BoJo not standing for PM

What's Hot

Comments

• SnapSnap Frets: 6274
    We don't have a presidential system, as I'm sure you know.
    But increasingly I think there is a perception that we DO have a presidential system
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    Presuming Corbyn won't be around for much longer, and with a new leader coming to the Tories will it be strange to see leaders of two large political parties who weren't voted in by the electorate. 
    I think Corbyns staying.  He has the core Labour support.  It wont win an election, but if the party support him the MPs cant do a lot I dont think.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3454
    Boris is losing his hair. This was his last chance before male pattern baldness strikes. He'll be off to become a national treasure, as Guto Harry would say.
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2280

I think that there were two main reasons Boris wasn't backed and therefore pulled out. 1 He's proven that he's an idiot. He campaigned for Leave without any ideas how to achieve it. He has no credibility. 2 The conservatives cannot afford to have an overtly pro Leave PM. They will not win the next election.

All IMHO and if you disagree, please do it nicely.

Fretwired said:
    richh said:
    I wouldn't think that Gove would stand a chance in Hell though would he?

I'm no expert on politics but I'd have thought that Theresa May would be a more likely leader.
    Gove took out Boris to help May. Gove for chancellor?
    Of Gove and Boris got together and decided Gove not Borris should be the one to stand as Boris has been hit support wise from his party.  I think Boris for Chancellor with Gove as PM is an option as well - but I dont think that will happen.  I think May has it.

I heard Mays decleration speak live - and it actually made me search "how to join the Conservative Party".  I think she has the mood and the situation judged perfectly.  Whether she delivers of course is a completely different issue.

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    He's made a bloody mess and can't clean it up basically.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Boris is losing his hair. This was his last chance before male pattern baldness strikes. He'll be off to become a national treasure, as Guto Harry would say.
    His mate Trump will help him out ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24724
    edited June 2016
    There's something else going on here. My spydey-senses are tingling. Exuberant Boris throughout the campaign. Exuberant Boris immediately after the result. Very shortly after, he's totally subdued, looks...well... 'scared' would be how I would describe it, then goes into hiding, then, even though he's the favourite, suddenly pulls out of the race?

Someone has got to the bloke. I don't know who or why, but this isn't Boris's decision. We don't know what really goes on in the corridors of power, but there is definitely something fishy about this. It could be that the govt have no intention of letting the UK leave the EU and this was their plan B - in the event of a Brexit vote - get shot of Boris as he couldn't possibly orchestrate an about-face, put a figurehead PM in, even a sacrificial one, to oversee the return and commitment to, the EU.

This whole referendum could have been nothing but a charade.. an illusion of democracy with a ”referendum" that the Govt had no intention of losing. It was a gamble they didn't really expect to lose, but now they have, they have to implement "Operation Camembert".

It makes sense when you think about it... There is an
    unbelievable amount at stake, not just for the illuminati and big business, but the very integrity of the Kingdom itself is at risk. Why would they put all of that in the hands of the great unwashed ? Think about it... It doesn't make sense.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

Three points.

i) Gove announced on at least two TV debates that he would not run for PM.
    ii) Why is everyone so sure article 50 will indeed be triggered.
    iii) Cameron is solely responsible for this mess, no one else...yet all this political posturing seems to be letting the biggest failure in British politics [Cameron] of the hook.

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    edited June 2016
    Emp_Fab said:
    There's something else going on here. My spydey-senses are tingling. Exuberant Boris throughout the campaign. Exuberant Boris immediately after the result. Very shortly after, he's totally subdued, looks...well... 'scared' would be how I would describe it, then goes into hiding, then, even though he's the favourite, suddenly pulls out of the race?

Someone has got to the bloke. I don't know who or why, but this isn't Boris's decision. We don't know what really goes on in the corridors of power, but there is definitely something fishy about this. It could be that the govt have no intention of letting the UK leave the EU and this was their plan B - in the event of a Brexit vote - get shot of Boris as he couldn't possibly orchestrate an about-face, put a figurehead PM in, even a sacrificial one, to oversee the return and commitment to, the EU.

