent his constituency,  when that constituency is split pretty much 50/50 on a subject. 
  • MrBumpMrBump Frets: 1247
    Whichever way you voted, you can't deny that plenty have voted based on immigration (otherwise they would have not campaigned so hard on it), and small portion of those are just not nice people to say the least. When this small proportion see 52% voted out too, they are going to feel legitimised in their behaviour.
    The irony is that even if this is true we're likely to have to sign up to free movement to access EU financial markets.  Any British goverment that compromises the City of London in how it does business won't last long, and the EU will insist on freedom of movement (or at least freedom of labour) for that to happen.
    Mark de Manbey

Trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/72424/
    edited June 2016

MrBump said:
    Whichever way you voted, you can't deny that plenty have voted based on immigration (otherwise they would have not campaigned so hard on it), and small portion of those are just not nice people to say the least. When this small proportion see 52% voted out too, they are going to feel legitimised in their behaviour.
    The irony is that even if this is true we're likely to have to sign up to free movement to access EU financial markets.  Any British goverment that compromises the City of London in how it does business won't last long, and the EU will insist on freedom of movement (or at least freedom of labour) for that to happen.
    If we sign up to free movement as part of EU trade, there will be riots bigger than has ever been seen in the UK.  It wont happen - there are other modes of trade.

I think there has been a MASSIVE misunderstanding amongst many.  IMMIGRATION was never a subject on the cards int he in/out choice.  CONTROLLED MOVEMENT was.  There is a huge difference between the two.  

Just because people voted one way, without understanding what was on "offer" and the implications of that - does not then give them the right to demand what they "thought" they were voting for.

Absolutely.  How can one elected MP represent his constituency,  when that constituency is split pretty much 50/50 on a subject. 
    I would say that most MPs act on what they believe to be their constituents' best interests. A lot of motions are divisive, yet your MP still votes for what they believe in or have been told to believe in by party whips.

Even John Kerry thinks we witnessed democracy. The world's gone mad. Someone on Facebook told me we would "have to agree to disagree". There's nothing to agree or disagree with. It's a political system with a specific definition.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I don't believe that racism will ever be a thing of the past. We pass laws against it, and prosecute people for breaches of that law, but it still goes on all the time all over the world.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    joeyowen said:

Fucking cunts.
    ^^

Do you think that there has been no increase in these incidents because of the referendum?

They may have been a increase but the police aren't seeing a large spike - what's happening is it is getting reported and maybe some right wing wingnuts are feel liberated enough to be a little more public by filming themselves. Anyone who thinks racism magically vanished from Britain must living in cloud cuckoo land - it's been rising since 2001 fuelled by poverty, immigration, religion and the rise of parties like UKIP. And racism isn't just the preserve of angry white males - it's been slowly on the increase in cities as tensions grow between established ethnic communities, locals, radical Muslims, other religious groups and EU migrants. And there are tensions between specific ethnic groups like the Turks and Kurds which have led to gang fights and murders. The issue is complex - neatly pigeon holing racism and putting in a box with a label caused by Brexit is too simplistic. Polish EU migrants were being targeted by asians back in 2008.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-britain

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/05/racist-racism-racially-white-ethnic-minorities

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/racist-vandals-target-willenhall-mums-8679582

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/eastern-europeans-targeted-by-angry-asians-1-2486289

The list is endless .. not given much coverage though.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5774
    Fretwired said:
    lloyd said:
    Fretwired said:
    joeyowen said:

Fucking cunts.
    ^^

They may have been a increase but the police aren't seeing a large spike - what's happening is it is getting reported and maybe some right wing wingnuts are feel liberated enough to be a little more public by filming themselves. Anyone who thinks racism magically vanished from Britain must living in cloud cuckoo land - it's been rising since 2001 fuelled by poverty, immigration, religion and the rise of parties like UKIP. And racism isn't just the preserve of angry white males - it's been slowly on the increase in cities as tensions grow between established ethnic communities, locals, radical Muslims, other religious groups and EU migrants. And there are tensions between specific ethnic groups like the Turks and Kurds which have led to gang fights and murders. The issue is complex - neatly pigeon holing racism and putting in a box with a label caused by Brexit is too simplistic. Polish EU migrants were being targeted by asians back in 2006.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2014/may/27/-sp-racism-on-rise-in-britain

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/oct/05/racist-racism-racially-white-ethnic-minorities

http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/racist-vandals-target-willenhall-mums-8679582

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/eastern-europeans-targeted-by-angry-asians-1-2486289

The list is endless .. not given much coverage though.
    Whether the police are seeing a spike or not isn't hugely relevant in this IMO, personally I think there will have been a rise in casual off the cuff racism being voiced because of the referendum.

I have no evidence to back this up.

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1