Arsehole Gumtree Users

What's Hot

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2432
    All is not lost. 

instead of cancelling  my half day on Friday im off beer shopping for the final 7 beers in my 365 Beer challenge :-)
    Ah, what's that about clouds and silver linings? :D
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33988
    edited October 2016
    Im Scottish, its Arsehole 
    Does it not spend upon who the person is who has wronged you?
    I'd suggest that an American who screws you over would be an asshole, but a Brit would be an arsehole.
    Someone from the Middle-East would be an 'alshsharij'.
    A Pole would be a 'dupek'.

I might have just talked myself out of this- seems like a lot of work.
    Arsehole it is.
  • fields5069fields5069 Frets: 3826
    Spanish - gilipollas, cabron de mierda, hijo de puta etc. I love Spanish insults. They are so good at it.
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    monoamine said:
    I love it when people try and haggle on the price if they have driven to you. Entirely pointless excercise as they likely have the asking price in cash in their pocket already, or they have wasted their own time by making the trip. The looks on their faces when I immediately tell them that I want the full asking price is classic. Once there was a genuine reason to give some money off though which I did.
    Can be wholly valid. Asking price is just that, and until you've seen the item you don't know if you're prepared to pay the full price. Usually I agree the lower offer is a 'throw away' and folk are happy to pay full asking price. Othertimes there might be a valid reason to barter and prospective buyers might decide to walk away if they genuinely feel the ask price is too high. 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33988
    Voxman said:
    monoamine said:
    I love it when people try and haggle on the price if they have driven to you. Entirely pointless excercise as they likely have the asking price in cash in their pocket already, or they have wasted their own time by making the trip. The looks on their faces when I immediately tell them that I want the full asking price is classic. Once there was a genuine reason to give some money off though which I did.
    Can be wholly valid. Asking price is just that, and until you've seen the item you don't know if you're prepared to pay the full price. Usually I agree the lower offer is a 'throw away' and folk are happy to pay full asking price. Othertimes there might be a valid reason to barter and prospective buyers might decide to walk away if they genuinely feel the ask price is too high. 

Agreed.

The risk as a buyer is driving up to view it and they have to be prepared to walk away if it isn't the right price or the condition isn't as advertised.
    I've walked away on occasion but usually people are pretty reasonable.
    If the item isn't as described then they make an offer at the level they think it is worth and it is either accepted or it isn't.

You can tell when someone is manufacturing a reason to try to talk you down. 
    Main thing is don't be desperate to sell and people who are chancing it simply don't have any leverage- you just wait for the right buyer to come along. I think people are sometimes too impatient to sell.

I drove 2 hour to view a drum kit last week- the bass drum hoop had a bit of damage on it that wasn't in the pictures.
    I offered him £100 less than we had agreed on the phone (half the price of a new hoop)- he said 'I'll give you £50 off'- I agreed. Job done.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6939
    Spanish - gilipollas, cabron de mierda, hijo de puta etc. I love Spanish insults. They are so good at it.
    We had some Spanish lads on our Uni course - great lads actually...

They reckon one of the best put downs over there translates to - 'you will feel my hot breath on the back of your neck as I bugger you'...

Anyway...gumtree is ok - I use the email only comms. You can filter people out that way. People who are too lazy to string a proper sentence together with no salutation get ignored!

Also I don't give any personal details out as a seller until I need to - ie when you are confident you aren't dealing with a wrong un and they are coming to collect that day, then they get the address etc.
    Previously known as stevebrum
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    We don't bother selling stuff now.
    We give away what we don't want unless it's of obvious value and then we will sell it for the fairest price possible without leaving us too short, through an appropriate place, like guitar gear would be here etc.

Anything household that we want to give away, we rarely have to walk further than the downstairs floor in our block our next door before we find one of our neighbours who wants it. None of us here have much money so it's quite a tight little community and we're all in one way or another friends so it all works. Our building itself is like stepping back in time 40 years and we all help each other out in our block. Most of the time stuff we give away goes to one of the people here in our block or our local charity shop.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320

They reckon one of the best put downs over there translates to - 'you will feel my hot breath on the back of your neck as I bugger you'...

They'd know about that sort of thing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    One mans put down is another mans flirting..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    Dodge said:
    ICBM said:
    Dodge said:
    I tried to buy some amp stands on Gumtree yesterday (needed to be shipped) - bloke insisted on a bank transfer even after I offered him Paypal + 5% to cover his fees.

To$$er.
    To be fair, he has a valid reason - you can reverse a Paypal transaction even with the fees. What you should have suggested is Paypal Gift, which can't be reversed and you pay the fees.

