Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you use your guitars for?

What's Hot

Comments

• CatthanCatthan Frets: 371
    Tyler Strat: Functions & sessions
    59 LP replica: same
    "Huff" parts-strat: Backup & public gigs and some sessions.
    Epi LPC 90 (MIJ): All the above
    Ibby 335-alike: Jazz
    MIK thinline tele: Decoration (wall hanger) & Nashville-y sessions

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmann said:
    Skarloey said:
    I sincerrely hope that this is accompanied by much chin stroking beforehand, lots of guitar face during, and composed relfection on a good job of guitar work well done afterwards. 
    Oh go on - make a joke out it!

In order to become so adept at blues guitar work, I've lived a life of repression, poverty and emotional insecurity - in the hope that others will be moved by my chosen means of expression.

This was no easy life-choice, I can assure you....
    How is the cotton harvest of Manchester this year? ;-)

Pretty good I'm told (it's all that rain you know).

They're using the finest of the cotton to spin the yarn for Eric Clapton's latest Armani suit so he can wear it to play dem blues, boy.  
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • moz91moz91 Frets: 38
    Les Paul - 'main guitar'

Patrick Eggle Berlin Pro - 2nd guitar for rock stuff. Trem gives me options for widdly stuff, and also does a good single coil.

80's Jap strat - Stratty stuff. Everyone needs a strat.

Tele - Stones trib. Occasionally wheel it out for other gigs when i feel like it.

Old mex strat - fitted out with single coil sized humbuckers and strung with 11's. Wheel it out every now and then for rock stuff, just for shits & giggles and nostalgic reasons more than anything else!

Eggle New York Broadway - occasionally used for Get Stoned. Should really use this more. Great guitar...

(Hopefully NGD) Berlin Plus Hardtail - this will most likely rotate with Les Paul as number 1 go to guitar

Jackson dinky - lives under the bed. Has no pickups. Will one day get kitted out with a proper floyd and some emgs purely for reasons of stupidity!

Larrivee OM10 - Main acoustic

Ibanez Satriani Sig acoustic - demoted to number 2 on arrival of Larrivee. Great guitar! On the rare occasion an acoustic is needed as part of a full band I'll use this, quite a big sound and can cover some ground that the OM cant.

Couple of other cheap acoustics and nylons kicking around at home too. Oh and i want a bass.
    I think i've got a problem... :lol: 

• All three electrics are getting used in the Police tribute band. If we're playing a short set I'll probably only use one and have a backup but if we're doing a long set I'll make sure I swap between the strat or tele for variety and I've been using the Les Paul Studio for the Sting stuff as Dom Miller uses a LP more than single coils (new album is the exception). 

For the new covers band I'm favouring the LP Studio but again, I'll take either the strat or tele for a different flavour.

My Martin sits in the living room for occasional noodling and my Bass languishes in it's case at the moment.

Can't wait till @HarrySeven chimes in!
    "As with all things, some days you're the dinosaur, some days you're the monkey." Sporky
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• Can't wait till @HarrySeven chimes in!

I think he started typing yesterday, still going 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Epi LP Custom - main guitar for jam nights etc

2016 Gibson LP Standard T - occasional player, take it to rehearsals etc. Nice to pull out of the case and just admire.

Squire Bullet Strat - modded to an EVH style by myself; hard tail, single HB and volume. Thrashing about in the house and occasional jam night beater.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2646
    edited September 2016

Reverend Manta Ray - nominally main guitar, lives mostly in open tunings and used in nominally slow-core'ish mode

Toronado build - nominally second guitar, lives mostly in tuning somewhere near standard and nominally used in a very noisy alternative rock sort of way

Jazzmaster build - nominally third guitar, living mostly in more off-beat tunings and used as per Toronado but perhaps think more Swervedriver than Mogwai

Reverend Club King - currently gathering dust but strung to undertake baritone like duties if the mood takes me

Yamaha acoustic - demo mode of all of the above

Strat build - currently gathering dust in my son's room

Tokai Jazz bass - gathering dust awaiting the moment I need a bass line

• DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    axisus said:
    They are all to annoy the wife. Some with cacophony and some just by being there.

Awesome! Can you teach me all those sweeps, man?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Cacophony_-_1988_-_Go_Off!.jpg

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73037
    Of course if we're including basses as well then it gets simpler.

Rickenbacker 4001 - for using with the band.

Fender Pawnshop Mustang Bass - to disappear into my daughter's bedroom never to be seen again.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    If you can't play everything on a Strat, you're doing something wrong.

• Can't wait till @HarrySeven chimes in!

I think he started typing yesterday, still going 

Lol! :)

Errr...mine are primarily used for occupying the entire volume of several large rooms.

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Anything without a trem is there to look at in a panic and wonder what to do with during any kind of solo

Anything with a trem is for hurriedly retuning after every solo

Acoustics and Basses are for gigs where I actually make some money.

:)
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2641
    edited September 2016
    All my guitars currently are Gibson HH or Suhr HSS.  That means they are pretty interchangeable for rootsy rock stuff where I almost exclusively use the bridge humbucker, but I tend to take a Suhr to gigs/rehearsals so I have a trem, even though I use it very sparingly.

I'd use a Strat single coils for funk rhythm and occasionally creamy leads.  Also occasionally to dabble in some Knopfleresque out of phase stuff.

For jazzy stuff I use neck p/ups mainly, sometimes a bucker but I'm actually surprisingly happy with a  Strat single coil for jazz.  Also recently found myself moving away from traditional jazz tones to something a little less bassy creamier, with a touch of distortion.

The Suhrs pretty much cover everything I need soundwise but the Gibsons are just a little easier to play because of the scale length.  Hence I'm on the look out for an equivalent to my Suhrs but shorter scale, or an equivalent to my Gibsons with a trem.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 662
    64 Jaguar and 72 Mustang, I use one or other daily to wind down after work and sometimes before. Use them at the studio at least once a week, gig record etc one of them is always out of the case laying around the house as my daughter has started to take an interest only 5 but likes to tinker. Plus my wife seems to like them.... Perhaps more the amp as its tweed and matches the sofa..... Also have a vista series musicmaster bass for recording at home and bass is fun.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4067
    Ibanez RG 1570  -- favourite for practise; probably used for 75% of gigs
    Epiphone Sheraton II -- 2nd favourite for gigging.  Sounds so cool with the Stormy Mondays. 
    Taylor GS mini -- armchair / sit on the back step guitar

Fender Jazzmaster -- loved it for gigging but relegated since it started causing a few hand aches

• I only have two electrics
    my PRS McCarty I use for Low to mid gain stuff
    and my Custom 22 I use for clean and heavy stuff it. It splits better than the McCarty and does the high gain stuff better too but the McCarty just sounds sweeter for mid gain stuff. 

Oh oh an I really want to try one of the new Musicman cutlass if that's the Strat like one?
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    edited September 2016 tFB Trader
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432

Gibson 335 for blues and faux jazz. Also for Travis/Atkins stuff at home (can't afford a Gretsch).

Warmouth H/H Tele for rock and recording sessions.

Schecter Esquire for alt country, rockabilly and dubious Albert Collins impersonations.

Atkin OM for all solo gigs.

McKenna square-neck resonator because the missus thinks it sounds lovely.

Fender Deluxe 8 steel guitar also for occasional alt country/ rockabilly duties.

Weissenborn copy for occasional fairly pathetic attempts at country blues.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27963
    Each new guitar that I buy is going to be my route to much-delayed fame & fortune.

In reality, each new guitar is just another distraction which further delays any sort of guitar-playing competence.

The Kawais satisfy my desire to "collect" something.
    The self-builds demonstrate my slowly declining incompetence at building guitars.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.