Found a wallet this morning...

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• merlinmerlin Frets: 6939
    Now I remember that I found a chemist bag containing tablets for type 2 diabetes. The address was on my street, so I took them up the hill and rang the bell. The name on the label was an Egyptian one and a young Egyptian guy answered the door, but he spoke hardly any English. I handed over the bag and he asked me to wait, then came back with £60 and pushed it my way. I tried to explain that I only lived down the road, was diabetic myself and understood that losing medication is bad, so it was a good deed and he didn't have to pay me anything. Of course, it's a cultural thing and he insisted and I understood that I oughtn't refuse so I took twenty and walked 2 minutes home. 

Another time, I found a mobile phone on the back seat of a cab and called "dad", like what Sporky did. It was really friendly, he called the boyfriend and asked the boyfriend to call me, we fixed a pickup with him and her and it ended up with them buying me a pint. They were a nice couple too. Didn't stay in touch though. I suppose I shouldn't have suggested a threesome...  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5106
    edited July 2016
    merlin said:
    Now I remember that I found a chemist bag containing tablets for type 2 diabetes. The address was on my street, so I took them up the hill and rang the bell. The name on the label was an Egyptian one and a young Egyptian guy answered the door, but he spoke hardly any English. I handed over the bag and he asked me to wait, then came back with £60 and pushed it my way. I tried to explain that I only lived down the road, was diabetic myself and understood that losing medication is bad, so it was a good deed and he didn't have to pay me anything. Of course, it's a cultural thing and he insisted and I understood that I oughtn't refuse so I took twenty and walked 2 minutes home. 

Another time, I found a mobile phone on the back seat of a cab and called "dad", like what Sporky did. It was really friendly, he called the boyfriend and asked the boyfriend to call me, we fixed a pickup with him and her and it ended up with them buying me a pint. They were a nice couple too. Didn't stay in touch though. I suppose I shouldn't have suggested a threesome... 
    Ahhh the tricky Dad/Boyfriend combo. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TheBlueWolfTheBlueWolf Frets: 1536
    The old me would have trousered the cash too but you did the right thing giving it back  ;)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    As mentioned on another thread, managed to leave my wallet on the bus the other day. Spoke to the bus garage and the driver had already radioed in saying he had it. Picked it up at the bus garage later that afternoon. There was £80 cash in it and so grateful was I that I left a £20 for the driver to get a beer or whatever. Bloke behind the counter looked nonplussed and said no-one had ever done that before, which I have to say I found surprising.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8563
    Once found a phone, called the "dad" number and said I'd swing by their house and drop it off since I was passing by anyway. The girl who came out front to collect it didn't even say thanks or look at me. I think she'd lost it on purpose because she wanted a new one...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CabbageCatCabbageCat Frets: 5549
    sinbaadi said:
    I think we assume that in this day and age nobody else would return the wallet.  Had it been mine I would have given you at least £100 as a reward because by that point I would have accepted that I had lost £750.
    I don't think many people assume that. They fear it but I think if you lose a wallet with your address in there is a very good chance you'll get it back.

I have a little note in my wallet saying how to get in touch with me and thanking the finder in advance. Don't think I'd give a reward though unless it was a kid that found it. I would certainly be surprised if someone offered me one - perhaps even moderately insulted. 
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2959
    When I used to swim 4 or 5 times a week, I forgot to pick up my wallet in the changing room. I realised and went back an hour later, thankfully somebody had handed it in, sans the £6 and few coppers that were in it.

Ok, the fiver I get, but taking the loose change that probably amounted to 20p? Come on.
  • Good few years ago I found a wallet lying on the ground in Brum.  Picked it up without thinking and handed it in to the Police station on my way back to my student digs.

Weekend after next I returned home and got a phone call from the owner who turned out to be a cop who had lost his wallet containing his warrant card.  He thanked me and sent me all the cash there had been in the wallet.

So far so good, I'd given my name and address and finding my parent's phone number would be trivial.  Except I'd given my uni address and this was the first and only call he'd made to my parent's home, not the weekend immediately after I handed it in, but two weeks after that, the one week I was back home.

Could be coincidence, but then, there are cops and there are cops...