Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What do you use your guitars for?

What's Hot

Comments

• kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    TTony said:
    Each new guitar that I buy is going to be my route to much-delayed fame & fortune.

In reality, each new guitar is just another distraction which further delays any sort of guitar-playing competence.

The Kawais satisfy my desire to "collect" something.
    The self-builds demonstrate my slowly declining incompetence at building guitars.

I think it is important to sometimes defy expectation and get slowly worse at something. I try to bring this philosophy to my daily work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3602
    Aria PE1000 - this goes to auditions and scratch rehearsals because it's an effortless player and is very versatile if lacking a little characture.

Fender Lite ashe tele - Sits in the case mostly and comes out rarely.

Epiphone electro acoustic - Covers all acoustic duties at home and live. also good for building up finger strength and left hand speed.

Fender AVRI52 tele - The twng in the country band and also those funk covers where it featured in the original version.

Fender hard tail strat - The does everything guitar that went everywhere for decades and was probably my main guitar, until...

Gibson ES335 - I find I pick this up at home more than the others, I also seem to use it live a lot more so after 9 years it's now my main squeeze.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • To fill a void in my life.

I do need to address the issue and get back to one or two guitars.

Sg- just kind of hung onto this one. Feels like home.
    Dgt-  stops me buying a les paul.
    Tokai - stopped me buying a 335 and sounds great for funk and soul stuff.
    Partsacaster- everyone should have a strat.
    Fender strat - fell in love with the colour and wanted a strat.
    Yamaha rgx- bought as a cheap guitar to learn how to do set ups...need to start on that.
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28354
    DLM said:
    axisus said:
    They are all to annoy the wife. Some with cacophony and some just by being there.

Awesome! Can you teach me all those sweeps, man?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/09/Cacophony_-_1988_-_Go_Off!.jpg

I have that album. On vinyl. Just sayin .....
  • 2 main strats for electric gigs. 
    2 more strats for spares/jamming etc. 
    2 Gretsch G400JV arch tops for acoustic plugged gigs. 
    1 Martin Dreadnought Junior for sofa etc. 
    Various bits and pieces for cluttering up the house. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23536
    edited September 2016

Given the number of guitar cases lined up along every available bit of wall space in my flat, I'd say I use them primarily as insulation.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2273

In order of being used...

1 1952 ES125-I accidently ended up helping a local church with one of their services, it's mainly me and an acoustic guitarist singer. I play this so I can use an amp and control my monitoring. Mainly finger picking with some slide in standard. Think 1920s Gospel Blues (Blind Willie) for style. Bought in 2006

2 2004 Gibson LP Classic with Lollars-I'm doing a covers band start up and this is the main guitar. Base sound is clean which is lovely and pedals to cover various songs. Bought in 2004

3 2007 Rickenbacker 330-barely use it bought in 2007

4 2008 Rickenbacker 360-barely use it bought 2008

5 2014 NS Design NXT Electric Double bass-not played it this year bought 2014

6 1994 Musicman Stingray 2 band-not played it this year bought 2012

7 1983 Ovation Custom Balladeer-not been played much since 1993. Inherited 1987

8 ? Ashbory bass-I think I played it at Easter. Bought 2007

Obviously I hoard stuff and am loathe to sell in case I need it. Case in point I barely played the ES125 for nearly 10 years now it's a main guitar. I used the Rics a bit up to 2013 when I changed bands. I used the basses in a covers band from 2007 but it's folded and I don't need 3 basses. I had an SG that I used a lot but sold it when I got the Lollars in the LP.

I want a Strat but do I need it? What do I sell?

• Esquire with B Bender does bulk of all my work, country, blues, rock,whatever. 
    KSR P90 guitar, all slide stuff and stones type things. Tuned to open G with 5 strings. 
    Got a strat copy for just neck pickup work, very rarely use it much. 
  • GSG Gypsy practising scales, strumming along to mp3.

Gibson SG sitting in case

Peavey Rockingham sitting in case

Squier Jazz learning and playing

• i have several different guitars and use them all for really tough & mighty sounding riffs
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3342
    to annoy my wife!

I have 2 Superstrats and they cover everything electric I do, which is mainly function & houseband stuff (funk, pop, rock).

Taylor acoustic - err acoustic duo stuff with Mrs.K

Sire Marcus Miller bass - For the Madness Tribute band
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2944
    Sassafras said:
    If you can't play everything on a Strat, you're doing something wrong.

Yep. So long as it has humbuckers that is :)
  • TTBZ said:
    Sassafras said:
    If you can't play everything on a Strat, you're doing something wrong.

Yep. So long as it has humbuckers that is :)
    Strats don't have humbuckers....
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2944
    The only ones I have any interest in playing do :D
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 321
    edited October 2016
    2007 Gibson Les Paul standard - my main guitar as I love the way it looks and sounds. Has been upgraded with some mojo humbuckers. All the players I tend to gravitate towards use Les Paul's so that is what I'm looking for in a guitar sound

42nd street guitars custom built esquire. My other main guitar and I take this to all gigs with the Les Paul. Has a 13k bare knuckle single coil so has enough poke to sit with the Les Paul live without having to adjust my amp but is just a gorgeous resonant guitar. Rings really loudly accoustically which really translates to its plugged in tone.

1990 Les Paul standard - not actually mine but I'm looking after it for a friend who is overseas for a few years. Starting to age beautifully and I use it for rehersal. Never gigged it although I keep thinking about it but I'm so familiar with my 2007 les Paul I can't tear myself away from it at a gig

PRS SE Tremonti - had this pretty much as soon as the model was released and it was my 21st bday present. Was my main gigging guitar until I got the 2007 les Paul standard so is mainly used at home now. Will be my rehersal guitar when I have to give the 1990 les Paul back to my friend. Will never sell due to the sentimental attachment as my folks weren't very well off at the time of my 21st and bust a gut to afford it and I'm really grateful for that, especially as I'm a parent now.

Cheap Aria steel strung accoustic - lives in the lounge as my pick up in front of the telly guitar. Plays well and sounds pretty good but I'm not too precious about it and have been happy for my boy to bang around on it when he was a baby. Seems to have worked as he is showing quite an interest in guitars now he is a few years older

Incomming 42nd Street les Paul junior SC custom build - should be ready by the end of November and is a bit of an indulgence as I don't 'need' it but I have always wanted an SC junior. Angela at 42nd street guitars makes exceptional instruments and when she said she was making a run of junior style guitars I couldn't refuse!
  • cbilly22cbilly22 Frets: 361
    Main playing/gigging/rehearsal guitar is my purple Pacifica 611 that I've just put a Seymour Duncan Screamin Demon in. I'll use that all night unless I break a string and I have to reach for.....
    ....my back up/go anywhere guitar which is a much modded black Pacifica 510v that has a couple of Irongear pups in, a rails thingy at the neck and Tesla Shark at the bridge..its also covered in stickers and plays and sounds ridiculously good. Poor thing spends most of its life in a car, rarely goes out of tune and never needs the truss rod tweaking..I'm starting to think it's one of the best guitars I've owned.
    Other than that I have Japanese Tokai LP that stays at Eb and at home, because it is the best I've had.
    Oh and an Eastwood Sidejack which was for some garage rock stuff but is now for sale so I'll be back to 3 again :)

• Jaden Rose Driftwood Tele - rock
    Jaden Rose Lightweight Tele - rock
    Washburn N4 - rock
    Tokai Strat - slightly less gain-y rock

It's entirely possible I'm a little too one-dimensional. I prefer to think of myself as "focused".
    <space for hire>
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I use mine to play soothing strains so the great horror of the deep Cthulhu remains lulled into slumber for all of time.

and pinch harmonics.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prh777prh777 Frets: 143
    edited October 2016
    Here goes.....

Mayones Regius 6 - C standard/drop A sharp with the metal band.  This, PRS and Feline are the highest quality instruments I've ever played.
    Aria Pro II 1989 something - remembering being 15
    Ibanez Rg550 - remembering not being able to afford one at 15
    Martin DR Series - Geting my AIC and alt-country on
    97 PRS custom 24 - was my main squeeze for metal band now for any and all rock, practice
    USA Tele Deluxe/Ibanez SR505 Ash - Funk/Power pop jam band
    Feline Purple Panther - Literally picking it up in front of everything else for practice!  Going to be headed to a jam soon
    Ibanez RG7321 - being rubbish at learning Monuments and Periphery tracks...

Like Slaine - I didn't think it too many....

• LewyLewy Frets: 4356
    All acoustics....

Collings D1A - Bluegrass/Flatpicking cannon. Set up for true acoustic grunt in non-plugged in situations

Collings OM2H - Gigs with nice listening audiences, no pickup so mic'd up only settings. Also main noodling/writing/transcribing guitar at home 'cos it's comfortable to sit at a desk with it on my lap

Gibson J45 True Vintage - Swiss Army Guitar. Can do anything well, so if I'm only taking one guitar to a gig and I'm likely to need to plug in, I take this. If I'm taking more than one guitar to a gig, this comes as a bottleneck/open tunings guitar.

Gretsch "Wild West Sweethearts" - playing to the kids at bath time

There are others (including a couple of electrics) but they're just knocking about and don't really ever get used.