Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

dictator ruled bands

What's Hot

Comments

• Voxman said:
    The Eagles
    I'd rather listen to an album by an actual dictator than a second of the the bloody Eagles,

The Idi Amin Band Songbook? Bring it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10575
    I play in one band that certainly has a leader .. nick named "The Colonel " .... he basically sings, decides what songs we are gonna do, organizes all the gigs and generally leads the band. I think it's a good system, decisions are made quickly and the whole thing is very focused and that's important. As good as democracy is .... it can be time consuming and lead to bands being unfocused about what they are trying to achieve . The leader status is earned though, the fact I'm better paid in the band means he's doing his job better than the others in my book
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    Yoko Ono.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    edited October 2016
    Egos are often the reason behind band splits....when 2 or more egos collide. Singers usually have the biggest egos but us guitarists can be not far behind sometimes. Egos often = who's he to tell me (or us) what to do. As someone has already said sometimes you clearly have 1 or 2 talented members in a band with a few much lesser talented guys. If someone is a main writer and it is their writing behind a bands success then fair do's as long as they remain tactful and diplomatic towards the plebs lol
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Springsteen and the E-Street Band. He calls all the shots, originally signed as a solo artist and then employees the band. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    ELO 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23699
    Can you have a dictatorship which is also a coalition?  Simmons and Stanley seem to be joint dictators in Kiss.  
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10575
    I honestly think once you get to the likes of ELO, Kiss, and that kinda scale the accountants are probably the dictators .....
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    Although not a dictatorship CSNY has always been a bit funny. It's always been Stills and Young + Crosby and Nash. It all works until Crosby gets into a fight. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 203

Mark Knopfler once described himself as a 'benevolent dictator' when he was in Dire Straits. 

.................... and even sacked his own brother after re-recording his parts. 

In fairness, he did play on his brother's solo albums to make up for it.

• It's the bands that pretend to be a democracy, but aren't that are the real killers.
    I have a different problem - I've always tried to make our band a joint effort, but the others all expect me to make the hard decisions.

I suspect that's because "making the hard decisions" == "doing all the hard work nobody else wants to do" in their heads...
    <space for hire>
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30320
    I know what you mean.
    I can never decide between drink or drugs, so usually it's both.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Your band sounds like fun, @Sassafras ;
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1644
    I have no issue with the band I'm in being the singers band. He put 8 years into it before I joined. To be honest we all contribute to the song writing and we are all working for the same goals so ego doesn't really come into the band. 

• bigjonbigjon Frets: 681
    My band did a charity do for free last March, as a one-off I did everything democratically, gave the others a chance to pick the songs (nobody did) gave each member a veto over any of the songs I suggested (nobody bothered) and invited them to change my running order (they were happy with my choice) - back to dictatorship it is then! :-)
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    Van the Man - although I think he can be very laissez-faire, expecting everyone to just know what to do with very little instruction.

Don't Coldplay have some kind of democratic system where they're all paid the same percentage, including the manager, regardless of who wrote what etc?
  • Springsteen and the E-Street Band. He calls all the shots, originally signed as a solo artist and then employees the band. 
    I don't think I'd have an issue being in this band.
  • GuitarseGuitarse Frets: 165
    Roger Waters. Say no more. 
    Never ever bloody anything, ever!
  • Noel Gallagher gave the impression of being the tyrant in Oasis.  
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24887
    thebreeze said:
    Van the Man - although I think he can be very laissez-faire, expecting everyone to just know what to do with very little instruction.

Don't Coldplay have some kind of democratic system where they're all paid the same percentage, including the manager, regardless of who wrote what etc?
    Queen did that after Bo Rap as Fred and Rog got the money (Rog wrote the B side) as it was all kicking off.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd