Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

PRS 594 & Gibson True Historic 59

What's Hot

Comments

• TwinfanTwinfan Frets: 1625
    I've not played a 594 but have played and owned enough PRS. A Historic Les Paul is a Historic Les Paul, it comes with the weight of history, mojo, tone and foibles of Gibson build and quality, all of which makes it the legendary guitar that it is.

A PRS always feels and looks like a PRS to me regardless of the tweaks to shape, controls, scale length etc. It's a modern sounding and feeling guitar with all of the pristine attention to detail and precise build quality that comes with a PRS, but the PRS mojo is one that is rooted in the 80s and I don't feel such warmth towards them as I do to a Historic Les Paul
    You need to play a 594.  They really have their own thing going on, and they're definitely different to a PRS McCarty or an SC245.  The scale length and other tweaks really give it a character.  I was surprised at just how different it is.

I agree that an R9 feels more raw and unrefined.  For me that's a negative, others a positive.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Twinfan said:
    is that the actual body and flame Dave - You'll have to update further etc
    Yep, that's my guitar at the factory Mark.  One piece European maple top, South American mahogany back, Madagascar rosewood fingerboard.

And are those Celtic knots ?

Twinfan said:
    It's via Tim at Sound Affects, Ormskirk.  When Paul Smith was over at their event in Feb(?) this year I had a chat with him about a possible Private Stock order, but only if I could have certain specs.  I think he found me a little 'demanding' (!) in what I wanted, but we agreed on a compromise spec and it should be here in the next month or so.  It was a great chat actually, but I don't think he could believe I was so up front with him!

It's a DC 594 with 408 (different sized) pickups and Signature switching (toggle not blade switch) and a wrapover bridge not the two piece.  Plus a couple of extra surprises I'll keep to myself for now  ;)

Nothing wrong with being upfront when you know what you want and what better way of making sure it happens than talking directly to the man in charge! I couldn't imagine any other big brand manufacturer doing that for you so kudos to Paul too.. This definitely deserves a thread of its own Dave, not even seen anything on the PRS forum about this one, how are you managing to keep your excitement at bay? Its certainly going to be a special 594........

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    I've kept it quiet as it was such a long lead time, the Private Stock department seems very busy this year with the Guitar of the Month specials and customer orders.

They're not Celtic Knots, I wanted to have them to match my other guitars but wasn't allowed as they're Collection Series only.  These are called Labyrinth Knots and are a similar style/design.  I think it's the first guitar PRS have made with them.

Paul was excellent when I chatted to him.  I think he was a little taken aback at first that I didn't just take what he said as gospel, rather I offered my experience and preferences and argued my opinion with him.  Once he realised I knew what I was talking about he decided to set out to prove he was right.  As I understand it, my guitar will not be signed off by the Private Stock team until Paul has checked it out and approved it(!)  He's been personally involved in the whole process, which is just incredible.  Definitely a guitar to cherish once it arrives  :)
    1reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25101
    Twinfan said:

Paul was excellent when I chatted to him.  I think he was a little taken aback at first that I didn't just take what he said as gospel, rather I offered my experience and preferences and argued my opinion with him.  Once he realised I knew what I was talking about he decided to set out to prove he was right.  
    I'm intrigued to know which details and features you debated!
    Philly_Q said:

Neck wood!
    Twinfan said:
    Philly_Q said:

Neck wood!
    I was wondering what the neck wood is, from the pictures... is it maple, or just a light-coloured mahogany, or something else?
    Something else  ;)

I was only interested in ordering another guitar if I could have a pernambuco neck.  I have an SC245 with one, plus my two Collection McCartys with them, and I wanted a 594-408 with one.  I hoped there would be a neck blank knocking about somewhere that I could have, so I pushed Tim (from Sound Affects) and Paul for one.  Earlier in the day, before the event in the evening, Paul told Tim there was none left so I said I wouldn't order a guitar then.

After the event with Paul and Bernie Marsden, Tim introduced me to Paul and we had a chat.  He insisted that chaltecoco was just as good and that he had some nice neck blanks.  Not convinced, i explained my experience with pernambuco and also with BRW vs IRW and said I wasn't prepared to gamble on a build with something I had no experience of.

Bottom line - Paul said he will personally ensure my 594-408 will be tonally comparable to my pernambuco necked guitars.  I guess I'll find out in a month or so if that's true when I take my 'best' Collection McCarty to Sound Affects for a comparison...
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ^  And that gets a "Wow!" :)
    I'm still not convinced it'll have what my pernambuco guitars have - they're really quite distinctive.  However, I'm sure it'll certainly be a great guitar in its own right...
  • Very very close to what I'd spec too @Twinfan, even down to the inlays! There's something about PRS guitars that just ticks all the boxes for me, so one day I'll probably go for a Private Stock for the hell of it. :)
    edited November 2016
    They're in another league from the production stuff if you're the kind of player who uses pick attack and positioning, volume and tone controls etc.  The dynamics just shine through.  Probably not worth the money for the "everything on 10" player though!

I can't play anything else these days, my main Collection guitar is starting to pick up quite a few dings, dents and scuffs from all the gigs and rehearsals it's done!
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4972
    fred11 said:
    I've got both -one of the original guitar of the month 594's and a 2013 R9. They're very different guitars both from a feel and sound point of view. The 594 feels a lot nicer when it comes to build quality, it really is on a completely different level and I'm so impressed by PRS in that perspective. Sound wise the 58/15LT pickups are warmer to my ears than the custom buckers in the R9 and even more so compared to the BKP Mules which I've recently replaced them with in the R9. One thing I like with the 594 is the coil splitting which I use a lot. At the end of the day the two guitars get about the same amount of play time, and I wouldn't part with either of them...

Wow, gorgeous guitars - if I was rich they'd be right in my price-range!   =)
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    They're in another league from the production stuff if you're the kind of player who uses pick attack and positioning, volume and tone controls etc.  The dynamics just shine through.  Probably not worth the money for the "everything on 10" player though!

I can't play anything else these days, my main Collection guitar is starting to pick up quite a few dings, dents and scuffs from all the gigs and rehearsals it's done!
    at least you are playing yours - I dare say many are barely touched - sounds like it will have many fine attributes and reminds me of the good old days when I could spec PS models with Jo Knaggs and Tina - does Tina still work there + P  Miles ?
    Yep, Tina and Paul helped out with the wood selection of my build.  I think the top in particular was a Paul Miles find  :)
  • I'm just waiting for an SE 594.
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11725
    I'm just waiting for an SE 594.
    Or an S2
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 15429
    tFB Trader
    Twinfan said:
    I'm still not convinced it'll have what my pernambuco guitars have - they're really quite distinctive.  However, I'm sure it'll certainly be a great guitar in its own right...
    I recall stories in the past with pernambuco

did you sell that SC with pernambuco in the end
    Twinfan said:
    I recall stories in the past with pernambuco

did you sell that SC with pernambuco in the end
    No, I still have it!  Swapped the pickups for some Mojos and it's transformed it.
  • ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I've met Paul once or twice. He's an interesting character. Very passionate about what he does though.
  • Twinfan said:
    Something else  ;)

Bottom line - Paul said he will personally ensure my 594-408 will be tonally comparable to my pernambuco necked guitars.  I guess I'll find out in a month or so if that's true when I take my 'best' Collection McCarty to Sound Affects for a comparison...
    Whats the deal if it doesnt? Presumably these kind of things are paid for up front? Or did Paul say he'd take it back?