fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24909

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I can't believe it will affect anything to be honest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73232
    Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    ICBM;1137085" said:
    Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    Because 32% of the country were too busy doing fuck all to cast their vote. They had their chance to make their feelings known and make themselves count.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7966
    Garthy;1137089" said:
    [quote="ICBM;1137085"]Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    Because 32% of the country were too busy doing fuck all to cast their vote. They had their chance to make their feelings known and make themselves count.
    [/quote]

72 + 32 = 104?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Garthy said:
    True (if you mean the 28% of the electorate who didn't vote), but that's not what I meant… it's that you would think a law firm would use the correct terms - that's supposed to be their job.

In fact it was only about 26% of UK citizens - not even 37%, since children are also citizens.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

guitarfishbay;1137090" said:
    [quote="Garthy;1137089"][quote="ICBM;1137085"]Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    [/quote]

72 + 32 = 104?[/quote]

Got to include the tower hamlets postal fraud!

8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Garthy;1137089" said:
    [quote="ICBM;1137085"]Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    [/quote]

Quite. This is getting tiresome. The majority of people who bothered to vote expressed a desire to leave. Nobody knows how those people would have voted and there's no way of finding out. If you don't vote you don't get a say - it's not that hard to work out - so if you wanted to remain but you didn't vote you don't really have any right to complain. It's like those disingenuous facebook posts being shared that said 'if you are undecided, vote remain'. Well no, that's not the point of a binary choice referendum.

@icbm, what would have been your response had the vote been similarly proportioned in favour of remain? I'm guessing along the lines of 'it doesn't show a desire to change so we keep the status quo'.

Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ICBM;1137094" said:
    Garthy said:Because 32% of the country were too busy doing fuck all to cast their vote. They had their chance to make their feelings known and make themselves count.

True (if you mean the 28% of the electorate who didn't vote), but that's not what I meant… it's that you would think a law firm would use the correct terms - that's supposed to be their job.

In fact it was only about 26% of UK citizens - not even 37%, since children are also citizens.
    Including children?! I know you won't give it up but you are definitely entering Farage country when you talk such nonsense.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    @icbm, what would have been your response had the vote been similarly proportioned in favour of remain? I'm guessing along the lines of 'it doesn't show a desire to change so we keep the status quo'. 
    Correct.

In fact, I would much rather have seen the referendum rules drawn up much more rigidly - ie something like a majority vote of a minimum 75% turnout, or a 40% threshold, or (best for such a momentous decision in my opinion) a true majority of the electorate. I am well aware that any of these would have stopped a Leave vote, but that isn't really the point - I would be more than happy to accept the result of a proper majority vote even if it was Leave.

The problem with the lazy ineptitude of Cameron not doing that is that it has left the result inconclusive - a small majority of those who voted wanted change, but far less than a majority of the electorate by a wide margin. To me that is extremely unsatisfactory for something of this importance. How low a turnout do you think would have made the result invalid?

It may be moot anyway - the legal challenge is correct because this is a Parliamentary democracy and the referendum was non-binding.

Chalky said:
    Including children?! I know you won't give it up but you are definitely entering Farage country when you talk such nonsense.
    Actually read what I said before you try to rubbish it.

I am not saying children should have been included in the vote, just pointing out that the wording of the webpage is incorrect because it says "The Referendum held on 23 June was an exercise to obtain the views of UK citizens, the majority of whom expressed a desire to leave the EU."

Which is untrue.

Only about 26% of UK citizens expressed a desire to leave the EU. You would think a law firm would know the difference.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 13reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ICBM;1137122" said:
    hungrymark said:@icbm, what would have been your response had the vote been similarly proportioned in favour of remain? I'm guessing along the lines of 'it doesn't show a desire to change so we keep the status quo'. 

Correct.

In fact, I would much rather have seen the referendum rules drawn up much more rigidly - ie something like a majority vote of a minimum 75% turnout, or a 40% threshold, or (best for such a momentous decision in my opinion) a true majority of the electorate. I am well aware that any of these would have stopped a Leave vote, but that isn't really the point - I would be more than happy to accept the result of a proper majority vote even if it was Leave.

The problem with the lazy ineptitude of Cameron not doing that is that it has left the result inconclusive - a small majority of those who voted wanted change, but far less than a majority of the electorate by a wide margin. To me that is extremely unsatisfactory for something of this importance. How low a turnout do you think would have made the result invalid?

It may be moot anyway - the legal challenge is correct because this is a Parliamentary democracy and the referendum was non-binding.
    Yet again you are just suggesting vote-rigging in favour of Remain....
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Chalky said:
    Yet again you are just suggesting vote-rigging in favour of Remain....
    No, I am suggesting requiring an actual democratic mandate for Leave.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    In a general election, if a party only wins 52% of seats they're a minority government and don't have a mandate to govern
    My V key is broken
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    They do if there's only one other party competing in the election, which, in a binary choice referendum, is effectively the case.
    Use Your Brian
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    For what it's worth, if the turnout was only one voter nationwide then the referendum, under the terms of the one we've just had, would still be valid. We can't retrospectively change the rules just because we don't like them.
    Use Your Brian
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5640
    ICBM said:
    Christ, give it a rest.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew;1137137" said:
    In a general election, if a party only wins 52% of seats they're a minority government and don't have a mandate to govern
    If this was a general election then Leave would have won 270 seats to 129.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    hungrymark said:

For what it's worth, if the turnout was only one voter nationwide then the referendum, under the terms of the one we've just had, would still be valid. We can't retrospectively change the rules just because we don't like them.
    It would be a valid result but it would still be non-binding, because those were the terms of the referendum.
    Brize said:

Christ, give it a rest.
    No.

This is important.

Or, you could give trying to demand a result which you know is not supported by the majority of the population a rest.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    edited July 2016
    Brize said:
    ICBM said:
    Christ, give it a rest.
    NO.  If you are so desperate to be out of Europe then get out.  Article 50 should have been invoked by now.  The very fact that no one has the courage to do it speaks volumes.  Don't tell me that you have to wait for advantageous deals, you can't have it both ways.  IN or OUT. Simples.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7752
    Garthy said:
    holnrew;1137137" said:
    If this was a general election then Leave would have won 270 seats to 129.
    How do you make that out?
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @icbm, you're on record saying that you think parliament should disregard the referendum result. But say the position was reversed. Remain won by 52 to 48, but the government decided that it was in the national interest to leave anyway and passed an act of Parliament to trigger article 50? My point is that I don't think you're objecting on principle. I think you just don't like the result.
    Use Your Brian
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom