Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you use your guitars for?

What's Hot
kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
Yes, I know, bleeding obvious question. But, what I'm driving at is most of us on here have more than one guitar, so to what different purposes do you put them? Mine as follows:

PRS '89 CE24 - 'Main' guitar. Primary guitar for Foo Fighters charidee tribute band. Backup guitar for other covers band (below).

Epiphone Riviera - Primary guitar for originals band (quite polite and acoustic in character - the band not the guitar). Backup guitar for the Foo Fighters trib band on account of having humbuckers.

Musicman Sterling Cutlass Strat - Primary guitar for other covers band (reasonably heavy/rocky stuff, but covering quite a lot of ground inc. Biffy, Nirvana, Pixies). Backup guitar for originals band.

Vintage Resonator - songwriting guitar and used for a couple of songs in the originals band

Martin HJ28 - Noodling and songwriting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• seany65seany65 Frets: 264
    I use my rally neosound to get a bit miffed at the almost complete lack of progress at learning to play guitar...
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    edited September 2016
    seany65 said:
    I use my rally neosound to get a bit miffed at the almost complete lack of progress at learning to play guitar...
    Oh, I use all mine for that! Similarly, I've used all manner and makes of microphones to remind myself that I can't really sing...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Tokai PR100 - main guitar for my metal band and my alt-rock band.

MJT Strat - main guitar for my funk band and also for... general Strat stuff. Also gets the most mileage for covers gigs.

Raygun LP Junior - classic rock stuff and dirty noisy stuff.

Jazzmaster - also for dirty noisy stuff, probably gonna be using it as my main guitar with the singer-songwriter I'm now working with.

Ibanez RG550XH - anything that requires a Floyd, lots of gain and a silly amount of frets.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • GarthyGarthy Frets: 2268
    I have lots of guitars for the exact same reason I have loads of shoes, I just like to have different things on different days. To just have one guitar reminds me of the children's book when the kid wants everything to taste of tomato ketchup.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JadedJaded Frets: 127
    Fender Jaguar - recently stuck a Dimarzio 36th anniversary in the neck and an Oil City Brassknuckle in the bridge to primarily use it for post-rock(-ish) ambient things.

Fender Roadworn Jazzmaster - used for anything and everything, sort of my main electric I suppose!

Gretsch Duo Jet - mostly used when fingerpicking or playing something rootsy/rockabilly. 

Gretsch New Yorker - a little redundant at the moment as it was bought for playing/learning jazz, mostly it's been used for songwriting and general strumming the last two years, until my recent purchase...

Martin 0-15m - just waiting on getting a Fishman Rare Earth Blend installed and then it should be my main guitar for a few projects hopefully going on at uni this year. As of now, it's my Frusciante box. 
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    It depends on the project. My Tele was my main guitar for years & I used my Les Paul to thicken it with recording wise.

But now I'm using a PRS & a Strat in the new band. My old Ibby RG760 gets used as a rehearsal studio backup, so yeah. Only 2 out of 5 are just played as home guitars.
  • Jazzmaster with Aluminium neck - single humbucker - my main guitar. Tuned to B standard and used for Drone/Noise/Doom stuff

Monson Nomad - two humbuckers - Tuned to C Standard and used for the same stuff, but also covers the stoner style groovy riffs. But different tuning makes it sound less evil

Gibson LP - Tuned to B Standard used mainly for sludgy stoner style

I'm not good enough or have the time or passion to play different styles of music and play in one band only (soon to be a solo project), so the guitars are all interchangeable...just depends if i want a real tight and spanky attack (Jazzmaster) or spongy thick sound (Gibson)...the Monson is the most versatile of the 3.

• Doorstop mainly

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31102
    edited September 2016
    Strats: for most things
    Teles: ditto
    Thinline: for a cover all for everything
    Les Pauls: eye candy
    CS356: object d'arte
    Gretsch: because everyone should have one.
    Gold Top: Another Brick In the Wall and Neil Young (!)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dogloaddogload Frets: 1495
    Mainly to impress groupies, or more recently to provide an interlude for 'rockumentary' (if you will) makers to pad out their somewhat one-sided 'expose' of our band's struggling North American tour. Oh, hang on a sec...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73003
    Heavily-modified Chinese Gretsch Pro Jet - for leaving in the workshop and testing things I'm repairing.

Ozark resonator - for hanging on the wall in the living room, looking pretty and playing when I want an acoustic guitar.

Danelectro Convertible - for leaving at the singer's house so I can work out songs when I'm over there.

Rickenbacker 381 - for leaving in the cupboard, getting out occasionally and saying "this is nice", then putting back again.

Gibson Dove - for leaving in the cupboard, getting out occasionally and saying "this is nice", then putting back again.

Gibson CJ-165 - for leaving in the cupboard, getting out occasionally and saying "this is nice", then putting back again.

Martin D12-35 - for leaving in the cupboard, getting out occasionally and saying "this is nice", then putting back again.

Aria RS Standard - for leaving in the cupboard, getting out occasionally and saying "this is OK but probably needs better pickups", then putting back again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PRS Custom 22 '02 
    used for original proggy band. 
    PRS CE24 '98 used as back up for above. 
    Both are interchangeable as have same neck type and switching options, just slightly different vibes......
    one bolt on, one set neck. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    It doesn't matter which guitar I use, I always sound exactly the same.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9812
    Strat for rocking
    Tele for rocking a bit harder
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • AndyRAndyR Frets: 158
    Impressing the father-in-law when he comes round.

After he's done the garden stuff with his daughter, and before we sit down to dinner, he goes "bought any new guitars, Andrew?"

"Well, actually, there's this one, and that one, and, er... crumbs you haven't been here for a few weeks have you?"

At least, I think he's impressed, anyway.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • A less embarrasing penis extention. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Tele for when I'm not inspired by the 335.

335 for when I'm not inspired by the tele.

Random foe gigging and each one being a backup of the other. 
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12709
    Q: What do you use your guitars for?

A: Playing music.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat - pretty much everything.

335 - 'serious' blues playing

Spare Strat - slide/midi controller

D28 - main acoustic

GS Mini - 'sofa' guitar

Busker Delta - slide/blues

Taylor Nylon String - not much - just the odd bit of recording
  • Les Paul - well you've got to have a Les Paul
    Squier strat - well you've got to have a strat.
    Vintage Tele - well you've GOT to have a telecaster
    Charvel- You NEED at least one guitar with a Floyd.
    Shergold - something "alternative"
    Westone - None more Black.
    Yamaha Electro acoustic - Jon Gomm time (yeah, in your dreams)
    Woolworths Audition - slide
    Hondo strat - annoy the wife
    Squier 51 - clutter 
    Charvel'ish partscaster - failed Luthier
    Classical - to stare at me accusingly that I REALLY should learn to play properly with real music notation and shit. (Gets put away in cupboard, stop staring at me godammit!)

Yep, that's about it.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom