Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying gear back.

What's Hot
We often discuss guitars we've sold & maybe shouldn't have: gear we miss etc. 

Who's actually gone the whole hog & bought back something they once sold? 

I sold my Bad Monkey pedal 18months ago to "upgrade" to something "better" (more expensive), but quickly realised my mistake & bought another. 

As I've mentioned several times in other threads I used to have a Raygun Relics SG Jr clone that I miss... While resetting my old phone I found the contact details of the guy who I sold it to. I'm sorely tempted to get in touch with a view to buying it back. 

What would you buy back if you could?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33981
    I bought this back.

I sold it to a forumite a few years ago and always regretted it.
    He sold it on to someone else so I had no idea where it was.

Saw it on eBay about 2 years ago and negotiated with the new owner to buy it back for pretty much the same money as I sold it.
    It was a special guitar for me as it was the first one I put together (Warmoth build), did all the fretwork and electronics.
    I play it from time to time but I'm never selling it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StevepageStevepage Frets: 3098
    No luck with 3 guitars I sold. An RG1550fm-rbt, 1990 Prs Standard 24 and an Ibanez/Feline Universe.
  • Treewig1Treewig1 Frets: 445
    I bought my first Fender Stratocaster in 1979.  Stupidly sold in 2002. Tracked it down and bought it back last year (it had gone from Wiltshire to Worcester to Lincoln).  I really looked after it down to carefully preserving the original hang tags, ashtray etc and they were all still there in the plastic bag I kept them in. It was like I'd just left it under my bed during the intervening 13 years! So lucky. And the person who sold it took me took a really, really reasonable price. It's going nowhere now.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I had a Shaftsbury Les Paul Custom for Christmas when I was around 11 years old. It was in perfect nick with a really nice Gibson style Les Paul case.  I sold it when I was 18 for £40 to buy a real piece of crap Strat copy. Always regretted it because it was a poorly judged 'upgrade'. I saw the guy 32 years later (around 3 years ago) in the street and he offered to give it back to me for free. It was very tired looking and a bit beaten up but I polished it up and now it's back with me where it belongs. Not a great guitar but it's my original one.....
    0reaction image LOL 10reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    edited October 2016
    If I ever see my old blue ibanez jem, I'll buy it instantly.  
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • grungebobgrungebob Frets: 3379
    Yep I sold a PRS CE 22 in solid black and bought it back again two years later, was a cracking guitar. sold it again since though when bills stacked up but I'd buy it back if I could. 
  • I had a Shaftsbury Les Paul Custom for Christmas when I was around 11 years old. It was in perfect nick with a really nice Gibson style Les Paul case.  I sold it when I was 18 for £40 to buy a real piece of crap Strat copy. Always regretted it because it was a poorly judged 'upgrade'. I saw the guy 32 years later (around 3 years ago) in the street and he offered to give it back to me for free. It was very tired looking and a bit beaten up but I polished it up and now it's back with me where it belongs. Not a great guitar but it's my original one.....
    That's awesome! We need pictures! 

So I tried the phone number I had... No luck the number is dead.   :'(
    Time to search my old emails to see if I have his full name/email address, I fear the deal was done  via gumtree so I doubt this is going to end well. 
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2178
    I've had three 18v Q Trons, two mt2's, two electro harmonix hot tube fuzz pedals, three big muffs, two boss cs3's, two Ibanez ts9s.
    Specifically a wampler ecstasy drive pedal which I sold on eBay and managed to buy back a year later for twenty quid less. 
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3421
    Yup sold a deluxe players strat body when I lived in Belfast to a fellow forumite from Ely.  then saw it for sale a few months ago on gumtree and had to have it back.  Thankfully as I now live in England I only had to drive 30 miles to go get it.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    Sold a Top Hat Club Deluxe combo and bought it back 5 years later only to sell again with proviso that I get first dibs.

