Arsehole Gumtree Users

What's Hot

Comments

• steersteer Frets: 1220
    My Gumtree selling experience. Had a very big, very old, very heavy upright traditional piano that we wanted to get rid of. I needed the space so stupidly put an advert on Gumtree saying that it was free if someone can collect. That seemingly simple advert brought about the biggest crop of freeloaders and timewasters I have ever come across:-

1) Claims to be a doctor - can he come and collect it. Oh and by the way do you think it will fit in the back of his vauxhall corsa? FFS there is a photo of the huge thing int he advert.  
    b) Another two or three saying great , I'll take it. Please deliver to me at this address...
    iii) Is it in concert pitch? It's a hundred years old and free FFS. 
    d) Others saying they will come and look, but never turn up. 
    5) Finally got rid of it to a young guy who could not afford to buy one.  Despite me stressing to him how heavy the bloody thing was, I ended up having the manhandle it into the back of a transit van without any ramps. 

Still, its what online selling has become. Thankfully I have had a good experience the only time I have ever bought anything off there,. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One lesson I've learned is to never, ever, offer anything for "free" on gumtree.

Even a minimal fee of £5 cuts out a lot of the idiots. If its not worth £5 then its probably not worth your time getting rid anyway.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • steersteer Frets: 1220
    You are quite right. Lesson learned. Nominal fee would have cut out most these losers. 
  • I don't think gumtree has a larger proportion of idiots compared to anywhere else (here included) it's just that if the nutter rate is 1% a marketplace of 100000 will have more of them than a marketplace of 1000. 

I've had a few weird experiences, from a guy wanting to take the guitar away to try at band practice that night "If I like it I'll come back with the cash tomorrow". Err, NO.
    To a guy who turned up 3 hours late & woke my entire street turning my amp up full whilst trying a guitar. I'd given him headphones and asked that he use them "I'll be fine without- I just want to make sure the pots don't crackle, I won't turn it up past 1". 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    Query - is it arsehole or asshole?  This is important stuff you know! maybe  D
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4699
    Im Scottish, its Arsehole 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    My main complaint is that it is the repository of the eternally optimistic. Someone's currently trying to get £750 for a Baja Tele.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29187
    Voxman said:
    Query - is it arsehole or asshole?  This is important stuff you know! maybe  D
    Over here it's arsehole.

If you want to begin it with ass then I'd suggest you should go for "asshat".
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    My main complaint is that it is the repository of the eternally optimistic. Someone's currently trying to get £750 for a Baja Tele.
    I'll take it! And I'll definitely be round at the weekend :D
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • One lesson I've learned is to never, ever, offer anything for "free" on gumtree.

Even a minimal fee of £5 cuts out a lot of the idiots. If its not worth £5 then its probably not worth your time getting rid anyway.

Perhaps it depends on where you are. Here in Bristol, I've thrown out loads of freebies on Gumtree. Glass doors from a DVD cabinet, a couple of old televisions, some random electronics, a bit of furniture... people have always been on time and taken it away easily. Far easier doing that than lugging two bloody huge CRT televisions to the recycling centre. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monoaminemonoamine Frets: 506
    I love it when people try and haggle on the price if they have driven to you. Entirely pointless excercise as they likely have the asking price in cash in their pocket already, or they have wasted their own time by making the trip. The looks on their faces when I immediately tell them that I want the full asking price is classic. Once there was a genuine reason to give some money off though which I did.
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80

Perhaps it depends on where you are. Here in Bristol, I've thrown out loads of freebies on Gumtree. Glass doors from a DVD cabinet, a couple of old televisions, some random electronics, a bit of furniture... people have always been on time and taken it away easily. Far easier doing that than lugging two bloody huge CRT televisions to the recycling centre. 

Things like the TVs are easily worth a fiver. Anyway, you don't even need to take the money off them (I've done this in the past). But it seems to be a barrier that stops the timewasting crazies.
    All is not lost. 

instead of cancelling  my half day on Friday im off beer shopping for the final 7 beers in my 365 Beer challenge :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    All is not lost. 

instead of cancelling  my half day on Friday im off beer shopping for the final 7 beers in my 365 Beer challenge :-)
    Like. I hope some of that includes Tiny Rebel? It should you know.
    edited October 2016
    it has @fields5069  Tiny Rebel Fubar is a fine beer. As is the Tiny Rebel One Inch Punch 

i started on the 1st Novlast year so need to finish by next Monday to complete 365 different beers in a year, only rule is that it must be a min of half a pint. its been a slog at times towards the end trying to find different beers on a night out :-) 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We've had no problem with Gumtree freebies. We got rid of a single bed we didn't need within the space of a day. Mrs_bob listed it, had a text message the same day from someone who wanted it and could pick it up that evening.

The bed was collected bang on time by two eastern european men who were both easily taller than me (I'm 6'3") and built like a matching pair of brick shithouses. Sweet dreams, Igor.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Good man @mikeyrob73. It's not often there's something to shout about in Newport, so I am very enthusiastic about these guys. They're relocating the brewery soon, hoping to increase production five-fold I believe. It's been a massive success story for my fake city. :-)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bignormbignorm Frets: 196
    I've sold various things on gumtree and forums ... after a while you do get a feel for who's interested and who's just tire kicking.
    As a rule of thumb I'll only accept cash if they're picking up.  
    If I'm buying something expensive, I tend to do a bit of cyber digging first to see if there's a bit of history, most musos have a trail of stuff they've bought or sold (we all suffer from GAS and the me wants) if anyone looks dodgy I avoid them.
    When it comes to selling what generally annoys me is when someone wants to effectively part ex a pile of stuff to get a big value item.
    What they don't seem to grasp is the price stated is for cash and that's what I want or near enough with a bit of haggling. I might consider something that I can sell on with cash on top, but don't expect me to shift a pile of your stuff for you unless I can make more money by doing so.

@fields5069 ;
    there are some great wee breweries about that we should shout about more, one local to myself Saltaire Brewery do some great beers also. 

http://saltairebrewery.co.uk/saltaire/?page_id=18

Their Coffee and Hazelnut Porter is a fantastic beer 
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I've found Free cycle to be quite good with giving stuff away. I don't think we would ever have given away 326 CD Jewel Cases otherwise.