Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs that make you cringe

What's Hot

Comments

• Rupert Holmes, Escape.  Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaargh!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Some nice rhythm guitar work on it though, eh @Skarloey?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A few of mine are (i'll go for a mixture of safe bets and a few controversial ones):

Queen - Don't Stop Me Now. Just awful hyperactive tosh.
    Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson. Painfully ironic that (for me) crosses the line between pastiche and trite rubbish. 
    That song Muse did for the 2012 Olympics. Still bothers me today, and I don't even like them normally.
    Anything by the following bands: Fratellis, Kooks, Pigeon Detectives, Scouting for Girls, the Automatic, etc etc. Awful "student union" pop.
    James Bay - Hold Back The River. Sounds like James Blunt plagiarising Proud Mary.
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • Oh and that "let's Marvin Gaye get it on" song whoever that's by. I'd risk a car accident if it meant I had managed to turn that off the radio
    Do you like pina coladas?
  • Too many to mention but a particular unfavourite that springs to mind is Guns n Roses cover of Knocking on Heaven's Dowow!
    Hay, hay, hay hay yeah!
    Do you like pina coladas?
    Nope, but gettin caught in the rain is rather nice.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A few of mine are (i'll go for a mixture of safe bets and a few controversial ones):

Uptown Funk - Mark Ronson. Painfully ironic that (for me) crosses the line between pastiche and trite rubbish. 
    That song Muse did for the 2012 Olympics. Still bothers me today, and I don't even like them normally.
    Anything by the following bands: Fratellis, Kooks, Pigeon Detectives, Scouting for Girls, the Automatic, etc etc. Awful "student union" pop.
    James Bay - Hold Back The River. Sounds like James Blunt plagiarising Proud Mary.
    Huge +1 for Scouting For Girls. She's So Lovely alone would earn them the death penalty in The People`s Republic of RocknRollDave.

Huge WTF though for Uptown Funk and Don't Stop Me Now

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72407

Huge WTF though for Uptown Funk
    I can't stand it either - in fact I detest anything by *either* Bruno Mars or Mark Ronson, for the same reason - there's an insufferable smugness and self-satisfaction that comes out in their music. So both together...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• BidleyBidley Frets: 2928
    edited September 2016
    I find myself in the curious position of really rating Bruno Mars as a vocalist, but hating everything he's ever put out.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I really hate that x factor piano cover of Dancing on My Own thats going round now. The original's only 5 years old and all they did was take out the danciness and replace it with dreary coldplay-angst.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Huge +1 for Scouting For Girls. She's So Lovely alone would earn them the death penalty in The People`s Republic of RocknRollDave.

Huge WTF though for Uptown Funk and Don't Stop Me Now
    Uptown Funk just sounds like they got a midi file for Oops Upside Your Head and used it as the basis for writing a song systematically featuring every possible cliche of funk type music without any attempt to bring anything new to that style, add a bit of Ronson smugness at loving his own ironic-ness, and a tune that has a lot of quaver repeated notes (which I really hate in tunes) which just  makes me cringe at the smug love-in awfulness of it all :)

Don't Stop Me Now has always got on my wick though, I really don't like hyper active music which this definitely is, I always feel like it's a piano bashing "in your face" assault on my normally fairly non-plussed demeanor, that tries so hard to be happy happy music it actually sends me the other way into hating it and it making me cringe and scowl. I really hate the piano rhythm playing, as a piano player predominantly myself I really hate that kind of rhythmic chord bashing that is usually exhibited by school kids who learn on keyboards rather than proper pianos. It also always seems to get played on nights out or parties at that point where I've just peaked for the night and am starting to feel like it may be time for a lie down.

I think too much about this kind of thing I know.
  • derndern Frets: 357
    The Timewarp
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    I would have gone with Jungle Love by The Time for the reference for Uptown Funk but yeah, its an obvious pastiche of all that shit. I kinda like it though just cause I love that sound.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4310
    Moss said:
    CHRISB50 said:
    The Avalanches new album 
    Really? With the exception of Frankie Sinatra, I think it's a complete masterpiece
    I gave it another listen. This time on decent headphones. It's better than I thought, but still not as good as their debut.

And you're right, that Frankie Sinatra tune is shocking.

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• Don't Stop Me Now has always got on my wick though, I really don't like hyper active music which this definitely is, I always feel like it's a piano bashing "in your face" assault on my normally fairly non-plussed demeanor, that tries so hard to be happy happy music it actually sends me the other way into hating it and it making me cringe and scowl. I really hate the piano rhythm playing, as a piano player predominantly myself I really hate that kind of rhythmic chord bashing that is usually exhibited by school kids who learn on keyboards rather than proper pianos. It also always seems to get played on nights out or parties at that point where I've just peaked for the night and am starting to feel like it may be time for a lie down.

If it makes you feel better, Brian May hates the song too. 

According to that BBC documentary a few years back, it was Freddie's response to all the killjoys in and around Queen who kept telling him that he ought to take it easy on the gay clubbing scene, where he was partying pretty hard. This being in the days before AIDS became widely understood and publicised, nobody was being very careful either, so the band are pretty sure this is where Freddie contracted HIV, which subsequently killed him.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1568
    Ugly Kid Joe - I hate everything...
    Take my breath away from Top Gun

just 2 which spring to mind
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited September 2016

If it makes you feel better, Brian May hates the song too. 

According to that BBC documentary a few years back, it was Freddie's response to all the killjoys in and around Queen who kept telling him that he ought to take it easy on the gay clubbing scene, where he was partying pretty hard. This being in the days before AIDS became widely understood and publicised, nobody was being very careful either, so the band are pretty sure this is where Freddie contracted HIV, which subsequently killed him.
    Very sad.

i found out yesterday that my Grandad has 'Hearing Aids'. Obviously im beside myself.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  •  
    Don't Stop Me Now has always got on my wick though, I really don't like hyper active music which this definitely is, I always feel like it's a piano bashing "in your face" assault on my normally fairly non-plussed demeanor, that tries so hard to be happy happy music it actually sends me the other way into hating it and it making me cringe and scowl. I really hate the piano rhythm playing, as a piano player predominantly myself I really hate that kind of rhythmic chord bashing that is usually exhibited by school kids who learn on keyboards rather than proper pianos. It also always seems to get played on nights out or parties at that point where I've just peaked for the night and am starting to feel like it may be time for a lie down.

A big fat +1 on this.

An awful song beloved of people desperate to show you just HOW MUCH FUN THEY'RE HAVING. Kindly fuck off; I've got more imagination than needing a song which is literally about having a good time to enjoy myself. Its awful.

Grump.

• But on the other hand I like Uptown Funk. Its fun.