• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2451
    I'm copyrigthing the term "NoBoJo".
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    Clarky said:
    Brize said:
    Clarky said:
    I wonder if we'll ever find out the real reason why he didn't stand
    Simple: because he didn't think he'd win.
    that's pretty much what I thought..
    also, I was thinking that he may not want to win either right now..
    cos dragging the UK out of the EU will be mucky.. would he want something like that, especially if it didn't go well, on his CV
    Yep, it's a poisoned chalice - a bit like taking over from Alex Ferguson.
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    Brize said:
    Clarky said:
    Brize said:
    Clarky said:
    that's pretty much what I thought..
    also, I was thinking that he may not want to win either right now..
    cos dragging the UK out of the EU will be mucky.. would he want something like that, especially if it didn't go well, on his CV
    Yep, it's a poisoned chalice - a bit like taking over from Alex Ferguson.
    Yes, I was just thinking how succesful Cameron had been and how could they possibly do better...
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Brize;1133112" said:
    Clarky said:

He knew on Monday but took time to decide whether he would partner with one of the others. Chose the long game instead.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    Clarky;1133108" said:
    So he can stand again after someone else has triggered Article 50. Right now he has very little chance of winning. In a few years time when Brexit is old news, he will be in a stronger position.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    HAL9000 said:
    Clarky;1133108" said:
    So he can stand again after someone else has triggered Article 50. Right now he has very little chance of winning. In a few years time when Brexit is old news, he will be in a stronger position.
    Word on the street is he's thinking of quitting politics.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I don't think Boris expected to be on the winning side of the Brexit hence the immediate back peddle on the £350m week and border security thing. He hoped to lose that and then take Dave's job on with the current/then situation. The low profile since winning was uncharatureistic for a self publicising Bojo, he knew he had been handed the poison challis. He'll let someone else sort out the nightmare minefield of Brexit and pop up somewhere else as a potential leader or maybe become an EU commisioner like all the other failed polititians.

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    FarleyUK;1133133" said:
    I'm copyrigthing the term "NoBoJo".
    Sounds like something my gf says......
    :|
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited June 2016
    ESBlonde said:
    I don't think Boris expected to be on the winning side of the Brexit hence the immediate back peddle on the £350m week and border security thing. He hoped to lose that and then take Dave's job on with the current/then situation. The low profile since winning was uncharatureistic for a self publicising Bojo, he knew he had been handed the poison challis. He'll let someone else sort out the nightmare minefield of Brexit and pop up somewhere else as a potential leader or maybe become an EU commisioner like all the other failed polititians.

That doesn't add up. Boris went against Cameron and had Cameron won Boris would be confined to the dustbin of history. Cameron bears grudges and doesn't forgive people who've slighted him. Cameron would have ensured May took over from him. Boris' only hope was winning Brexit - what he didn't bank on was the public fallout and  the fact that rank and file Tory MPs supported Remain and would never forgive, him hence his lack of support in the leadership race.

Gove's a weasel and deserted Boris ....

Sadly Boris is finished as a politician. His only hope is that party members kick up a stink so he gets a job in the cabinet. A long shot I'd have thought.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24891
    If only Mr Johnson Snr had pulled out.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

9reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Boris did some good things for London .. not right for PM though. He's actually in the wrong party. He should join the Lib Dems.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Fretwired;1133173" said:
    ESBlonde said:

That doesn't add up. Boris went against Cameron and had Cameron won Boris would be confined to the dustbin of history. Cameron bears grudges and doesn't forgive people who've slighted him. Cameron would have ensured May took over from him. Boris' only hope was winning Brexit - what he didn't bank on was the public fallout and  the fact that rank and file Tory MPs supported Remain and would never forgive, him hence his lack of support in the leadership race.

Gove's a weasel and deserted Boris ....

Sadly Boris is finished as a politician. His only hope is that party members kick up a stink so he gets a job in the cabinet. A long shot I'd have thought.
    If he had secured a Cabinet promise from one of the runners he would have been tempted but I think he would have choked on it.
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24876
    One word - twunt
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2739
    Presuming Corbyn won't be around for much longer, and with a new leader coming to the Tories will it be strange to see leaders of two large political parties who weren't voted in by the electorate. 
    Party leaders aren't voted for by the electorate.
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    I wonder if Boris every wanted to be PM.

He probably thought I dont want this agro, don't need it either.

He may of course have gotten himself into a total tangle by leading a winning campaign he thought would fail and then found himself in a corner.

Who knows.

Its amazing what a mess the UK has got itself into right now, because of a couple of decisions Cameron made. Jesus.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9831
    edited June 2016
    Fretwired;1133184" said:
    fretmeister said:

Boris did some good things for London .. not right for PM though. He's actually in the wrong party. He should join the Lib Dems.
    I suspect that the things he did as mayor (such as opposing the bedroom tax), are not the same things he would have done had he been an MP.

I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    jpfamps;1133204" said:
    earwighoney said:

Presuming Corbyn won't be around for much longer, and with a new leader coming to the Tories will it be strange to see leaders of two large political parties who weren't voted in by the electorate. Party leaders aren't voted for by the electorate.
    We don't have a presidential system. The names on your voting slip are candidate MPs not PMs.
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    earwighoney;1133116" said:
    Presuming Corbyn won't be around for much longer, and with a new leader coming to the Tories will it be strange to see leaders of two large political parties who weren't voted in by the electorate. 
    They were voted in by the electorate, if they're MPs. We don't have a presidential system, as I'm sure you know.
    Use Your Brian
    HAL9000 said:
    Fretwired;1133184" said:
    fretmeister said:

I suspect that the things he did as mayor (such as opposing the bedroom tax), are not the same things he would have done had he been an MP.

You could be right but he's to the left of Cameron. I always saw Boris as a Liberal. Read some of his old opinion pieces about social mobility and helping those at the bottom (he was a staunch supporter of tax credits and the living wage).

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    FarleyUK said:
    I'm copyrigthing the term "NobBoJo".
    mended
    play every note as if it were your first
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom