Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS 594 & Gibson True Historic 59

What's Hot
ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
Anyone played both and had a chance to compare?
I'd be interested to hear opinions.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
    edited November 2016 tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    Anyone played both and had a chance to compare?
    I'd be interested to hear opinions.
    Neil - give John a call at Peach Guitars - I know him well - he sells both and should be able to give you a valid appraisal - I've not tried a 594 yet so must get round to that but by all accounts it is excellent - In many ways I feel this is the 'competition' to the 59 LP he has always wanted and it is his shape (ie the Custom, Modern Eagle, McCarty etc) but seriously influenced by the LP - I would imagine the build quality is not even a hint of an issue, it is how they play, feel and sound - let me know how you get on - If you don't already know John, then just mention you know me - he is a good lad
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    @guitars4you thanks Mark. Will do.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The 594 is the most vintage vibe'd, Gibson-esque short-scale guitar that PRS has produced, period.

However, and I am speaking from experience, I would say that the 594 and Custom Shop LP really are different animals regardless of whatever else anyone might tell you - and I personally think that's a good think, and not a stir of the pot. That opinion extends to how they sound, how they play, and how they feel (in the hand, and on a strap).

If you're buying new then you are potentially at two very different price points - around 3.2k for a production 594, vs 7k for a TH 59.

If you're comfy at the 7k price-point then I would recommend a true "A/B" comparison would involve trying a Private Stock 594, but be confident in the knowledge that even the core PRS model has the potential to give Gibson's finest a run for it's money in terms of overall quality (fit, finish and tone).

The TH line will contain excellent examples of type for sure, but expect to have to look a lot harder to find a rocket.

Above all, I recommend visiting a few of the top-line stores and trying examples of each - and enjoy the process! :)

It's also worth noting that you "can" find fine examples of standard historics from 2013 onwards that will potentially match or even out-perform any TH (and vice versa) and save you a hefty wedge in the process, and any collector's choice from 2013 will put you right in the TH ballpark spec-wise aside from some minor plastics mumbo-jumbo ;)

Mark has mentioned Peach - but I'd personally give a shout-out to Coda and World Guitars for stores I know to generally carry both models. Outstanding examples of 594 (core and PS) are also to be found currently at Sound Affects and Wildwire, but it looks like those stores are not on your doorstep.

Do please keep us informed as you progress, and drop me a PM, should you wish, if you have any  specific questions ...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @Powerslave thank you kindly.
  • Would be very interested to hear how you get on with the 594 @ennspek was planning a trip down to Peach myself to try them out, though Wildwire is actually closer to me.

Historically I use World Guitars, even though it's a bit if a trek. Once I get the time I'll let you know how I get on.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11547
    @Powerslave - there are good Gibson reissues before 2013.
  • @crunchman - completely agree, but spec-wise they do stand apart from the TH's and other comparable variants from 2013 onwards and so I was seeking to limit my discussion to fall in-line with the specifics of the original query.

But, again, you are right - Gibson have been making good LPs for some time now :)

• I had a quick go with this 594 at my local;
    http://www.reidys.com/pr/electric-guitars/prs-mccarty-594-blood-orange-22970/

They did have a 59 TH in, but it got sold last week.
    Still have a 58 TH in stock in the store;
    http://www.reidys.com/index.pl?SubDepartment=All+Products&Keywords=true+historic&submit=Search&MinimumCost=&MaximumCost=

I haven't had the pleasure of playing a 59 TH or 58 TH, but I do have a standard 58 re-issue to compare it against.

Biggest difference is weight!
    And the neck profile. I found the 594 to have a very chunky neck (more 58 than 59) with a slight but noticeable v carve in it.
    The 594 was very comfortable to play, with the usual PRS ergonomics, neck access and setup.

• I'm far from a PRS fan, but that 594 looks spectacular.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11547
    I'm far from a PRS fan, but that 594 looks spectacular.
    It does look nice.  I'd prefer it with the PRS one piece bridge though rather than a TOM.
  • crunchman said:
    I'm far from a PRS fan, but that 594 looks spectacular.
    It does look nice.  I'd prefer it with the PRS one piece bridge though rather than a TOM.
    I'm far from an expert... I don't even work in the medical profession ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • No one's going to bite at that last comment? Back to troll school for me ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    edited November 2016
    I don't think we have many Doctors on here. 
  • Dentists... You're supposed to troll the dentists.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitarfishbay Bugger! An amateur mistake.

Reading Guitarist magazine through the 90s must have tainted me with subliminal pro PRS propaganda. Secretly fancy one, but feel so dirty for doing so. Maybe I should retrain as a dentist?
  • ennspek said:
    Historically I use World Guitars, even though it's a bit if a trek. Once I get the time I'll let you know how I get on.
    Jeff sold me my DGT the year before he sadly passed, great guy and a great shop. Not been since though sadly.

• The 594 has peeked my interest in owning another PRS. 

Hey ho all the Private stocks in the U.K. Sold but I find it interesting that of the 26 they made it would seem 5 ended up in the U.K. Shows the popularity of PRS that is a high percentage imho
  • I'll come clean I'm a doc and i have several PRS's.  There I feel clean
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a few True Historics and played several 594s (although only the standard not Private Stock).They are Very different guitars, they can sound in the same ballpark as you would expect as the woods are the same and the scale length very similar. But they feel totally different when playing them.
    The 594 was a nice guitar but suffered from the same problem (for me) as the others and that is the V12 finish, I find it plasticky and it just spoils the experience for me. I dare say the Private Stock will feel and look a lot better as I do like PRS when given the nitro treatment. World Guitars has 3 or 4 Private Stock 594 guitars and probably at least 4 or 5 True Historics if looking to compare.