Corbyn - I don't get it

What's Hot
14567810»

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755

Been thinking more since my last post. On the housing/cost of living thing I'd REALLY like to see some estimates on the impact of a house price drop of say, 10%, 15% and 20%, in terms of how that would benefit the cost of living against how many people it would hurt in terms of negative equity and/or bankruptcy.

Well I think we may find out soon......

One of the reasons, in my opinion, that the recovery from the last recession has been modest is that it wasn't accompanied by a substantial drop in house prices, unlike say the early 90s recession, or the US in the 2008 credit crunch.

Essentially an unproductive part of the economy is sucking money out of the productive part.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    jpfamps said:

Been thinking more since my last post. On the housing/cost of living thing I'd REALLY like to see some estimates on the impact of a house price drop of say, 10%, 15% and 20%, in terms of how that would benefit the cost of living against how many people it would hurt in terms of negative equity and/or bankruptcy.

Well I think we may find out soon......

One of the reasons, in my opinion, that the recovery from the last recession has been modest is that it wasn't accompanied by a substantial drop in house prices, unlike say the early 90s recession, or the US in the 2008 credit crunch.

Essentially an unproductive part of the economy is sucking money out of the productive part.
    Mark Carney has given a couple of carefully worded warnings suggesting he's seeing it coming-out doesn't want to scare the markets and cause a crash in the first place. I've been waiting for it since the US fell over tbh. Everything that's been done since has kicked the can down the road but it can't go on forever.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74501
    Probably the best option for the most people is for prices to level off more or less indefinitely, and be slowly eroded by inflation. How that can be managed without active regulation is going to be a difficult balancing trick, and even if it can it will take decades before it's really effective.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74501
    I've also got to say that if I saw this

http://ichef.bbci.co.uk/news/624/cpsprodpb/72A6/production/_90405392_9a825e5b-fc01-4d28-a02b-df2df3a1fa5a.jpg

My first instinct would be to vote for Corbyn.

It's like she hasn't learned anything from why none of the other three candidates came close to beating him last time.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:

It's like she hasn't learned anything from why none of the other three candidates came close to beating him last time.
    Or why she came 4th in the Deputy Leadership contest............

ICBM said:
    How that can be managed without active regulation is going to be a difficult balancing trick, and even if it can it will take decades before it's really effective.
    You are of course making the assumption that a) the market can be controlled, and b) there will eventually be some inflation.
  • hungrymarkhungrymark Frets: 1782
    Use Your Brian
  • EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    jpfamps said:

ICBM said:
    How that can be managed without active regulation is going to be a difficult balancing trick, and even if it can it will take decades before it's really effective.
    You are of course making the assumption that a) the market can be controlled, and b) there will eventually be some inflation.
    A) It can't. Their are always huge, unintended consequences with every intervention. 

B) at current interest rates inflation is pretty much going to happen. The economy is still full of bubbles. 

Whenever average house prices have been at around 4.5x average salary they have fallen.  
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6813
    At least he's not going batty like Sturgeon, who thinks that after the UK leaves the EU, Scotland can stay in the UK and in the EU.