The Football Thread.

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11876
    City will win it this year since I can see all other teams dropping points more than they do.

Liverpool has already show signs that they are not in gear, their midfield looks tired.  Arsenal don't have the depth in the squad, if Jesus get injured I can see them drawing a lot more games.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    I agree in that winning the Prem (or top league of the day) is 100% the biggest prize .... but the Champions league is still an immense trophy to win. City fans have never been that interested, which I find weird. I'm desperate for Man U to win more (unlikely for some years!). Pep 100% wants to win again, I'd say he needs to. There will be a small element of failure if he doesn't get it with City at some point. It was a bit of a failing of Fergie that he only won two.

• Hattigol said:
    jellyroll said:
    TTony said:
    axisus said

City look unstoppable this season unfortunately. 
    They’ll still get knocked out in the CL quarters/semis though, and as that’s their main target......
    ;)

As a City fan for nearly 50 years, let me tell you, its really not.
    As a United fan, I get this. The press used to love hammering us when we got knocked out of Europe but honestly, having grown up surrounded by Liverpool and Everton fans (back when being a United fan was the polar opposite of being a glory-hunter) crowing about us not winning the League, the League was all I ever really wanted us to do well in.

Playing every team home and away and finishing top of the pile - that's the true test of a team. It was great when we did well in the other competitions but the League, that's what matters.
    Exactly. And most City fans still sigh with relief when we get to 40 points...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 5 wins from 5 is great and all but again we need to see the real test by playing City and Liverpool. Those teams we expect to beat, with a fully fit squad to choose from.

Aubameyang to Chelsea looks like happening which makes me sick. Out of all teams to go he goes to a London club. But he's played under Tuchel before. He is like 33 or 34 so his best years are past him. He never really recaptured his form once he signed that new deal.

As for ourselves another midfielder/striker wouldn't go amiss. What happens if Jesus gets injured? Partey can't play more than 5 games in a row, Xhaka has a red card in him and Elneny is out for a while.
  • I'm a bit gutted we (Spurs) didn't added more.. I feel like we could be stretched now... needed a creative midfielder at the very least...  2 more windows needed to compete is the current mantra... err why wait??
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• 3rd win in a row for United.  Not a vintage win against struggling Leicester but it’s our 1st 3 game streak since April last year.

Main thing for me is the defence is looking much better.  The confusion and apathy seems to have been replaced by aggression and urgency.

Up front we look fairly blunt but with Ronaldo staying (he looked far better that Rashford when he came on) and Anthony signed we should kick on a bit now in front of goal.  Rashford should not play as a CF, hopefully Martial is back soon.

Casemiro looked good when he came on.  Him sat in front of the new look defence makes a vastly different proposition from last season/the first 2 games of this season.

Arsenal on Sunday, I fancy us getting something from that.

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited September 2022
    My club West Brom managed to sign a free defender who hasn't played for two years, and managed to fail to get two lots of paperwork through on loan deals for players who had both been at the club itself most of the day. We did however manage to sign a League 2 striker the other day, which just about sums us up

At home to Burnley tonight and I feel it's going to be a very hostile environment
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8189

3rd win in a row for United.  Not a vintage win against struggling Leicester but it’s our 1st 3 game streak since April last year.

Main thing for me is the defence is looking much better.  The confusion and apathy seems to have been replaced by aggression and urgency.

Up front we look fairly blunt but with Ronaldo staying (he looked far better that Rashford when he came on) and Anthony signed we should kick on a bit now in front of goal.  Rashford should not play as a CF, hopefully Martial is back soon.

Casemiro looked good when he came on.  Him sat in front of the new look defence makes a vastly different proposition from last season/the first 2 games of this season.

Arsenal on Sunday, I fancy us getting something from that.

Agree with all of that. Team looks totally unrecognisable from last season. Building from the back - we don't score many but if we can keep regular clean sheets, we won't necessarily need to.

I honestly do not get how Rashford is viewed as being anywhere near good enough. He is a massive weak link for United - really think they should have cashed in on him if it was true that PSG were sniffing around for him. 

Martial isn't the answer either.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis

• Rashford is useful out wide against teams that will dominate possession but as a number 9 no way.  Agree, we should have sold.

