Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Name your top 3 guitarists

What's Hot

Comments

• guitargeek62guitargeek62 Frets: 4386
    1. John Frusciante
    2. Dave Grohl
    3. Malcolm Young
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2228
    edited March 2014

George Benson: unfortunately there's a lot of shlock in what George does but his talent is off the scale.  Been blown away recently by a youtube clip of him playing Stevie Wonder's Lately, a masterclass in playing a melody-with-variations with impeccable phrasing, tone and imagination.
    Very good call sir, I nearly went with Benson. Like you say he can be a bit cheesy at times, but the guy is a monster of a guitarist. And a damn good singer too!!! Makes you sick, and he's the only guy who can scat sing and get away with it!
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
  • 1. Charlie Simpson
    2. Jeff Beck
    3. Andrew Ridgeley
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 25006
    @ICBM - Richard Thompson, Roy Buchanan and John Martyn...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74493
    @ICBM - Richard Thompson, Roy Buchanan and John Martyn…
    :))

I was expecting that… ;)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited March 2014
    1. Duane allman 2. Derek trucks. ( he should smile a bit more though) 3. Gary rossington
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • redwedgeredwedge Frets: 22

I'll tell you one thing for certain though, Clapton, Green, Moore, Buckingham and Stuart Adamson are all definitely in my top three.

Stuart Adamson is probably the reason I play guitar - him and Bruce Watson never seem to have got the credit they deserve
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Tim Wheeler, my biggest inspiration to pick up guitar. Chad Gilbert, brilliant live. Pete Koller, best beat downs.
  • chenzmanchenzman Frets: 200
    Mikael Akerfeldt, Dimebag Darrell(RIP) & John Petrucci. Dimebag made it look so easy whilst having a damn good time :)
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11978
    tFB Trader
    In order of discovering them (between ages 14-18...and yet still my favourites)

Brian May
    Michael Schenker
    George Lynch

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fnptfnpt Frets: 766
    no james dean bradfield yet?
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1657
    Hendrix 

If he had only ever released castles made of sand he would still be numero uno. There's so much going on in that one track, the subtlety and variation of his playing blows me away. Every imitator I've heard - and there have been some belters -  have sounded one dimensional by comparison. 

The other two I dunno, loads of great guitarists already mentioned. Wes, Thompson etc. I dunno!

nobody ever mentions Django. 

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 7066
    Fortheloveofguitar;192427" said:
    1. Charlie Simpson
    2. Jeff Beck
    3. Andrew Ridgeley
    I'm concerned about number three - presumably you chucked it in to see who's reading!?

Previously known as stevebrum
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8630
    Don't always like their musical "vehicle" but for pure guitar playing it would probably be:

Jeff Beck
    Eric Johnson
    Robben Ford

For more in-song playing it would be:

Neil Young
    The Edge
    Dave Gilmour

See how I managed to squeeze in two lists !

• fnpt said:
    no james dean bradfield yet?

Would have topped my list once upon a time, but after too many sub-par Manics albums he's gone down in my esteem.

• supessupes Frets: 200
    Joe Perry
    Slash
    Richie Sambora

To me it's not about how fast or how flash they are, it's what they bring to the music. Without these 3, their respective bands just wouldn't be/aren't anything near what they are with them.
  • 1.Scotty Moore - '54/'55 with elvis,
    2.Bernard Sumner - i know he's not what you might call a brilliant guitarist but he's put together some great simple riffs that made me want to learn the guitar.
    3.Malcolm young
  • Cahir O'Doherty, Isaac Brock, Jim Ward.
  • For me you can play all of the notes with all of the techniques under the sun and that doesn't impress me - I find virtuoso stuff mind-numbingly dull - I'd rather listen to a great rock song with a well phrased pentatonic solo than a self-indulgent shred! A guitarist is only as good as his band. For that reason my number 1 is Slash - he writes great rock songs which always have a great solo to match, but its more about his killer riffs and songwriting for me. His last album was killer!

1. Slash

2. Oli Brown - great song writer and very technical player. Love his 'less is more' approach to recording, but 'more is more' approach to live playing. Its like the albums are a teaser for the live shows.

3. Jimmy Page (debated between him and Van Halen, but I prefer Led Zeps music. I have a love hate relationship with Van Halens music as most of it is gash, but the good stuff is brilliant)

Check out my band Coral Snake if you like original hard rock!

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Jim Hall, Buddy Guy, Mike Campbell. I wouldn't have picked up a guitar were it not for Clapton, though.