Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

dictator ruled bands

What's Hot
siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
What do you think about them in regard to one person calling all the shots...often dictating pay and everything else that goes on in band life? 2 famous name bands would be Richie Blackmores Rainbow and Bon Jovi.

Could you stomach being a slave in such a band?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    I was in one for quite a while. On occasion it felt like an abusive relationship. Particularly looking back on it now...
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Saddam and the Skylarks 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17916
    tFB Trader
    If you know the score and the guy calling the shots is OK then it's fine.

It's the bands that pretend to be a democracy, but aren't that are the real killers.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Never again..
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Mugabe and the Mudflaps
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    Lots of them. Ike Turner,  James Brown, etc. As far as local bands go I get more posed off at musicians that do nothing but turn up and play, pocket the cash and moan that the food was not the best.  If someone can and does take the role of sorting everything and still pays for the hour or so on stage then more power to them.  You always have the chance to run your own band.
  • Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited October 2016
    Hitler & The Nazi's.

Bunch of posh art school dropouts.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    By all accounts Captain Beefheart was a right hard taskmaster. Treated his musicians who contributed just as much as he did, if not more, like his personal slaves and kept the lion's share of the money by taking all the writing credits.
    Seems like he was very hard to get on with.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Joe satriani, steve vai both dictators, van halen etc....lol i jest I'm more thinking of local bands playing the small time scene. Often with their heads in the clouds and ideas way above their station. 

• Jack_Jack_ Frets: 3175
    edited October 2016
    Devin Townsend? Dave Mustaine?

They just sack anyone who doesn't agree with them...
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    Don't most bands have a 'leader'?

Mark Knopfler once described himself as a 'benevolent dictator' when he was in Dire Straits. When Waters decided he was in charge of Pink Floyd others took exception - but ultimately the band changed after he left.

I suppose what I'm saying is that yes - plenty of bands have been run by dictators - but they were probably better for it....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    I guess it just irks sone folk being bossed around by someone who they feel is inferior. :lol:
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    Problem is worse when it's the other extreme. A band full of pedestrians that debate every minor detail yet achieve or decide nothing meaning the band coasts to a halt not coming close to reaching its full potential. The reality is every band needs leadership to succeed, at least some people recognise that and are willing to try. If my reply sounds passionate it's because I'm about to kiss goodbye a band I've nurtured for ten years because all my efforts have got me apart from some utterly cracking gigs was the reputation of being a cunt. 
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    Leadership is not the same as dictatorship! !
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • BensonBenson Frets: 242
    edited October 2016
    siraxeman said:
    Leadership is not the same as dictatorship! !
    No but leadership badly executed, yet with good intentions, is often confused with dictatorship. 
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    It's not uncommon for lazier musicians to moan that someone is being bossy when they comment about not learning songs or contributing.     In one of my bands the drummer is the weakest member, doesn't book gigs or contribute to the pa but moans the most about wanting more gigs and any niggles with the sound - he thinks the singer is too bossy.

It's tough balance between leading a band,  having a bit of get up and go and pleasing the majority.      In a couple of bands I probably lead the way but I do dep gigs for a couple of bands and I just turn up and do want I'm told by the "dictator" and charge them accordingly. 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Trouble is, most self-styled leaders turn out to be absolute twats with egos the size of Alaska.
    Usually the ones that are focused on world fame and riches.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4805
    The Eagles
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24868
    Voxman said:
    The Eagles
    Which one was the dictator? Surely there was a choice in that band!
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33988
    Smashing Pumpkins.