Martial isn’t the answer but he’s far better through the middle than Rashford.  Pity he can’t stay fit for more than 2 games.   Either way we’re stuck with them both so they will need to be used.  Ronaldo doesn’t have the pace if we need fast counter attacks and won’t be able to play all the games anyway.

If we’re a CF away from being a good team in a few months I’ll take that, because we were 10 players away from being a decent team a few weeks ago!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov is fairly obviously just David Moyes with a moustache.
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    As a long term stressed West Ham fan, I do like the look of Emerson and Paqueta do look good advance buys to offset Rice leaving in summer. Werner looks good , penalty and own goal notwithstanding.  Hopefully all that will encourage SOucek and Coufal to rediscover their first season form because they are bloody good when they are firing

• My club West Brom managed to sign a free defender who hasn't played for two years, and managed to fail to get two lots of paperwork through on loan deals for players who had both been at the club itself most of the day. We did however manage to sign a League 2 striker the other day, which just about sums us up

At home to Burnley tonight and I feel it's going to be a very hostile environment
    Not a great deadline day. I'm not sure what to say other than that. Finishing the day weaker than we started is so Albion.

Hopefully BTA is better than we hoped and Daryl is nearer to fitness than we think. I don't think either is true though.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9717
    edited September 2022
    My club West Brom managed to sign a free defender who hasn't played for two years, and managed to fail to get two lots of paperwork through on loan deals for players who had both been at the club itself most of the day. We did however manage to sign a League 2 striker the other day, which just about sums us up

Not a great deadline day. I'm not sure what to say other than that. Finishing the day weaker than we started is so Albion.

Hopefully BTA is better than we hoped and Daryl is nearer to fitness than we think. I don't think either is true though.
    Ironically we also failed to get rid of the one player anybody was interested in that we'd want to get rid of, being Reach (Wigan supposedly interested). I was genuinely shocked to see he wasn't about 34 or 35 - why can't he run?

Dike seems to be made of crisps so I doubt we'll see much of him personally. Seems a great chap which is an awful shame but ultimately there must have been good reason that we were the only club in for him.

No idea on the chap from Salford, probably just play alongside Cleary in the Under 14s or whatever it is they play them in
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    So Harland has scored 9 league goals to date - Only 4 other clubs (ex Citeh) have scored more goals than Erling
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10215
    edited September 2022
    sev112 said:
    As a long term stressed West Ham fan, I do like the look of Emerson and Paqueta do look good advance buys to offset Rice leaving in summer. Werner looks good , penalty and own goal notwithstanding.  Hopefully all that will encourage SOucek and Coufal to rediscover their first season form because they are bloody good when they are firing

I'm not sure. We needed to strengthen in those areas, and they aren't a replacement for Rice as he's in a completely different position. I think that this is part of guaranteed investment from the new shareholder, and money from the Europa league last year plus projected earnings from the Conference League. I believe that if we sell Rice for £70m - £80m we will still see investment from that, altbough I do believe that this outlay is meant to last us 4 years plus. Ie, don't expect many more transfers after this for a while!

If you mean Thilo Kehrer yea, he looks the business. He's been unlucky as he's obviously quality. 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    sev112 said:

I'm not sure. We needed to strengthen in those areas, and they aren't a replacement for Rice as he's in a completely different position. I think that this is part of guaranteed investment from the new shareholder, and money from the Europa league last year plus projected earnings from the Conference League. I believe that if we sell Rice for £70m - £80m we will still see investment from that, altbough I do believe that this outlay is meant to last us 4 years plus. Ie, don't expect many more transfers after this for a while!

If you mean Thilo Kehrer yea, he looks the business. He's been unlucky as he's obviously quality. 
    My typing and spellcheck together generate some amazing results - I must have typed Kermer and they generated that with their AI !

my thinking was how on Earth is anyone going to replace Rice with what he does, so those two allow us to do it in a different way 

• I'm just jealous really
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14262
    tFB Trader
    53A1D7D9-A626-4DE2-A161-80EB3D306C5Bjpegand the new team bus
    4reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Great comeback by us vs Forest! Finally Dom woke up!

#upthecherries 
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10215
    VAR sucks. We were robbed today. That was NEVER a foul.

What's the point in it if you just have the same human error in play. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom