BoJo not standing for PM

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited July 2016
    Clarky said:

Three points.

iii) Cameron is solely responsible for this mess, no one else...yet all this political posturing seems to be letting the biggest failure in British politics [Cameron] of the hook.

I know you have no love of Cameron - but why exactly?  He didnt want a referendum, but was forced into one really.  He campaigned to stay in - how is he responsible for the country voting out?
    I think the remain camp did play their part in the leave vote..

rather than focusing on what we stand to gain by being in, there was too much in the way of threats and fear
    I think they just over egg'd it
    and people don't like threats from anyone.. especially the likes of Cameron, his posse, Obama, Juncker and the rest of the EU etc..
    it just makes for a siege / screw you mentality
    I think your absolutely right - but that would surly have come from the stratogists not the figureheads? splitting hairs maybe I guess.
    it don't matter I guess.. they all bought into that strategy..
    and the closer to voting day it got, and the closer the possible outcomes were getting to each other in the polls, you could sense their panic
    cos they just started laying it on thicker and thicker and made it progressively worse
    what didn't help was Obama with his 'back of the queue' comment.. came across as just another threat..
    and the EU themselves.. rather than saying 'the EU is a better place with the UK in it, let's work together to sort this out', they issued more threats 'we'll screw you if you pull out'
    it was those threats that made be very tempted to vote out myself..
    I was thinking 'is this what our friends and allies actually think of us? do I really want to be a part of this?'

then after the event, the Remain camp, Obama and the EU are saying 'oh my this is such a sad day'

well… it's a bit of a 'no shit Sherlock' moment.. 
    what on earth did they expect when they basically said 'do as you're fkn well told or we'll shaft you'

the whole thing was FUBAR right from the point of conception through to the event itself
    and the situation we find ourselves in today is equally FUBAR
    solving this will take an act of diplomacy that is nothing short of genius
    and so far I have seen no evidence of genius anywhere from anyone..
    play every note as if it were your first
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    edited July 2016
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    FarleyUK said:
    I'm copyrigthing the term "NoBoJo".

I copyrighted copyrigthing last year. That'll be £5 thank you very much
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    Fretwired said:
    However if for their second vote the Labour and Lib Dem voters decide to vote tactically (keep out the Tory candidate) and vote UKIP
    Why would they do that? They're far more likely to vote for the other of those two.

Regardless, the winner is the most broadly popular and least broadly unpopular candidate. One of the main advantages is that it takes away the need to vote first for a party you don't want in order to block one you *really* don't want.

Relevant to this thread is that the Tory Party will elect its new leader by a variation of this, in that candidates will be successively eliminated - in separate votes rather than by a fixed order of preference - until only two remain who will be presented to the general membership.

If it's good enough to choose a Prime Minister...
    That's a French style system with two rounds of votes. Would it work in the UK? Would people be prepared to vote twice?

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093
    That's why I prefer STV - it gets the whole thing done in one go, but produces a similar result.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Next PM is almost certainly May now.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Evilmags said:
    is this a good thing?
    she does seem to have a lot of experience..
    beyond that I know nothing about her
    play every note as if it were your first
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137
    I admitted I fancied her once. It was a while back. I had her down as a dominatrix. I'd probably get fed up with all the bootlicking after a while, though.

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    Clarky said:
    Evilmags said:
    is this a good thing?
    she does seem to have a lot of experience..
    beyond that I know nothing about her
    It depends on your point of view. She's well known for having given immigrants a very hard time already, including demanding that spouses of British service personnel born abroad have to have a salary around ten grand higher than the UK national average in order to stay, ie, get divorced or both get out.

She's also a big fan of repatriation rather than just capping future immigration.

She's quite a nasty piece of work really, but she might have to rein in some of her obvious pleasure in others' misfortune that she's displayed in the past if she gets the top job.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73093

p90fool said:
    She's quite a nasty piece of work really, but she might have to rein in some of her obvious pleasure in others' misfortune that she's displayed in the past if she gets the top job. 
    I could forgive her if she waited to do that until after she's dispensed summary justice to Gove and anyone else involved in the backstabbing and scheming that's just been going on :).

There was also quite a time early in her tenure as Home Secretary when she didn't seem to be able to open her mouth without being wrong and having to backtrack or finding her decisions overruled by the courts - hopefully she's learned from that.

I'm pleased she's also given up her plan to take the UK out of the European Convention Of Human Rights, but worried that's just a temporary position to gain more support. The good news is that it was apparently because there is 'no parliamentary will' for doing so. Hopefully the same will apply to repealing the European Communities Act...

I'd still rather take her than any of the other candidates though, since we have no other choice at the moment. I'd also prefer it if she could start as soon as possible. Cameron is a total lame duck now.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom