Cheers muchly, feckless Brexiters!

What's Hot

Comments

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Fretwired said:
    terada said:
    I never said they were friends. I have very few friends, these are the usual primary school parents who probably own 5 books between them.

ownership of books ≠ intelligence/common sense.

I point you in the direction of rule 1 

Well you just made that up, of course it doesn't have anything to do with intelligence or common sense. I use it as a gauge of "world-view" if you like. Narrow-minded people *tend* not to read much in my experience, regardless of education, social standing etc.
    Do you need to read much these days? People travel, go to work where they engage with people from different countries/backgrounds and watch TV and videos on the internet .. I've met narrow minded people who are well read. They tend to read books that chime with their point of view.
    As I said, it is just a gauge. But yes, I do believe people need to read and none of the other activities you mentioned can replace that.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Fretwired said:
    terada said:
    I never said they were friends. I have very few friends, these are the usual primary school parents who probably own 5 books between them.

Well you just made that up, of course it doesn't have anything to do with intelligence or common sense. I use it as a gauge of "world-view" if you like. Narrow-minded people *tend* not to read much in my experience, regardless of education, social standing etc.
    Do you need to read much these days? People travel, go to work where they engage with people from different countries/backgrounds and watch TV and videos on the internet .. I've met narrow minded people who are well read. They tend to read books that chime with their point of view.
    As I said, it is just a gauge. But yes, I do believe people need to read and none of the other activities you mentioned can replace that.
    Lots of research says otherwise ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/10138281/Letting-children-watch-hours-of-TV-improves-academic-ability-study-claims.html

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NikkoNikko Frets: 1803
    Fretwired said:
    terada said:

Books on CD?
    **Signature space available for a reasonable fee. Enquire within**
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 854
    fields5069;1140221" said:
    Well, using the usual accurate sampling methods used by statisticians, 100% are feckless. However I know that can't be the case, I think it's quite high though. I know people who voted Leave, fully expecting the demographic of their town to change radically. I know someone who voted Leave because his wife blindly voted Remain, so they would cancel each other out.

But yes I acknowledge that some voted Leave with a clear view of what this would mean for the future well-being of this country and its population as a whole.
    My sister voted remain just to cancel my leave vote out. She works in local housing authority, and actually thinks, on ballance, over time, we're better off out, but couldn't bear to agree with me.

There were some idiot voters on both sides.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    edited July 2016
    p90fool said:
    Three-quarters of my colleagues at work claim some benefit or other.

They can only dream of the world you inhabit, where wages actually pay the fucking rent.
    There's a lot of debate around the idea that all these top-up benefits do is allow companies to get away with paying poverty wages.

There's also an argument that companies can pay poverty wages because of the oversupply of labour in certain sectors, thanks to EU migration (which also causes rents to rise due to increased demand).

So it will be interesting to see if wages rise and rents fall as a result of decreased EU migration. I'm not holding my breath though.

In other sectors, there is a chronic shortage of skilled people. In my field (data science/machine learning) wages are getting to ludicrous levels in some sectors (finance/comms), who struggle to recruit because most of us prefer to work in a fun, startup environment.
  • Feckless? Feck you and you wifes job. Fecking twat. Thats democracy im afraid....deal with it.
    1reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31969
    Feckless? Feck you and you wifes job. Fecking twat. Thats democracy im afraid....deal with it.
    Charming.
  • teradaterada Frets: 5114
    terada said:

Most of the narrow minded people I've met are extremely well read, incredibly so in many cases.

In fact, in a world where everything carries inherent bias, it could be argued that reading only serves to limit open mindedness. Especially when you factor in cultural norms and social expectation.

Assumptions based on literary prowess have long been used to validate the opinion of the closed-minded, and exclude people who haven't had access to the most revered institutions.

In practice, the fallout left post Brexit has included nastiness from many people, both overt racism and xenophobia from one side, and classist elitist bigotry from the other. Both of these have been disgraceful, and painful to witness.

