Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS 594 & Gibson True Historic 59

What's Hot

Comments

• I was in PMT in Salford yesterday and noticed they had a 594 in a rather fetching washed-out blue - and a £6k Les Paul in a glass display cabinet (I assume at that price it's a True Historic?)

As a slight side issue - the post Brexit price increases are very noticeable. I wanted to try an amp and used an Eric Johnson Strat - which is now priced at just over £2000....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monkey42monkey42 Frets: 341
    I've had both guitars, and remain with my LP. the PRS is a great stand alone guitar in the ball park, but materials and finish will ultimately make it sound different.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • edbolivar said:
    I have a few True Historics.
    Got any going spare...?  ;)
    260+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • monkey42 said:
    I've had both guitars, and remain with my LP. the PRS is a great stand alone guitar in the ball park, but materials and finish will ultimately make it sound different.
    Crikey the 594 must have hit the chopping block quick!

• fred11fred11 Frets: 66
    I've got both -one of the original guitar of the month 594's and a 2013 R9. They're very different guitars both from a feel and sound point of view. The 594 feels a lot nicer when it comes to build quality, it really is on a completely different level and I'm so impressed by PRS in that perspective. Sound wise the 58/15LT pickups are warmer to my ears than the custom buckers in the R9 and even more so compared to the BKP Mules which I've recently replaced them with in the R9. One thing I like with the 594 is the coil splitting which I use a lot. At the end of the day the two guitars get about the same amount of play time, and I wouldn't part with either of them...

0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    Lovely guitars.
  • The only thing that puts me off trying a 594 is that I might like the control layout so much that my Paul's Guitar begins to bug me... maybe they should do a 59408?! :D
  • @fred11 two absolute stunners there. Enjoy!
  • TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    The only thing that puts me off trying a 594 is that I might like the control layout so much that my Paul's Guitar begins to bug me... maybe they should do a 59408?! :D
    You could go Private Stock like someone I know....  ;)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've spoken to WG and told them I'll be popping in. It's a great shop run by lovely people but going there terrifies me. It's always an expensive trip.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6237
    tFB Trader
    ennspek said:
    I've spoken to WG and told them I'll be popping in. It's a great shop run by lovely people but going there terrifies me. It's always an expensive trip.
    whatever cash you think you may spend.... just mentally write it off. It'll help deal with the post purchase regret.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2461
    Am I the only one that thinks the pickup selector switch positioning looks hideous on a double cutaway guiitar? Stands out there like a sore....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Strat54 said:
    Am I the only one that thinks the pickup selector switch positioning looks hideous on a double cutaway guiitar? Stands out there like a sore....
    No definitely not!
  • There is a Singlecut 594 now. 
  • andyozandyoz Frets: 718
    Strat54 said:
    It was the first thing I thought too.. sorry lads...
  • Twinfan said:
    The only thing that puts me off trying a 594 is that I might like the control layout so much that my Paul's Guitar begins to bug me... maybe they should do a 59408?! :D
    You could go Private Stock like someone I know....  ;)

Ooh Dave tell me more about this!.....Which dealer have you gone through? 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2016
    It's via Tim at Sound Affects, Ormskirk.  When Paul Smith was over at their event in Feb(?) this year I had a chat with him about a possible Private Stock order, but only if I could have certain specs.  I think he found me a little 'demanding' (!) in what I wanted, but we agreed on a compromise spec and it should be here in the next month or so.  It was a great chat actually, but I don't think he could believe I was so up front with him!

It's a DC 594 with 408 (different sized) pickups and Signature switching (toggle not blade switch) and a wrapover bridge not the two piece.  Plus a couple of extra surprises I'll keep to myself for now  ;)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14866
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    It's via Tim at Sound Affects, Ormskirk.  When Paul Smith was over at their event in Feb(?) this year I had a chat with him about a possible Private Stock order, but only if I could have certain specs.  I think he found me a little 'demanding' (!) in what I wanted, but we agreed on a compromise spec and it should be here in the next month or so.  It was a great chat actually, but I don't think he could believe I was so up front with him!

It's a DC 594 with 408 (different sized) pickups and Signature switching (toggle not blade switch) and a wrapover bridge not the two piece.  Plus a couple of extra surprises I'll keep to myself for now  ;)
    is that the actual body and flame Dave - You'll have to update further etc
  • Strat54 said:
    No, it's looks odd to me too, but I don;' know where you would put it with the 2 tone/2 vol layout, maybe rearrange them controls to an SG style?

I've not played a 594 but have played and owned enough PRS. A Historic Les Paul is a Historic Les Paul, it comes with the weight of history, mojo, tone and foibles of Gibson build and quality, all of which makes it the legendary guitar that it is.

A PRS always feels and looks like a PRS to me regardless of the tweaks to shape, controls, scale length etc. It's a modern sounding and feeling guitar with all of the pristine attention to detail and precise build quality that comes with a PRS, but the PRS mojo is one that is rooted in the 80s and I don't feel such warmth towards them as I do to a Historic Les Paul

is that the actual body and flame Dave - You'll have to update further etc
    Yep, that's my guitar at the factory Mark.  One piece European maple top, South American mahogany back, Madagascar rosewood fingerboard.