Assuming you didn't offer that, in which case he's probably a to$$er...
    Yeah, but I wanted some form of buyer protection which a bank transfer / PP gift doesn't provide.  As is the case when you sell on Ebay, if you use a tracked service when shipping to your buyer, Paypal will at least entertain the idea of getting involved in the event of a problem between buyer and seller.
    No they won't. If you are the seller, Paypal will side with the buyer, especially on general low value purchases.  

You're annoyed with him for wanting exactly what would happen if he met you. You give him the money, he gives you the goods.  Next time you sell something on Gumtree, give the goods to the guy and let him go, promising to pay you a week later...that's what paying by Paypal is like.
    Ok, so was looking for a really cheap Bass to lay down some tracks, found one fairly local last night ( 40 mins drive local ) messaged them, yes the bass is still available, when can you pick it up? i can drive through and pick it friday, ok i shall mark it as sold. 
    came to work this morning arranged a half day on Friday so i can go and pick it up, Arsehole messages me and says " hi i sold the bass last night" my response " yeah i know , to me" Arseholes response " no to someone else" 

So now have to cancel half day at work and keep looking. 

Rant over, feel better now i have vented , thanks for listening 
    You really expect him to wait for a complete stranger to turn up a few days later rather than take money from the buyer standing in front of him? Would you say to your neighbour "No you can't buy it as some complete stranger says he'll come to see it next Friday?"

Rule with bargains - you snooze, you lose. If you can't get there straight away with your money, that is your risk, not the seller. AND he had the decency to tell you!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4699
    Cheers @Chalky ;

thanks for pointing out it's actually me that's out of order for expecting someone to keep their word 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Cheers @Chalky ;

thanks for pointing out it's actually me that's out of order for expecting someone to keep their word 
    Keep their word? Its a Gumtree advert not an oath!
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4699
    Sorry pal but if you come to me and tell me something I have advertised is what your after,and give me a time and a date to come and collect it then as far as I am concerned it's yours and it's sold, Maybe im a bit old fashioned like that.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    Sorry pal but if you come to me and tell me something I have advertised is what your after,and give me a time and a date to come and collect it then as far as I am concerned it's yours and it's sold, Maybe im a bit old fashioned like that.
    I don't think its about being old fashioned, but more about reasonable expectations.  If you've held it specially for someone whilst still getting offers from others, then that is disappointing if you get let down. 

But the reality is that it ain't over til the fat lady sings. Until some one sees it, makes an offer that you accept, and money and item changes hands, there"s no deal. Contrary to popular thinking, you offering an item for sale at £x is not an offer...its an invitation to treat. The offer comes from the buyer.  Money passing in exchange for the item is the consideration, and only then is the deal done. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Sorry pal but if you come to me and tell me something I have advertised is what your after,and give me a time and a date to come and collect it then as far as I am concerned it's yours and it's sold, Maybe im a bit old fashioned like that.
    ive had this a lot with gumtree. people call and say thay cant pick it up until 2,3, 4, 5, or more days time. Im always honest and i just say if i havnt sold it by then, you can buy it, but phone me up on the day you are coming, i wont hold it for you. sounds tough but we are selling guitars, not lifesaving medicine
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
    ive had this a lot with gumtree. people call and say thay cant pick it up until 2,3, 4, 5, or more days time. Im always honest and i just say if i havnt sold it by then, you can buy it, but phone me up on the day you are coming, i wont hold it for you. sounds tough but we are selling guitars, not lifesaving medicine
    +1 - fair to everyone
  • SkippedSkipped Frets: 2371
    I don't have a problem inviting someone with an eccentricity, or a personality defect, into my home to buy gear.
    But I want the eccentricity/quirk to be a known quantity that I can get used to. Not a surprise.
    And that is why I only deal with forum regulars.

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skipped said:
    I don't have a problem inviting someone with an eccentricity, or a personality defect, into my home to buy gear.
    But I want the eccentricity/quirk to be a known quantity that I can get used to. Not a surprise.
    And that is why I only deal with forum regulars.

You should just ask people before they come to buy your stuff. It's only one more text or email:

"By the way, do you have any eccentricities or personality defects?"

"Uh... Yes. I'm profoundly deaf, a little bit indecisive and I live on a farm, so I'm going to turn the amp you're selling up full for a good hour before I buy it. See you at 1AM!!"

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• daveyhdaveyh Frets: 692
    Whilst I have no doubt your word is good, how did he know that? He might have made all sorts of arrangements, put off other buyers etc, then you not turn up.