Proven ways to deter cats

What's Hot

Comments

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9870
    Part of the problem is that the ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29224
    HAL9000 said:
    Part of the problem is that the ancient Egyptians worshipped cats as gods. Cats have never forgotten this.
    Neither have people with animals' heads.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    This one is expensive but it does work, although it takes a few weeks for the cats to get the hint

We have one in our back garden and we get far less cat shit than we used to.

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14022
    Build a sandbag machine gun nest near your front door with 2 MG42s pointed at 45 degrees and a box of potato masher grenades.
    Now, I love the sound of that, but I'm not sure the cats will understand what they are, and firing them would go against the no cruelty clause!
    I have considered a machine gun nest with a hose pipe and some kind of PIR triggered valve, to just soak them when they enter my lawn, but I'm lazy and it sounds like a lot of work!
    Imagine your neighbours if you did build a proper WWII German machine gun nest with uniforms and full crew, add an 88mm gun with netting, the whole works. They would think you are preparing for Brexit and get worried

• FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    mellowsun said:
    This one is expensive but it does work, although it takes a few weeks for the cats to get the hint

We have one in our back garden and we get far less cat shit than we used to.

@mellowsun .. interesting. I posted that on page one but another forumite said he had two and they didn't work. So it works for you?

We have four or five cats that give us grief.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    @Fretwired it seems to work for us, although we had to move it a few times to find the best location.

We have also mulched all our borders with coarse bark chippings which may be a factor.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    A sawn off shotgun

I know you don't want to hurt them, but shout dance rummy and fire near their feet.

Either the cat's will fuck off, or the owners will sell up.

I hate cats (actually, owners...).  How can an animal go around shitting in everyone's garden, but the owners not care?
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    joeyowen said:
    A sawn off shotgun

I know you don't want to hurt them, but shout dance rummy and fire near their feet.

I hate cats (actually, owners...).  How can an animal go around shitting in everyone's garden, but the owners not care?
    Err, its not that they don't care its just that there is fuck all they can do about it.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowen said:
    A sawn off shotgun

Err, its not that they don't care its just that there is fuck all they can do about it.
     ^^ Cats just do their own thing, it's part of their charm. You either get that, or not. No problem either way.

Myself, I'm not exactly enamoured with dog owners who allow their dogs to shit in the street and not clean it up after them. There are a huge number of these round by me, and most other places I've lived and I'd say it's a far worse problem than a bit of catshit around the rose bushes.
    littlegreenman < My tunes here...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27165
    I've found this does the trick nicely:

Seriously, we had a big problem with neighbourhood cats always being in the garden when I let the dogs out; haven't seen a single cat near our house since a couple of weeks after we got Coco.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • nick79nick79 Frets: 264
    Greyhounds are a great deterrent. Ours (sadly no longer with us) nearly caught a few before they got the message. 
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12462
    We've got a dog and 3 cats, they make a fool of the dog on a regular basis. No other cats visit the garden since getting the dog though.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    water cannon

I shot a few cats with the hose one year set to it's most powerful jet setting..
    it really pisses them off and it's lots of fun
    play every note as if it were your first
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7837
    edited July 2016
    Clarky said:
    water cannon

I shot a few cats with the hose one year set to it's most powerful jet setting..
    it really pisses them off and it's lots of fun
    This 100%. It's fun, cathartic and doesn't hurt the cats, but seems to keep them away.
    Also, if I see a cat shit in my garden and know who owns it, I tend to scoop it with a trowel and lob it back over the fence to the owners garden or leave it on their doorstep with a message that I am returning their property. (the shit not the cat). Serves no real purpose, but is also cathartic. 

I don't think I'm liked by the cat owners in our neighborhood.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • All great suggestions, the issue with spraying them etc, is that as it's the front lawn and a corner house, most of the street can see us out the front, which is why I can no longer garden in my pants!

I wouldn't want to be seen to be being cruel to the cats as that will upset them and they do take a lot of parcels in for us as we are never at home in the day time!

I may try putting Bark down, they are freshly dug borders as I took up the lawn edge to create them, we are also going to try letting our Dog out the front on a lead, problem is people over the road have a couple of quite aggressive Rottys which are never on leads, another pet hate of mine, if you can't control them they should always be on leads, and so we don't like our dog being in the street!
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    edited July 2016
    While the neighbours are out, swap their cat for a horse. Horse manure is good for the garden.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pepper dust has worked in the past, but I found zapping the furry critters with a large super soaker puts them off coming back again. Do cats have memories? :)
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6424
    edited July 2016

Pepper dust has worked in the past, but I found zapping the furry critters with a large super soaker puts them off coming back again. Do cats have memories? :)
    Yes, and getting soaked is high up their never-again list.  I found Tiger/Lion poo pretty effective, but you need to top up regularly.

I have the opposite problem dogs crapping and pissing on my lawn - both hounds are terrified of the cat but still unload in our garden if they think they can get away without a mauling from our mog.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Bygone_TonesBygone_Tones Frets: 1531
    Neil said:
    I hate the way cats crap all over people's gardens, kill songbirds and people still think they are cute.

But its OK to think dogs are cute? Because all they do is crap all over every bit of greenery there might be in any town or city, kill human babies and much larger wildlife than songbirds, and rip sheep to pieces leaving them to die in agony.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom