Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Songs that make you cringe

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• Chop Suey - System Of A Down.
    GREAT tune!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • cj73cj73 Frets: 1003
    Limp Biskit's take on The Who's Behind Blue Eyes. Fucking dreadful. They miss the point of the original song completely. The aggression & emotional charge of the Who's original is completely ignored and left without any of the redeeming features which made their version good. It's almost as if Fred Durst only knew the first verse and tried to remember how it went throughout the entire song.

Amen bro
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    Pretty much any show-tune ..........I absolutely hate musical theatre ..especially Lloyd - Weber songs and I really hate the way they sing the lyrics to fit around the dreadful tuneless tunes ........although I do think most of the Cole Porter musicals were in a different league 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72332
    Limp Biskit's take on The Who's Behind Blue Eyes. Fucking dreadful. They miss the point of the original song completely.
    This is generally a feature of excruciatingly bad covers - the Scissor Sisters' Comfortably Numb and Amy Winehouse's Valerie are perfect examples too - none of them seem to have any feeling for the song or even a clue what it's about. I don't mind if the song (even one I love) is changed, but it needs to be at least understood or it's just offensive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12364
    ICBM said:
    Limp Biskit's take on The Who's Behind Blue Eyes. Fucking dreadful. They miss the point of the original song completely.
    This is generally a feature of excruciatingly bad covers - the Scissor Sisters' Comfortably Numb and Amy Winehouse's Valerie are perfect examples too - none of them seem to have any feeling for the song or even a clue what it's about. I don't mind if the song (even one I love) is changed, but it needs to be at least understood or it's just offensive.
    I agreed with you till you mentioned Valerie. The Amy Winehouse version is waaaaay better than the limp turgid dross that is the original.  
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72332
    edited September 2016
    boogieman said:

I agreed with you till you mentioned Valerie. The Amy Winehouse version is waaaaay better than the limp turgid dross that is the original.  
    Wrong! It's a man's song sung to a woman, and she sings it in such a flat way that she doesn't even appear to understand what it's about. Dire.

The original isn't my favourite song but it at least makes sense - her version is up there with the worst covers ever. Being produced by Mark Ronson might be part of the problem too, you can almost feel the smugness in it.

To be fair, it's not helped by every crap covers band in the world playing "Valerie by Amy Winehouse" but it would easily make the cringe list without that.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:
    boogieman said:

Wrong! It's a man's song sung to a woman, and she sings it in such a flat way that she doesn't even appear to understand what it's about. Dire.

The original isn't my favourite song but it at least makes sense - her version is up there with the worst covers ever. Being produced by Mark Ronson might be part of the problem too, you can almost feel the smugness in it.
    Ok, the lyrics don't work (although it could be a lesbian singing  ;). ) but otherwise we'll have to agree to disagree. Give me the Amy version every time. 

• Do they know it's Christmas
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Wonderful Tonight by Eric Clapton.

I'm amazed he even saw fit to release it. It's galactically fucking shit. Mawkish, plodding and full of boring guitar and wheezy grandpa vocals singing incredibly crap lyrics.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    @ICBM Totally agreed on Valerie. The Zutons' original shits all over Amy Winehouse's version but the latter is the one I always have to play at function gigs. It's a flat, throwaway fake-jazz circle jerk.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • Anything by Andrew Lloyd Webber. My wife thinks I hate all musicals, but it's basically just his. I am really fond of most musicals by Ro-Jaws and Hammerstein
    Bucket said:
    @ICBM Totally agreed on Valerie. The Zutons' original shits all over Amy Winehouse's version but the latter is the one I always have to play at function gigs. It's a flat, throwaway fake-jazz circle jerk
    At least you can dance to it though eh?  ;) Try doing that to the Zutons original. 

You're right about Wonderful Tonight though. Bleurgh, rancid song. 
  • boogieman said:
    Bucket said:
    @ICBM Totally agreed on Valerie. The Zutons' original shits all over Amy Winehouse's version but the latter is the one I always have to play at function gigs. It's a flat, throwaway fake-jazz circle jerk
    At least you can dance to it though eh?  ;) Try doing that to the Zutons original. 

I love both versions, though Amy generally was just something else, one of my favourite singing voices of all time.

And wisdom'd for Wonderful Tonight. I don't really like much of anything Clapton did post-Cream to be honest.

• boogieman said:
    Bucket said:

I love both versions, though Amy generally was just something else, one of my favourite singing voices of all time.

And wisdom'd for Wonderful Tonight. I don't really like much of anything Clapton did post-Cream to be honest.

I think that's a bit harsh, I LOVE the Derek & The Dominos album- although Duane Allman has a large part in elevating this. 

Wonderful Tonight is horrible though.

How You Remind Me by Nickleback is pretty bad too. It was played on the radio about 4 times per hour the summer I did my internship. I got HEARTILY sick of Chads yarly voice.

• Crush With Eyeliner was a song in the charts at the time I was giving guitar lessons. I thought it to some of my students. I can't bare to hear it any more
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @stimpsonslostson ;

Yes, HYRM was overplayed to fuck at the time. I still hate it now...