Brexit legal challenge.

What's Hot

Comments

• BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited July 2016

Its all a moot point. I don't believe article 50 will be triggered leading to the exit of the EU.

We may as well talk about musical instruments and debate if you have the toilet paper with the loose part at the front or back.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    StanleyAccrington said:

Let's get article 50 implemented before there is any wrangling over the legality of the referendum or of the outcome/result of said referendum.
    Maybe we should just get the government to do whatever else it likes without regard to whether it's legal or not too?

That's a dictatorship.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17140
    This is becoming tiresome.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    StanleyAccrington said:

Let's get article 50 implemented before there is any wrangling over the legality of the referendum or of the outcome/result of said referendum.
    Maybe we should just get the government to do whatever else it likes without regard to whether it's legal or not too?

That's a dictatorship.

That's how it works .. we elect a government and they make decisions on our behalf. You could always move to Switzerland.

:-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    This is becoming tiresome.
    It reminds me of the child stamping his feet in the playground because he didn't get his own way.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    @Heartfeltdawn .. thanks. I'll have a read later.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Sickeningly chic lawfirm in narcissistic self publicity shocker.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    ICBM said:
    StanleyAccrington said:

That's a dictatorship.

The irony is almost too much to bear.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    Fretwired said:
    ICBM said:
    Chalky said:
    Yet again you are just suggesting vote-rigging in favour of Remain....
    No, I am suggesting requiring an actual democratic mandate for Leave.
    And if the roles were reversed? Had the leave remain vote won .. you'd be singing a different tune were the Brexit crowd moaning.

That's a bit boneheaded, man (presuming this is what you actually meant)...if the Remain vote had won, then there wouldn't need to be a democratic mandate to take action because nothing would would need to be done.

The fact is that it's been suggested that the government will do away with the constitutional process and trigger Article 50 illegally; that would leave it up to challenge and would likely put them in the position of having to subsequently reverse it.

This is just trying to force them to follow our democratic process. Chucking the rules away would not be a particularly smart idea.

Unless...that's the point. Trigger it illegally, get on with negotiations, then nudge someone to challenge its legality if things aren't going well; that's the only way the exit can be retracted within the 2 year timescale.

On the other hand...I no longer care. I still think leaving the EU is a stupid, stupid thing, but I've just discovered I can get most of the benefits of being an EU citizen post-Article 50 anyway, so I'm all right, Jack :D
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Fretwired said:
    That's how it works .. we elect a government and they make decisions on our behalf.
    Wrong - we elect a *parliament*. Important difference.

It reminds me of the child stamping his feet in the playground because he didn't get his own way.
    What it looks like to me is that the Leave side want their own way even though *they know* it's not supported by the majority of the country and the referendum was not legally binding.

I said the same before the vote - we're going to end up having a massive change imposed on the country by a vociferous minority who shout down the quieter majority. That is not democracy.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

we're going to end up having a massive change imposed on the country by a vociferous minority who shout down the quieter majority.
    If we end up staying in the EU, that's exactly what will have happened.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 866
    ICBM;1137085" said:
    Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    Doesn't make it less valid. As the adverts say "the majority of people, who expressed a preference". If you don't express a preference them your not bothered either way, so can legitimately be ignored with respect the choice.

It's pretty simple really.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    ICBM;1137128" said:
    Chalky said:Yet again you are just suggesting vote-rigging in favour of Remain....

No, your suggesting a method to get you're own way.

You need a new drum to bang.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    ICBM;1137128" said:
    Chalky said:Yet again you are just suggesting vote-rigging in favour of Remain....

No, your suggesting a method if getting you'd own way.

So...you'd advocate breaking the law to get your way a little quicker, on the acceptance that that's the only way in which Article 50 could be retracted later on?

Seems a bit self-defeating to me.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12256
    ICBM said:
    Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    AFAIK it was the single biggest ever mandate for a decision in UK history at 17.4m votes, but that's not enough?
    It's also worth bearing in mind that if the PM at the time does invoke Article 50 without going through parliament and it's determined to be legal (by whatever means), that sets an absolutely terrifying precedent.

Think about it. A Britain without any external legal influence, where the Prime Minister can wipe Acts of Parliament off the books whenever he/she chooses (since that's what triggering Article 50 amounts to). Essentially, that's a dictatorship.

Now think about that Prime Minister being Theresa May, aka Mrs Surveillance State.

Still think it's a good idea to skip the MP vote?
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM;1137128" said:

No, your suggesting a method if getting you'd own way.

So...you'd advocate breaking the law to get your way a little quicker, on the acceptance that that's the only way in which Article 50 could be retracted later on?

Nobody said breaking the law, as such.   Its about the validity of the referendum itself.

You could just have easily said "we intend to leave the EU - unless a majority of the population turn out and disagree with us - thats what we'll do.  It would have been just as valid and just as wrong.  You will ALWAYS get some people who wont vote - so by stating what ICBM seems to think is correct will ALWAYS weight the result - its just about which way you want to weigh it - which equates to rigging by those arranging the vote.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Need a vote by parliament otherwise effectively we have mob rule. Worth learning the lessons from Germany in the 20s and early 30s, where referenda were used regularly.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Nobody said breaking the law, as such.   Its about the validity of the referendum itself.
    Pushing Article 50 through without an Act of Parliament would be exactly that - breaking the law.

It was an opinion poll, nothing more. To treat it as equivalent to an Act of Parliament is utterly ludicrous, and the beginning of a very slippery slope. Besides, you can't say "Ah, but the rules said a 50% majority is all that was needed for a decision!" while simultaneously saying, "I don't care if the rules say it wasn't binding!". Both stipulations were understood long in advance.

It may well be that Parliament agrees and goes with it - in which case, fine. It does need to happen though.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

It was an opinion poll, nothing more.
    And the over-simplification award goes to...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom