Proven ways to deter cats

What's Hot
So to start with, I'm pissed that it's ok for peoples cats to roam the estate and dig up my plants and shit in my front garden!
It frustrates me so much!

I want to keep the cats away without harming them, as I don't condone violence towards animals, even if they are pointless little shits!

So any suggestions on proven methods to keep away the cats?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Small alarms. They emit a horrible high pitched noise that we barely hear, but cats absolutely hate. When they trigger the sensor it goes off.

I'll add, though, they're generally audible to human folk too. But it doesn't carry through walls so it's generally not a problem. My girlfriend's family used to have terrible problems before putting a couple of those out around the veggie patch.
  • xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I hear Nigel Farage, Dave Cameron and Chris Evans are looking for new gigs.... :-\"
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8162
    Dogs?
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    Some pet shops sell pellets of Tiger shit.

Drop a few of them around the place. The average tabby will be petrified and stay well away. I used them at my last place and they were excellent.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Same issue here.

We've tried a few products like "Get Off" and that one that's made of Lion poo, but nothing seems to really stop them.

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24897
    The best way is getting your own cat.

Just a thought.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754

We've been having this issue for years ever since our dog died. I have literally tried everything from sonic devices, chemical deterrents and motion detector water squirters

We are the only garden in the area without a dog, so every cat use's our garden has an adventure play area and toilet. The only real deterrent is a dog.

• paganskinspaganskins Frets: 277
    I noticed our neighbour opposite is employing plastic forks stuck handle first into their flower beds with just the heads and tines showing, they had previously been using the alarms but every passing car was setting them off.

I'm not advocating the forks, though I expect most cats would have the sense not to put their feet down on them (the forks are bright white), but I expect it does deter squatting.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22613

So any suggestions on proven methods to keep away the cats?
    Anti-personnel mines. My lawn has never looked better and it keeps the local kebab shop well stocked. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • jamiexsilverjamiexsilver Frets: 404
    I use vinegar and coffee, that seems to do the trick.
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4777

I'm interested in this as well.  I've tried locking the cat flap but they just don't get the message

:-S
  • BogwhoppitBogwhoppit Frets: 2754
    edited July 2016
    Fretwired said:
    I had two of those, and they never worked. One cat used to sit next to it, the other take a dump behind it.

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16447
    Our dog; always come back to cat shit and sometimes a dead bird in the garden if we've been on holiday but SirSmellalot's presence keeps them off generally. My mother has a phobia about cats and my father tried various things to keep them away but nothing worked long term. A visit from us with an angry Jack Russell does the trick for a bit though.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • We have a dog, but he can't see out the front from the living room, and so as such doesn't scare them. 
    He has chased a few out of the back garden now, and the only ones we get out the back are new cats, who don't visit for long!

I have looked at the Sonic devices, but have heard mixed things about the effectiveness of them! I wouldn't get our own cat as I'm not a cat person, and as stated I don't agree with them being allowed to just roam free and shit everywhere!

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14012
    Build a sandbag machine gun nest near your front door with 2 MG42s pointed at 45 degrees and a box of potato masher grenades.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Build a sandbag machine gun nest near your front door with 2 MG42s pointed at 45 degrees and a box of potato masher grenades.
    Now, I love the sound of that, but I'm not sure the cats will understand what they are, and firing them would go against the no cruelty clause!
    I have considered a machine gun nest with a hose pipe and some kind of PIR triggered valve, to just soak them when they enter my lawn, but I'm lazy and it sounds like a lot of work!
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6942
    We've got two cats and a dog. Our dog would probably kill another cat if he got the chance (in his own garden).

Notwithstanding this next door's cat is an ever present in our garden. He actually goads our dog through the patio door...

So I'm going to say a dog might not be the answer likewise your own cat.
    Previously known as stevebrum
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4954
    Pepper.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5799

Cayenne pepper works well but it needs frequent replenishing and is thus expensive and time intensive.

I used to have a water squirter thing which used to go off when triggered by a motion sensor - that worked quite well until the kids broke it, they thought it was hilarious!

Lilies also work well......... kind of......... after the fact..........  :-\"

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.