Found a wallet this morning...

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12667
Well, actually Saturday morning, out walking the dog on the little park on the end of our street. Had £750 in it!!!!!
Have to admit I was in two minds, I'm skint and have been gassing for an SG for ages but It had a driving license in it with address which was only two streets away, so took it round. To say the guy was pleased is an understatement. Well thats my good Karma dealt with for a while I hope.

A few years ago in my former life I would have kept it with a little twinge of guilt but hey ho, sometimes you gotta do these things for the good of humanity. All hail me, self satisfied and sanctimonious c**nt that I am. Still skint though.
"OUR TOSSPOT"
0reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 28reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4101
    edited July 2016
    You done the right thing.  Coincidently I lost my wallet tonight.  Just cancelled my cards; just written off the last two nights and three gigs as lost forever.  And just heard that my wallet has been found.  Such relief. 
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monofinmonofin Frets: 1118
    Hats off to you. Id have done the same despite the temptation. Bet it felt good when you saw how relieved he was
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Fair play (literally). Good for you.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28753
    You are a good person! I've done the same in the past, but never with that much cash inside!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited July 2016
    You did the right thing - but had you not, you'd have stolen the guy's money - admittedly in circumstances which might have made you feel less guilty than if (say) you'd mugged him.

A pretty clear-cut decision as far as I'm concerned....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • sinbaadisinbaadi Frets: 1424
    I think we assume that in this day and age nobody else would return the wallet.  Had it been mine I would have given you at least £100 as a reward because by that point I would have accepted that I had lost £750.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1820
    What kind of person has £750 in their wallet?! I'd have been nervous that he was a dealer or something!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    edited July 2016
    sinbaadi said:
    I think we assume that in this day and age nobody else would return the wallet.
    Why? 'Nobody' else?

Are you suggesting that people are less decent than they were (say) 10 years ago? Or that keeping it could be justified by the finder's 'need' in these austere times?

I'd expect the vast majority would have returned it. The fact it had an address made returning it VERY easy. Like I said before - not to have done so means you've nicked it.

• HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 10073
    Some friends of mine found a wallet while in New York and handed it in at a police station. Apparently the desk Sargent called all his colleagues over to take a look as it was the first time he'd ever known anyone to hand a wallet or purse in.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    2reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4499
    Good man JB

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5321
    Please tell me he at least gave you £20? Good for you though..Karma will be pleased, as she does get pissed off very easily..
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    Well done that man, but I echo the comments about carrying that amount of cash around.  I find it very odd.  Very rare I have more that £30 in cash, and usually its just change for car parking.  

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    I hope karma does exist because you deserve some.  Nice one. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 28098
    BigMonka said:
    What kind of person has £750 in their wallet?! I'd have been nervous that he was a dealer or something!
    ...or somebody about to head off to meet up with someone from a forum to buy a guitar.

Just sayin' ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Tone71Tone71 Frets: 637
    Nice one, I also hope he dropped you a few quid as a thanks.
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7716
    edited July 2016
    You did the right thing. Out of interest what would everyone do if they found that wallet and it had no ID inside and no idea of telling where it came from?
  • boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12902
    I'd guess, with that amount of money, most people would hand it in. It might be an old dear's life savings. 
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 3027
    edited July 2016
    DefaultM said:
    You did the right thing. Out of interest what would everyone do if they found that wallet and it had no ID inside and no idea of telling where it came from?
    This happened to my dad in the 80's though the amount was around £300.  He handed it to the police.  6 months later it hadn't been claimed so was sent to him.  I'd do the same.    

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited July 2016
    BigMonka said:
    I regularly carry £250. I use that as my spending money for 5-6 weeks (including petrol).
    That way I can keep tabs on how much I've spent. If I put anything on my card, I'll put that amount from the £250 back in the bank.

Incidentally I had £800 in my wallet when I got the DM Strat. I'd bet the guy had that amount for a specific reason.

On and well done JB, it was the right thing to do.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    Good work. I found a wallet a while back with a hundred odd quid and all the cards, plus a work ID card. I called the company and left a message for the woman who dropped it and left her my number. She called an hour later and popped in later that day with a bottle of bubbly for me. She was so grateful, and only lived a few doors down. `

Definitely the right thing to do Jonny, and you picked up some heaven tokens!  =)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom