Brexit legal challenge.

What's Hot
1141516171820»

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    p90fool said:
    p90fool said: 

Recession is an abstract and acceptable byproduct of austerity for a lot of people, but it isn't where I live, it's very real.
    Not that it makes a difference to your situation, but you kind of have that backwards - austerity (as it's been applied to the economy in recent times) is a remedial measure for coping with a recession.

As for being acceptable...a recession is acceptable to almost everyone until it affects them personally, because - as you say - it's an abstract concept. As soon as it hits them directly, it's the worst thing in the world and always somebody else's fault.
    In technical terms I agree, but it's only a remedial measure for three quarters of the population, to the extreme detriment of the rest.

That's good enough in a 2-party system to get re-elected though, we're a prosperous enough nation for Dennis Moore economics to be acceptable to most people, most of the time. 
    No, I just mean that austerity doesn't cause a recession, it's the result of it. It's not supposed to remedy anything for individuals, it's supposed to bring an end to the recession and hopefully prevent another (extreme external circumstances aside).
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom