What next after Trump?

What's Hot
https://medium.com/@theonlytoby/history-tells-us-what-will-happen-next-with-brexit-trump-a3fefd154714#.o0rmkd8yq

This article chimes a lot with where I think we are heading. As I have 2 beautiful young kids I'd like some kind folk to read it and set me right , I've always been a little pessimistic. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    It's an interesting conundrum - it's often said that those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it… but equally, those who learn too much from history can condemn themselves to repeat it as well.

I actually think he's wrong about a few things there and I don't see the future as necessarily as pessimistic as that, but we need to be careful about uncritical optimism that 'things will be fine' too.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    edited July 2016

change underwear

tae be or not tae be
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Throw ya jeans away
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    He'll be shot by a black cop
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • speshul91speshul91 Frets: 1397
    Genuine lol. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited July 2016
    I've read much  better stuff here, tbh. 

The self-styled archaeologist / anthropologist / historian author Tobias (Toby) Stone misspells Le Pen, dismisses Archduke Ferdinand (sic) as a 'minor European Royal', includes the Black Death in a piece about things humans do to themselves, compares the Nice attack to the Battle of the Somme and attempts unconvincingly to draw a straight line from Brexit to a nuclear war beginning in the eastern Baltic.

But who's to blame for the imminent apocalypse? Why, it's those 'angry' people who permit themselves to be gulled by 'populists'. By contrast, the author suggests that those who embrace open societies and reject racism 'are less violent, so end up in prisons, camps, and graves'. No hyperbole there, eh?

And why is the author sharing his creaky, partisan end-of-days analysis with us? 

"Perhaps I’m just writing this so I can be remembered by history as one of the people who saw it coming".

Such vaulting ambition in one so young.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    I believe the techinical term for taking a trump out is an 'over-ruff'.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    @skankdelvar - you put it much better than I could be bothered to :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    ICBM said:
    @skankdelvar - you put it much better than I could be bothered to :).
    You're too kind. I should have included a TLDR summary:

@OP - Don't worry. The guy's mostly talking bollocks.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4858
    We are going to go through a period of protectionism as a consequence of globalism. Hopefully we will not blow each other up in the mean time. Countries with natural resources will protect their economies to a point (with exports going down so they have to rely on a domestic market) counties with out will become poorer until they decide to open up again. And the cycle will start again
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12333
    edited July 2016
    What I don't understand is how people are voting for him.

fair enough you can be right wing and find his political stance agreeable.

fair enough you can't stand the current establishment and you want to throw a stick into the cogs.

fair enough you like someone who seemingly shoot from the hips.

fair enough you like a bully who spends half his time coming up with nicknames for his opponents.

but are they so blind not to see through all the lies and bullshit and the general low IQ in both speech level and answers to questions in interviews? There have been various studies to show that on average 93% of the stuff he say are lies.  There have been studied to show his speech level is of a 9 year old.  There are many interviews where his answers just made no sense and he just simply make up words on the spot...."bigly"!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774

fair enough you can't stand the current establishment and you want to throw a stick into the cogs.

fair enough you like a bully who spends half his time coming up with nicknames for his opponents.

but are they so blind not to see through all the lies and bullshit and the general low IQ in both speech level and answers to questions in interviews? There have been various studies to show that on average 93% of the stuff he say are lies.  There have been studied to show his speech level is of a 9 year old.  There are many interviews where his answers just made no sense and he just simply make up words on the spot...."bigly"!

I've had the same moments of wondering how on earth people are voting for him but insuspect he is appealing to a type of voter that often doesn't bother and feels politics isn't for them and making them feel their vote counts and at the same time he has (quite cleverly imo) developed a style in his speeches that appeals to emotions rather than facts so people who don't check details are persuaded.    
    It scares me but I can see him winning.   
    There are a vast number of Americans who are under educated or who's life is so removed to the education they did recieve that they might as well not had much. They just don't understand how the the world works, Trump is like a politics for Dummies book.
    John_P said:

I've had the same moments of wondering how on earth people are voting for him but insuspect he is appealing to a type of voter that often doesn't bother and feels politics isn't for them and making them feel their vote counts and at the same time he has (quite cleverly imo) developed a style in his speeches that appeals to emotions rather than facts so people who don't check details are persuaded.    
    It scares me but I can see him winning.   
    There is one silver lining.

whereas most other politician you wouldn't know they are lying until after the fact. With Trump, his bullshit are so big that the other world leaders will see through it before he even finished his sentence so he won't get anywhere with them.  In his business he could use various tactics to get what he wants, with his presidency however, it will be only 4 years and he will be out and will just wait it out.  Like Mexico and the wall.  They are not going to pay a dime and just wait until he is out of office.  He is on the clock the moment he steps in.
  • DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4714
    ^4 years is a mighty long time though. Where were you in 2012?
  • MossMoss Frets: 2409
    DesVegas said:
    Yup, easily long enough to start another war

I could see there being massive rioting and unrest within the country if he does get in
    Stop crying, start buying
    Moss said:
    DesVegas said:
    Yup, easily long enough to start another war

I could see there being massive rioting and unrest within the country if he does get in
    You need approval of congress to go into war.  That means support of the senate and the house, not something he can do by himself, fortunately.
    But if he says something stupid somebody else might start a war against the US and the senate will agree to defend the nation
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Hasn't he bankrupted loads of businesses too?
    My V key is broken
  • The replies started so well , with the fella must be wrong because he cannot spell. 

Its now now taken a turn more for imminent war.,

FWIW I reckon Trump will get in, I reckon Le Pen will get in and just hope Germany remains centre left.