Sherlock

What's Hot

Comments

• Shit. Gave up and watched some Jeremy Brett Holmes instead. 

And the poster with Toby Jones... Doctor Who did exactly the same with the Vote Saxon posters years ago. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Shit. Gave up and watched some Jeremy Brett Holmes instead. 

Brett is my favourite Holmes as well. That ITV series was well made - shame Brett died young.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Aye.....it isn't a patch on the Jezza Brett series of Holmes. And don't bank on Mary being dead....it appears that in this series they can just 'restage / reshoot' death scenes so the they can manipulate a plot. I'll be watching the next two episodes though...would be rude not to.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    Yep, that really was poor; dialogue, production, mystery, dr whoish turns, and all a bit uncomfortable knowing that the actors playing Watson and Mary have recently separated after a long marriage with child. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Fretwired said:

Brett is my favourite Holmes as well. That ITV series was well made - shame Brett died young.
    Brett will probably always be the best Holmes for me. I can't imagine anyone doing it better.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    When Sherlock asks his landlady to tell him if he ever becomes too arrogant, perhaps Moffat and Gatiss should be asking the same question, especially since they were selling it as the best series yet. 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2433
    Bannister Crumblybench looking disinterested,  Bilbo bellend still doing the bumbling Hugh Grant thing,  shame as the earlier series were excellent. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    Aye, absolute drivel. Wife was so excited to watch it I haven't actually had the heart to ask her what she thought of it. Moffat needs to be driven out to a remote pasture and retired.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73031
    Cirrus said:

Wife was so excited to watch it I haven't actually had the heart to ask her what she thought of it.
    I haven't with mine either, but she's been unusually totally silent on the subject ever since, almost as if she's trying to pretend it never happened...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Finally watched it. What a load of bollocks.

Watson is supposed to be a veteran combat medic who'd been in Afghanistan and his wife just got shot. He just sits and whines? Sureley he remembers his training for treating a gunshot wound? Also, there's a major A&E next to the London Aquarium if I recall. Couldn't someone call 999?

There is PLENTY of source material left in the original Strand stories and running with an updated version (the USB stick in a Maggie bust instead of a Napoleon bust) could have worked out very well. Trying to work in a back story of a supposed elite mercenary unit was nonsense.

Seeing as how they randomly bring people back to life we'll see Mary again, I'm sure (and Moriarty). Somehow it was all a plot to  get the  nominal villan (the secretary) to inform her co-conspirators that  she is dead and Mary will reappear to scupper the plot in a huge reveal.

Too bloody clever for its own good and  if the Toby Jones episode doesn't  improve things, I'm not watching again.
    The actress who played Mary says she is 100 per cent dead as Mary died in the original stories (Holmes refers to Watson's grief at the loss of his wife).

• I know she died in the original stories. If I recall, Holmes bought out Watson's GP practice via a relative and got Watson to move back to Baker Street. The only way that her death was mentioned was Waston writing "my own sad loss". She was never really a major character in the Doyle stories.

Prehaps modern Mary is dead but Moffat and Gatis take such a cavlier Deus Ex attitude to the show that it wouldn't surprise me at all if she comes back.
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1284

I quite enjoyed it - apart from the fight scene with Sherlock in the pool.

Firstly - just another boring fight scene, where everyone becomes some sort of martial arts expert - and seemingly doesn't get hurt.

How someone can get hit that much and not need hospital treatment is a joke - let alone the idea a 'super SAS type' wouldn't go through Sherlock in 2 seconds.

Secondly - all the in jokes, just too self-aware and 'clever'

• ennspekennspek Frets: 1626
    I thought it was alright. Not great and not as clever as it needed to be but still better than most stuff on the box.
    The Holmes audio stuff that Big Finish have put out in the last couple of years has been good if anyone needs a Holmes fix.
  • harpoharpo Frets: 177
    I don't care whether it's good or not....all I know is that I appear in one of the remaining episodes!  
    0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    peteri said:

I quite enjoyed it - apart from the fight scene with Sherlock in the pool.

Firstly - just another boring fight scene, where everyone becomes some sort of martial arts expert - and seemingly doesn't get hurt.

How someone can get hit that much and not need hospital treatment is a joke - let alone the idea a 'super SAS type' wouldn't go through Sherlock in 2 seconds.

Secondly - all the in jokes, just too self-aware and 'clever'

In fairness in the books Holmes is a martial arts expert in the art of Bartitsu.

• StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    harpo said:
    I don't care whether it's good or not....all I know is that I appear in one of the remaining episodes!

Continue........ 
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    harpo said:

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7922
    harpo said:

httpsimgjokecoukimagesproductsjmw-v3small75712png

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • d8md8m Frets: 2434
    Let's see if tonight's episode is an improvement!