Sold a CS Esquire for £1400 only to buy it back 8 months later for £1100! 
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • flymanflyman Frets: 4
    A tale from the other side...
    A few years agoI won a jap '68 reissue strat on the 'bay for a good price and all was good.
    However, never really got on with it,thought about selling, chopping in but as usual, too bone idle to do anything,
      Had an e-mail out of the blue from the previous owner wanting to buy it back. I agreed but before I could do anything his wife contacted me 'cos   she wanted to   buy it as a christmass pressie  .
      Deal was done and everyone happy, especially as she insisted on paying a little more than I did cos "these things always go up in value".
      Shows how long ago that was...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KylefKylef Frets: 1088
    Yes, got this back last week.

Matsumoku Riviera. Traded it for a '63 ri 335 plus some cash. Regretted it after a fortnight, sold the 335 (great guitar) and after initially saying no to selling it back to me, the buyer (thankfully) changed their mind. It won't be going anywhere now.

http://i346.photobucket.com/albums/p437/Kylefarrell/Epiphone Riviera Matsumoku/C7816664-7CC9-4DB4-9C3A-3F0A6964CE2F_zpsni5z2rqq.jpg
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31150
    Undoubtedly at some point in the future I predict merciless pisstaking as I sell everything to buy some more Cornish....but I'm not there yet.

A few....My custom shop tele I sold to @aaron76 is one that springs to mind but Aaron is a mate and uses it regularly so no issue there. My Lowden LSE1 too. Incredible, even by Lowden standards. My 1997 R8 with the crazy top that came up about a year ago on here or on eBay.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • skaguitarskaguitar Frets: 984
    I had a Les Paul Classic from around 2004 ish give or take a couple of years in honeyburst....upgrade it with a set of Joe Bonamassa Seymour Duncan pick ups...RS Guitarworks harness...grover aged tuners and had the snot green inlays replaced with a nice vintage set from Crox Guitars and changed the pickguard and truss rod cover too.... done all that then sold it ( tw*t ) ...immediately regretted it.
    I saw it on ebay earlier this year and was just getting the funds together to buy it back then it sold again and I missed it...I was in discussion with the seller.
    I would buy it back in a heartbeat if it appears again and I always keep an eye out for it on ebay.
    Maybe someone on here recognises the description and it's laying under their bed or in a cupboard somewhere not getting played..?
    I live in hope... :)
    • “To play a wrong note is insignificant; to play without passion is inexcusable.”
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    My OCD pedal that I sold to a fellow forumite. As it happens I asked to buy it back last week, luckily for me he said yes.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23642
    I bought back a PRS Standard 22 Satin, for the same price I'd sold it for, give or take a few quid in eBay fees.  And in the meantime the guy had had it set up and the frets dressed, so that felt like a good deal.  

I ended up selling it again though.  Between the two purchases and two sales I only lost about £60 in total, which is bloody good by my standards.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922

My approach is to sell things to a friend of mine and then borrow them back. ;)

Currently I have a Rickenbacker 330 and a Crafter mandolin that belong elsewhere, though as I've had the Ric for ages (a couple of years at least) and have tried to give it back a few times without success, I suspect that he's told his missus that he's sold it :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I sold my Shergold 12 string to a fellow forumite and instantly regretted it.
    Nearly a year later, like a true gent he sold it back to me for the same price.

:-)
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    I would buy back my US-made Reverend Commando GT and German-made Hofner Verithin with the fill-sized HBs. At the time, around 10 years ago, I had a young baby daughter, a massive overdraft, and very little ability on the guitar. It seemed crazy, and indeed almost certainly is, to be playing those 2 guitars through a Behringer V-Amp.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7834
    Gassage said:
    Undoubtedly at some point in the future I predict merciless pisstaking as I sell everything to buy some more Cornish....but I'm not there yet.

Haven'y you already done that at least once?

I'm lucky in that I've never needed to sell anything, so once sold, it really is because it didn't do it for me. No regrets so far.
    Saying that, I am having another go with a clusterflux, but really that's because I'm convinced I missed the point first time around.