The comment quoted leans towards the latter, and in truth, on a forum populated by people that use non-literary media to express themselves, I would have expected better.

But then I am well read, so perhaps that could just be my own, narrow minded, opinion.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FX_MunkeeFX_Munkee Frets: 2491
    So next time he should just say they're a bit thick then?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • marantz1300marantz1300 Frets: 3107

We are fucked.

People ARE stupid and selfish.

I am kind and a genius.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Obviously calling people feckless because they didnt vote the way you wanted is fine.

Have another cry about it, boo hoo.
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    terada said:
    terada said:

Most of the narrow minded people I've met are extremely well read, incredibly so in many cases.

In fact, in a world where everything carries inherent bias, it could be argued that reading only serves to limit open mindedness. Especially when you factor in cultural norms and social expectation.

Assumptions based on literary prowess have long been used to validate the opinion of the closed-minded, and exclude people who haven't had access to the most revered institutions.

In practice, the fallout left post Brexit has included nastiness from many people, both overt racism and xenophobia from one side, and classist elitist bigotry from the other. Both of these have been disgraceful, and painful to witness.

The comment quoted leans towards the latter, and in truth, on a forum populated by people that use non-literary media to express themselves, I would have expected better.

But then I am well read, so perhaps that could just be my own, narrow minded, opinion.

Do you think that over the space of a bunch of racist xenophobic morons, or "I know what is best for you" elitists suddenly appeared, or were they just like that anyway and waiting to let it all out. 

Every country I´ve been to and the four I´ve lived in all had their fair share of idiots. Trying to pretend that this is a uniquely British problem is irrational, and trying to address the issues of why those people feel so disenfranchised and outwith normal society will mean politicians asking some not easy questions. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Obviously calling people feckless because they didnt vote the way you wanted is fine.

Have another cry about it, boo hoo.
    You are misunderstanding, I hope on purpose.

I'm calling people feckless for being feckless. If someone comes to me with a good explanation, perhaps suggesting that some sort of Benthamism had a part to play in their decision, then fair play. That's not feckless.
    terada said:

All you need to be able to do is read, and own a library card, hardly elitist or revered. I should say "used to need" because libraries have been a victim of cuts around my way. There is no excuse though.

I know a guy I used to go to school with, who went through Comp in the lowest sets, in my opinion failed by the system quite horribly. He always seemed completely dozy and out of it. Now he's one of the most interesting people I know, widely read, definitely one of the finest artists I know but then he was always that. His love of books, film, news, etc. have helped him to arrive at some wonderful insights into the world we live in and he lives his life with passion.

I really think you are insulting everyone who has ever been widely read, yet nowhere near elitist. You are re-inforcing an opinion, and idea, which people use to justify their lack of reading. Some people just like to explore, regardless of background.

i would agree with another point on this thread, that exploration of TV, film, conversations with people from different backgrounds, can also serve a purpose to widen a person's mind and world-view, but then I find that these people also like to read, more often than not. Why would they restrict themselves, being the people they are with an apetite for other media and experiences?
    Fretwired said:
    Fretwired said:
    terada said:

Lots of research says otherwise ... http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/children/10138281/Letting-children-watch-hours-of-TV-improves-academic-ability-study-claims.html
    Maybe I haven't been clear enough, if not then fair enough. I'm actually referring more to a person's world-view, how open their mind is. Yes other media can complement reading, although I would suggest that there are far more good books than good TV. But this is not about academic ability, more about intelligence and using it to its full potential.
    Feckless? Feck you and you wifes job. Fecking twat. Thats democracy im afraid....deal with it.
    This is a total lol. Do you know what democracy is? It appears not, but then you are in good company.
  • Boo hoo
    Boo hoo
    At least you have a nice dog.
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    someone said to me 

"Travel narrows the mind"

I think I know what he meant
    someone said to me 

"Travel narrows the mind"

I think I know what he meant
    What did he mean?