Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Advice Please Guys. Sellers Hell - My Experience

What's Hot

Comments

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10398
    Sure you get the odd thing, but I've got 400 feedback, mostly selling and I've had 2 bad experiences.

I think that you need to put it into perspective and not be so drastic to completely come off of the platform. You could buy using PayPal gift here and get mugged off.

Some kid in a call centre in a different country doesn't know if the switch should be a latching or not on some boutique pedal, they're just gonna side with the buyer and I can see why. They just don't have the knowledge to deal with every nuance of every sale and they never will. 

You have to take the good with the bad, have your wits about you and you'll mostly be fine.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1333
    Saw it on ebay. Listed at 1250 and with a certificate. What a cunt. 
    He also has two other guitars listed without certificates, wonder if they will magically appear soon.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • andrewawardandrewaward Frets: 1157
    edited February 2020
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • tele69 said:
    MattP said:
    impmann said:
    Fishboy7 said:
    I sold a pickup for 100 and the buyer claimed it wasn't working and asked for 60 partial refund to have it rewound.

I gave the refund,  but on reflection I think I might have been scammed. He wasn't keen on returning for a full refund I recall.
    Sounds like a dodgy one... thats why you should only offer a full refund. If its faulty, then fair enough and the buyer should be happy to return it but if not...
    Really interesting, this. I sold a pedal on ebay recently. Worked perfectly but I got a message from the buyer saying he couldn't get it to turn on, and asked for a partial refund to get it fixed. I'm not really au fait with eBay and the current crop of scams, but didn't want the chap to have the hassle of a busted pedal so i simply offered him a full refund if he'd send it back. That was it, no further communications at all from him. On the basis of whats been said on this thread, it sounds very much like a try on.

Really sad that some folk behave like this for a few quid.
    Yeah it is. Some people are skint and resort to desperate measures. Some people are out to gain by whatever means with no scruples. Sad isn’t it 

Whereas what they should really do if they're skint is not buy any fucking guitar gear until they can afford it
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 9614
    I’ve just been made aware of this thread as I’m the buyer (and now seller) of @tele69’s jazzmaster.
    I rarely use this word, but I’m calling @tele69 a liar. Please allow me to explain why.

I was looking for a jazz and this one came up on eBay. It had been returned by a previous buyer or someone had pulled out. I didn’t get to the bottom of it. Anyway, I contacted the seller and asked about condition. I’m told it was perfect other than a very small ding he sends me a picture of. He then offers a deal which seems ok by throwing in an anodised pickguard so I agree to buy.

To be fair, guitar arrives quickly and very well packaged. I open and inspect the guitar and one ding my arse. The guitar has been well used- not a problem. In reality there’s buckle rash to the rear, 4 decent dings to the top and other scratching and play wear. It’s not through the paint, but it isn’t the single ding he’s claimed. It’s had a hard life for a guitar only 2 years old.

So, my intention is to return the guitar as the condition isn’t what he’s described and I wouldn’t have paid what I paid. The seller counters, I sleep on it and agree to accept a partial refund. 

Fact is though, I’m not happy with the condition and I decide to move it on. Clearly I’m going to list above what I paid as I’m going to get an offer and accept it. If I list at the lower price, I lose money. Not rocket science.

The certificate was a mix up and I found it in the bottom of the container box used when I’m listing the guitar. My mistake and no intention to deceive. It didn’t form part of the refund agreement anyway.

Had the op been a grown up, he could have messaged me rather than coming on a forum, lying and trying to gain sympathy. Had he been a grown up, I’d be delighted to send the guitar back and get my money back, but I can’t imagine many people being that happy when I’ve had the guitar for a few weeks. The offer is open though if he covers postage costs.

If anyone thinks I’ve been a dick, sorry, but actually the seller should have been honest about the condition of the guitar. I don’t believe I’m the first person to return the guitar.

8reaction image LOL 11reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • johnljohnl Frets: 2011
    edited February 2020
    The certificate thing sounds a bit weird. Presumably the seller insisted he'd sent it and as you were acting in good faith presumably you had another quick look for it but you only found it when re-listing the guitar? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting read. There’s always two sides to a story. Not taking sides, but I will say in my experience it’s not uncommon for some sellers to downplay or hide the real condition of their items because they know it will negatively affect the value. If that’s what happened here,  the seller shouldn’t be surprised when a buyer gets pissed off.
  • I. Am. Gripped. Please continue. 
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HaychHaych Frets: 5795

There is no 'H' in Aych, you know that don't you? ~ Wife

Turns out there is an H in Haych! ~ Sporky

Bit of trading feedback here.

7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 4011
    edited February 2020

I don't know if I'd go as far as to call that buckle rash.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:

Also no mention of the “ 4 decent dings to the top and other scratching and play wear” in the description and I don’t see that many dings in the photos.
  • thebreezethebreeze Frets: 2819
    Before this all leads to greater unhappiness, neither of you want the guitar.  Why doesn't Chris return it and put yourselves back in the position you were before all this started or Chris continue to sell it and split the profit between you?  I think this is better discussed in PM between you too.  It looks like neither of you were deliberately trying to outdo the other but that there were misunderstandings.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23703
    Small world, isn't it?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    @thebreeze Ill send it back tomorrow if he’s prepared to give me a refund and if he’d dropped me a message before, that would already have happened. 

Imagine though if I’d contacted him a few weeks after said I’d changed my mind and I wanted to send it back? People would be kicking off left right and centre.

prlgmnr said:

It doesn’t photo well and neither do the dents in the top, but I can assure you they are there and unlike the op, I’ve made it clear on my eBay listing. The difference is, when I sell something, people know what they are getting. If I overdo the condition, I’d rather that than pretend it’s something it isn’t.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chris78 said:

prlgmnr said:

It doesn’t photo well and neither do the dents in the top, but I can assure you they are there and unlike the op, I’ve made it clear on my eBay listing. The difference is, when I sell something, people know what they are getting. If I overdo the condition, I’d rather that than pretend it’s something it isn’t.
    You haven’t made it clear in your eBay listing at all. These are your words:

Guitar has isn't in brand new condition, but in my view has started the ageing process that these guitars are designed for beautifully. This guitar will relic with age, but with real wear, not false "relic" style wear.”

That’s quite different from: “
    4 decent dings to the top and other scratching and play wear”.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2020
    chris78 said:

prlgmnr said:

You haven’t made it clear in your eBay listing at all. These are your words:

”Guitar has isn't in brand new condition, but in my view has started the ageing process that these guitars are designed for beautifully. This guitar will relic with age, but with real wear, not false "relic" style wear.”

That’s quite different from: “4 decent dings to the top and other scratching and play wear”.

Look at the condition section. I’ve stated there is buckle rash and multiple to the top including one down to the wood.
    Anyway, I’ll wait and see if I hear from the op.
    If he feels he’s been wronged, he’ll take the guitar back and refund my money. Everyone is happy.
    Itll be interesting to see if he does or if he’s trying to scam me through eBay. I wonder?
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    edited February 2020
    What kind of jazz master is that? 
  • What kind of jazz master is that? 
    A dinged up one
    28reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
This discussion has been closed.