Brexit legal challenge.

What's Hot

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5670
    ThorpyFX said:
    We the general public cannot be trusted to understand and analyse the facts.
    Speak for yourself. The vast majority of the public support assisted dying, and yet MPs voted against it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 145
    I do urge people to watch the following analysis irrespective of their position on the matter.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016
    prh777 said:
    I do urge people to watch the following analysis irrespective of their position on the matter.
    What, you mean watch the guy that depends on the EU for his living?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74501
    Brize said:
    In the context of a binary referndum the largest minority is a majority BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T VOTE DON'T COUNT!
    Of the vote, yes. Now show me where that means that the majority of UK citizens voted to leave the EU.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited July 2016

ICBM said:
    Brize said:
    In the context of a binary referndum the largest minority is a majority BECAUSE THE PEOPLE WHO DIDN'T VOTE DON'T COUNT!
    Of the vote, yes. Now show me where that means that the majority of UK citizens voted to leave the EU.
    Goodness me, where's the facepalm button when you need it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's get article 50 implemented before there is any wrangling over the legality of the referendum or of the outcome/result of said referendum.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    Garthy;1137089" said:
    [quote="ICBM;1137085"]Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    Because 32% of the country were too busy doing fuck all to cast their vote. They had their chance to make their feelings known and make themselves count.
    [/quote]

72 + 32 = 104?
    is the extra 4% due to immigration?
    play every note as if it were your first
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 145
    Brize said:
    prh777 said:

That is categorically incorrect.
  • littlegreenmanlittlegreenman Frets: 5149
    edited July 2016
    For those who haven't read the article linked to in the OP. This is what it's about.

"We must ensure that the Government follows the correct process to have legal certainty and protect the UK Constitution and the sovereignty of Parliament in these unprecedented circumstances. The result of the Referendum is not in doubt, but we need a process that follows UK law to enact it. The outcome of the Referendum itself is not legally binding and for the current or future Prime Minister to invoke Article 50 without the approval of Parliament is unlawful."

"We must make sure this is done properly for the benefit of all UK citizens. Article 50 simply cannot be invoked without a full debate and vote in Parliament. Everyone in Britain needs the Government to apply the correct constitutional process and allow Parliament to fulfil its democratic duty which is to take into account the results of the Referendum along with other factors and make the ultimate decision."

The people of the UK have had their say in the advisory referendum. Now it is up to Parliament to debate and vote on the issue. Only then can Article 50 be "legally" invoked. The law firm in question is simply trying to ensure that this is carried out.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6318
    Let's get article 50 implemented before there is any wrangling over the legality of the referendum or of the outcome/result of said referendum.
    It would definitely simplify the current situation and probably sooth the markets at the same time.

If we're really lucky Juncker will get rotten drunk to celebrate and make a clumsy pass at Merkel.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6329
    edited July 2016 tFB Trader
    Brize said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    We the general public cannot be trusted to understand and analyse the facts.
    Speak for yourself. The vast majority of the public support assisted dying, and yet MPs voted against it.
    I don't know why i have to clarify this... but here you go. We as a nation voted for a prestigious exploration ship to be called Boaty Mcboatface! I was not speaking for you or criticising your intellect, i wasn't even saying i couldn't understand the facts, I was applying a generalisation to the public at large which was pretty clear.

It says it all when as a country have a potentially life changing vote and 28% don't even turn up. So no, i don't believe as a nation we can be trusted to vote on a subject so important.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 15reaction image Wisdom
  • Let's get article 50 implemented before there is any wrangling over the legality of the referendum or of the outcome/result of said referendum.
    The referendum was nothing more than a popularity contest. It was never legally binding either way.

Parliament makes the decision after a debate and a vote.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 25599
    How about this then.... if, for some bizarre reason, we had a referendum on whether we should nuke Russia, and the result came back YES, by 52% to 48% - should the government actually launch the missiles ?  Yes, it was idiotic to hold the referendum in the first place, but a vote is a vote...
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 23195
    Brize said:

I trust you take the same line with Nigel Farage then. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    The referendum was nothing more than a popularity contest. It was never legally binding either way.

Doesn't sound like a very democratic system! What was the point of the referendum?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Doesn't sound like a very democratic system! What was the point of the referendum?
    It's entirely democratic, we voiced our opinion in the "advisory referendum". It was not hidden that it was purely advisory, quite the opposite.

Now our democratically elected officials have the task of deciding whether the result is to be enacted, or if there are other factors at play that would make this the wrong route for us as a country at this time.

I fully expect that Parliament will cede to the will of the people, but it is not necessarily a foregone conclusion.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    For those who haven't read the article linked to in the OP. This is what it's about.

"We must ensure that the Government follows the correct process to have legal certainty and protect the UK Constitution and the sovereignty of Parliament in these unprecedented circumstances. The result of the Referendum is not in doubt, but we need a process that follows UK law to enact it. The outcome of the Referendum itself is not legally binding and for the current or future Prime Minister to invoke Article 50 without the approval of Parliament is unlawful."

"We must make sure this is done properly for the benefit of all UK citizens. Article 50 simply cannot be invoked without a full debate and vote in Parliament. Everyone in Britain needs the Government to apply the correct constitutional process and allow Parliament to fulfil its democratic duty which is to take into account the results of the Referendum along with other factors and make the ultimate decision."

The people of the UK have had their say in the advisory referendum. Now it is up to Parliament to debate and vote on the issue. Only then can Article 50 be "legally" invoked. The law firm in question is simply trying to ensure that this is carried out.
    ^^This, in double bold and underlined.

All of the petty bickering and rabble rousing is utterly pointless.  It was a gauge of opinion, not law. It isn't necessarily going to happen.  It just sets out a new series of debates regarding the future of the United Kingdom and it's relationship with the EU.

WHY DOESN'T ANYONE UNDERSTAND THAT????
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    ICBM said:
    Someone needs to tell them that a majority of UK citizens did not express a desire to leave the EU.
    Please stop this .. there was a vote. If people couldn't be arsed to vote tough. More people voted to leave than stay. Have you any idea what these lawyers will unleash if they get their way - anarchy. It will fuel the rise of the far right. Is that what you want?

This is beyond pathetic.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Sounds like a bit of a fudge to me. I thought that Dave Cam said something in the line of 'whatever the outcome, we will carry out the wishes of the people. Suppose we will have to wait and see what decision of parliament is in the best interest for us!!!!
  • UnclePsychosisUnclePsychosis Frets: 13371
    edited July 2016