Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Buying gear back.

What's Hot

Comments

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27753
    I regularly trawl ebay & reverb for my old SG Special. 2003 model, faded brown, ebony board and dot inlays. A fantastic guitar sound when I was a poor student. 

Please keep a look out, will you? :D
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6843
    tFB Trader
    And I sold all my Lazy J stuff only to buy it all back 18 months later...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
  • Recently bought back my original Zendrive that I collected from Alf Hermida when I was in Miami on holiday.

Sold it to a friend on the understanding that if he ever sold it, I'd get first dibs.

• TrotterTrotter Frets: 516
    Yep. A beautiful 95(I think) honeyburst Les Paul standard. Sold it, bought it back a couple of years later, then sold it again after maybe a year or so... will probably hunt it down in a couple of years and get it back again! 
  • I bought back a Japanese Epiphone Les Paul Special That I missed. Never liked the TVY colour so having it refinished in blue.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Never done it with a guitar or amp but I've sold and re-bought plenty of Boss OD-2 and MXR Dist+ pedals more often than I can remember.
    Having said that, if anyone's selling a Gordon-Smith GS 1, serial number 00014, I'll buy it back in a heartbeat.
  • danny_777danny_777 Frets: 662
    octatonic said:
    I bought this back.

I sold it to a forumite a few years ago and always regretted it.
    He sold it on to someone else so I had no idea where it was.

Saw it on eBay about 2 years ago and negotiated with the new owner to buy it back for pretty much the same money as I sold it.
    It was a special guitar for me as it was the first one I put together (Warmoth build), did all the fretwork and electronics.
    I play it from time to time but I'm never selling it.
    Haha, you bought that back from me - what are the chances!!

If I recall we met outside my office near Liverpool Street about two and a half years ago.
  • ben_wuhben_wuh Frets: 21
    edited October 2016
    Bill Frisell tells a good story here about selling and then recovering the ES-175 he's playing - starts at 7:50.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1679
    I sold my '72 black Les Paul Custom to a friend of a friend in 1996 as I was massively broke.

Apparently he wanted to learn guitar and wanted a nice one to learn on. He still has the guitar and doesn't play it. Apparently it still has the same strings on it and is in a dreadful state. 

Over the years I have tried and tried to buy it back, but he won't even name a price, and I have offered ££thousands.

It pisses me right off. He doesn't even play it !

Rob.
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4693
    The only guitar i have ever sold that i want back is this 

Vintage V100LM  and i fucking loved it and have never ever managed to find another one, had to sell it as ex wife lost her job and we were totally skint at the time. I have never even seen another come up for sale since. 
  • The only guitar i have ever sold that i want back is this 

Vintage V100LM  and i fucking loved it and have never ever managed to find another one, had to sell it as ex wife lost her job and we were totally skint at the time. I have never even seen another come up for sale since. 
    Those have something approaching cult status amongst Vintage fans. 
    There's an active Facebook group devoted to Vintage guitars, it'd be worth asking there if anyone has one they'd be willing to sell. Alternatively, I've seen them in Crack Converters on a few occasions. If I spot another I'll let you know. 
    @stimpsonslostson ;
    they really are superb. yeah if you ever see one please let me know.I am one of the few people left on the the planet that doesnt do facebook im afraid so wouldnt be able to check.
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 591
    A couple of years ago I had a Yamaha 12 string lying around that was my final guitar purchase prior to stopping playing altogether for several years. So it made sense to sell it on for the space/money. I pretty much regretted it instantly (held on to my other sentimental guitars) but didn't see the point in replacing it as I wasn't playing at all. Plus it went to a guy who could actually play well and I was happy to see it was going to be used and appreciated rather than sitting in a corner.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago where the same model came up on ebay and I bought it. It's nothing special, rare or expensive. But I just liked it and had to replace it with the same thing to get over the regret of selling it initially. I've started getting into playing again so it's great to have it in the collection.

• SNAKEBITESNAKEBITE Frets: 1075

Earlier in the year a change in personal circumstances, along with the fact I was brought out of retirement as a drummer meant I sold my MIM Strat.

Anyway, I'm no longer a drummer and I've got the Strat back!

(I really would like to track down the Highway 1 I sold a few years back!)

• tbmtbm Frets: 585
    I sold an SG Classic in ebony to but a Les Paul. I'm delighted with the Les Paul, but I'd have the SG back in a heartbeat if I could afford it.

Noise, randomness, ballistic uncertainty.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5110
    I very nearly bought back a PRS Standard 22, and should have done as it was a good one and the price was a couple of hundred quid less than what I sold it to the fella for. But I was 'between jobs' at the time and I don't think the missus would have appreciated GAS expenditure going out the door.
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    I sure did I boughhttps://imgur.com/dsMrPhIt a 60s guild f 20, which was the best acoustic a have  played,  I was an idiot and when i bought a vintage gibson acoustic I sold the guild,  and literally instantly regretted it,  3 years later and having gone through loads of acoustics,  I managed to track it by l down and bought it back. 

Funny thing is the seller said he has been expecting my email for years lol. 

It will never be sold again! 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23641
    I very nearly bought back a PRS Standard 22, and should have done as it was a good one and the price was a couple of hundred quid less than what I sold it to the fella for. But I was 'between jobs' at the time and I don't think the missus would have appreciated GAS expenditure going out the door.
    It wasn't the one I mentioned on the previous page was it?  Satin cherry finish, stoptail and birds?
  • HarrySevenHarrySeven Frets: 8040
    I've done it numerous times - and there are still a few of my old guitars which I'm chasing...

:)

HarrySeven - Intangible Asset Appraiser & Wrecker of Civilisation. Searching for weird guitars - so you don't have to.
    Forum feedback thread.    |     G&B interview #1 & #2   |  https://www.instagram.com/_harry_seven_/ 

have you ever sold guitars @HarrySeven ;
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom