What's Hot
124»

Comments

• ToneControlToneControl Frets: 12116
    someone said to me 

"Travel narrows the mind"

I think I know what he meant
    What did he mean?
    That in-depth experience of being in foreign countries leads you to forming opinions on the nature of the inhabitants of each country, whereas if you'd not travelled and were fair-minded, you hopefully would have no preformed opinion

It's a tongue-in-cheek comment, but it is a fair point - spend time in any country and try to not form any opinions
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    ToneControl;1141520" said:
    fields5069 said:

ToneControl said:

someone said to me 

What did he mean?

That in-depth experience of being in foreign countries leads you to forming opinions on the nature of the inhabitants of each country, whereas if you'd not travelled and were fair-minded, you hopefully would have no preformed opinion

It's a tongue-in-cheek comment, but it is a fair point - spend time in any country and try to not form any opinions
    I think there is an ounce of truth in that. How many times do we hear someone come back from a far flung land and proclaim 'what the people are like'? As if interactions with a hundred people from that country, most of which are as a supplier-customer tourist, will give you genuine insight into the whole country. Members of my family are well travelled, living and working in 4 continents since the 70s, but are clear that what they experienced was only a slice of life in each country, nothing more nor less than that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    someone said to me 

What did he mean?

Hmm, OK to a certain extent I guess. I would think a fair-minded person wouldn't take what they found and stereotype a whole nation, but would appreciate the complex nature of the population. I know a lot of Spanish people are institutionally racist, have no concept of personal space, and talk for hours about bugger all. But to use that to form an opinion on A. N. Otro would be stupid.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom