Sherlock

What's Hot

Comments

• Whilst I enjoyed some aspects of tonight's episode, I really wish they would stop with the ridiculous over the top, unbelievable stories. Get back to solving cases like they did in the first couple of series'!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27082
    edited January 2017
    mellowsun said:
    So the finale is a mashup of Ringu, Silence of the Lambs and the Rock. Ludicrous
    I thought there was a bit of Saw in there, too.

The solution to the gun game was so obvious that Sherlock should've pegged it right at the beginning. However, that wasn't my problem with the whole thing.

In fact, I had no problem with it right up until the girl-on-the-plane reveal (trying to be vague to avoid spoilers); before that, it was a reasonably decent episode, much better than the other two. From there on out it was just emotional bullshit, and the last DVD was purest cheese. The final shot...well, whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired from TV, forever.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeadphonesHeadphones Frets: 1004
    Quite entertaining.

Don't know what standard you guys are measuring it by, but there's little this good about to watch - Hawaii 5-O, CSI...

Be reasonable!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3109
    There was also a bit if Fight Club in there too ' the way that literally everyone on the Rock had been indoctrinated. Soppy ending indeed. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    A waste of 90 minutes - appalling, self-indulgent garbage. Moffat has sunk to a new low. It wasn't even original - it nicked ideas  from films and other TV shows. Lost the plot. The biggest pile of shit on the BBC. They could have done us all a favour and killed off everyone. This show should be buried in a deep hole and forgotten. Check out the comments on the net.

My verdict 0 out of 10.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2915
    Only one Sherlock and his name was Jeremy Brett. 

This "updated" cool BBC bollocks is tosh. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583
    I don't watch it, I gave up not long after the first series.  It is all rather smug, self-indulgent and tiresome... but it does amuse me that it winds up the BBC-hating Daily Mail TV reviewer so much.
  • I liked it.

• Col_DeckerCol_Decker Frets: 2188
    I thought the "if you can find them, maybe you can hire the A-team" ending was laughable. Right up it's own arse. 

Ed Conway & The Unlawful Men - Alt Prog Folk: The FaceBook and The SoundCloud

'Rope Or A Ladder', 'Don't Sing Love Songs', and 'Poke The Frog'  albums available now - see FaceBook page for details

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8497
    digitalscream said:The final shot...well, whoever thought that was a good idea should be fired from TV, forever.
    All of my toes are broken from how tightly they curled at the end of that pile of shite.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • John_PJohn_P Frets: 2756
    When This incarnation of Sherlock first started it was fantastic- really clever and watchable.   If it had started with an episode from like tonight or this first show from this series then I suspect it wouldn't have lasted into a second series.   Very disappointing.  
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    The problem I have with this and a lot of modern TV and film is that it is afraid to be what it is. Rather than simply solve detective cases (or, say, in the case of the Avengers films tell a superhero story) it all has to be an existential threat to the characters and the end of the world. It masks a fundamental insecurity in the writers, I think, to just tell a simple story without relying on artificial jeopardy and the continuing 'big reveal'.

The other problem is the inconsistency of the universe they inhabit and its history and rules, which is sort of unforgivable in this context. Sherlock has a secret brother, no wait it's a sister, no wait it's a brother and a sister. It makes a nonsense of the deductive process that is supposed to be a part of the pleasure of this sort of programme.

All of which said, I enjoyed it. I just wish it could be different.
  • Overblown gibberish. Love the first two seasons, liked half of the third but the final season... no. 

blueskunk said:

But Peter Cushing was a good Sherlock. Basil Rathbone likewise. Benedict Cumberbatch is a good Sherlock who is hampered by bad writing, just as Peter Capaldi is a good Doctor coupled with fuckawful scripts. Moff must be enjoying the online reaction. It's nothing to what I think he'll get for his final season of Who. 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23583

blueskunk said:

But Peter Cushing was a good Sherlock. Basil Rathbone likewise. Benedict Cumberbatch is a good Sherlock who is hampered by bad writing. 
    Given how many different people have played Sherlock Holmes on film and TV, I think the character has actually been remarkably well represented.  

There are very few bad Sherlock Holmes adaptations, apart from the two Guy Ritchie films (which are probably not too terrible - if you like that sort of thing - but have nothing to do with Holmes) and the TV movies with Matt Frewer.  Christopher Plummer, Nicol Williamson, John Neville, Robert Stephens - all starred in really good Sherlock Holmes films.
  • I quite enjoyed this finale, and feel if it is to be the final Cumberbatch Sherlock, it was a good way for it to go out!

There were a couple of things in it I didn't like and the fact they didn't go far enough and follow through on a couple of threads was disappointing.
    I did think Redbeard was a nice thread, but Girl on Plane was a little wasted!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31123
    edited January 2017
    This seems more like Holmes Under the Hammer to me.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • mikeyrob73mikeyrob73 Frets: 4691
    completely underwhelmed by last nights episode. thats all i can say really.  
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Apparently Paul Weller was in last night's episode dressed as a Viking.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • SnapSnap Frets: 6268
    I watched the first series, and the one where he jumped to his "death", but nothing after that. Should I bother?

Have to say, that mostly I find anything Stephen Moffat does childish and lightweight.
  • the_jaffathe_jaffa Frets: 1843
    Just watched last night's episode.

Definitely jumped the shark now. Middle episode of these three was just about ok but in general is had totally disappeared up its own arse.

Shame, as it was very good in the early series.