This whole referendum could have been nothing but a charade.. an illusion of democracy with a ”referendum" that the Govt had no intention of losing. It was a gamble they didn't really expect to lose, but now they have, they have to implement "Operation Camembert".

It makes sense when you think about it... There is an unbelievable amount at stake, not just for the illuminati and big business, but the very integrity of the Kingdom itself is at risk. Why would they put all of that in the hands of the great unwashed ? Think about it... It doesn't make sense.
    @Emp_Fab ... I think you're onto something .. Hesltine's savaged Boris and his words resonate with what you've written .. wis duly awarded .. :-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1988
    edited June 2016
    I think it's more a case of Boris being told by the Tory Party grandees that his participation in the leadership contest would not be welcomed.

That and the fact that he clearly didn't expect to win and had absolutely no idea what he was going to do once the Brexit result hit home.

He'll no doubt reappear once the dust has settled.
  • dtrdtr Frets: 1037
    We're such a nation of quitters, aren't we?  More shadow cabinet resignations today, Boris quitting...  at this rate the EU will have to take charge because everyone British will have quit by Christmas.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Three points.

iii) Cameron is solely responsible for this mess, no one else...yet all this political posturing seems to be letting the biggest failure in British politics [Cameron] of the hook.

I know you have no love of Cameron - but why exactly?  He didnt want a referendum, but was forced into one really.  He campaigned to stay in - how is he responsible for the country voting out?
  • ThorpyFX said:
    So the whole country has been put through the ringer so that several upper class buffoons can play power games. Wonderful.
    That's what it is looking like. Please accept a wiz.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12062
    If Cameron didn't promised a referendum at most he would have lost the general election and we have a different PM but stay in Europe.

Now we are going to have a different PM and out of Europe.

He has to take some blame for this, he put his political career over the good of the country.
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Emp_Fab said:

It makes sense when you think about it... There is an unbelievable amount at stake, not just for the illuminati and big business, but the very integrity of the Kingdom itself is at risk. Why would they put all of that in the hands of the great unwashed ? Think about it... It doesn't make sense.
    have a wiz from a member of the great unwashed
    play every note as if it were your first
    edited June 2016
    Again why?  

He offered what a lot of people wanted, and then gave what he promised (a first for politicians).  Are you saying he shouldnt have?  He personally probably got talked/persuaded/forced into putting it in the manifesto anyway - though we wont know for sure.

Ultimately it was the Conservative Party itself, not Cameron specifically who promised a referendum as it was a party manifesto - not a personal one.

Are you actually saying that he only won the last election on the promise of an EU referendum?  It may have swayed some who might have voted Lib Dems - but thats about it I should think.

Finally, there is only blame if there is fault - more than 50% who voted dont see there any fault, as the majority got what they wanted - no?  The people to blame for the "mess" if there is one is surly the people who voted to leave - not the person who gave them that vote.  
  • KKJaleKKJale Frets: 983
    I never thought I'd feel sorry for Boris Johnson, and I was right.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    edited June 2016

Three points.

I know you have no love of Cameron - but why exactly?  He didnt want a referendum, but was forced into one really.  He campaigned to stay in - how is he responsible for the country voting out?
    I think the remain camp did play their part in the leave vote..

rather than focusing on what we stand to gain by being in, there was too much in the way of threats and fear
    I think they just over egg'd it
    and people don't like threats from anyone.. especially the likes of Cameron, his posse, Obama, Juncker and the rest of the EU etc..
    it just makes for a siege / screw you mentality
    play every note as if it were your first
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I honestly think Boris, in his private moments, thinks we should have stayed. I don't think was ever about Europe for him, it was about dislodging Cameron and putting himself in the box seat. That turned out well for both him and the country......