PRS owning tossers........

What's Hot
12346»

Comments

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 587
    I don't understand why people are sniffy about PRS.
    The ethos seems to be first class and every video I have seen shows a true dedication to quality, efficiency, and playability. 

If I could afford a top end one I would. 
    The SE's look very good.

Sadly as a lefty I won't get to enjoy the choices you all seem to, however.

A friend has a Wood Library one and it is a work of art. Lovely. Oh, he is not a dentist, he's an airline pilot.
    If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Injured Veteran and head injury survivor. Bouts of grumpy behavior and brutal humor are to be expected.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Epi LP Custom
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3435
    edited February 9
    FastEddie said:
    I don't understand why people are sniffy about PRS.
    I've never really bonded with them because the iconic PRS has a very flamey top, birds, a body shape that is a bit anodyne and a slightly awkward looking headstock. My opinion and ymmv etc. So the S2 range have the most appeal for me, particularly the mira, vela etc.

I've played a few prs's and they have all been really high quality, beautifully playing instruments. I played a full fat custom 24 at a gig last year, and it was great. The 24 fret neck threw me off a little (just not used to it) and the volume control was a little too easy to accidentally catch. But everything else was great!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2226
    edited February 9
    I enjoy playing mine. 

I like fancy things.

0reaction image LOL 16reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24004
    ^^  They're in reverse order in the second picture, right?  I was trying to figure out all the differently shaped control cavities and then I twigged.  D'oh!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2226
    Philly_Q said:
    ^^  They're in reverse order in the second picture, right?  I was trying to figure out all the differently shaped control cavities and then I twigged.  D'oh!
    Ah, yeah!
    Fixed it!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73359
    Those maple necks are amazing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Mike58Mike58 Frets: 162
    I am a dentist but do not own a PRS.... what the hell is wrong with me?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 992
    Mike58 said:
    I am a dentist but do not own a PRS.... what the hell is wrong with me?
    Still working for the NHS?
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27975

Why is it that when they do a Blacktop finish DGT, they don’t do the plain-edge binding thing and just transition from black to natural? 

I’m pretty sure that’s the thing that would be most likely to push me over the edge… 
    You realise that they’re nitro-finished* right, so easy enough to send across to @lamf68 for a refin ;)

*well, mostly - there was a small run of V12 ones at one point, but otherwise all nitro.
    Ha! Don’t give me ideas… 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ICBM said:
    Those maple necks are amazing :).
    Specifically maple or just satin? I love satin necks in general. Flame maple is very cool, though.

Specifically maple or just satin? I love satin necks in general. Flame maple is very cool, though.
    The flame maple. I much prefer maple to mahogany for necks*, and the flame in those is really spectacular.

I do also like satin finished necks, but that’s easy to do. I keep having to do it to my nitro-neck Swamp Ash Special… it just won’t stay non-sticky. I hate nitro! I’ll probably wear it all off eventually, which would be an improvement…

(*Even though my much-missed PRS Standard was mahogany.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Colin on The Guitaristas bought a gold top PRS recently, it's pretty close to the PRS that could win me over. I really don't like fancy topped guitars, I'm not even a fan of Les Paul bursts. If they made a 24fret gold top without the stupid birds on the neck I'd be very tempted.
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1029
    edited February 10
    Colin on The Guitaristas bought a gold top PRS recently, it's pretty close to the PRS that could win me over. I really don't like fancy topped guitars, I'm not even a fan of Les Paul bursts. If they made a 24fret gold top without the stupid birds on the neck I'd be very tempted.
    Yeah I saw that yesterday evening, He went for the SE DGT model, I’m looking forward to his review of it.

If they made a 24fret gold top without the stupid birds on the neck I'd be very tempted.
    They have made them, but they’re extremely rare. You need either an early Custom 24 goldtop with moons, or a CE24 goldtop with dots.

The only one I can see at a quick search is this one…

https://reverb.com/uk/item/32973401-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-vintage-1986-prs-rare-gold-top

(Incorrectly described as ‘pre factory’, which is BS you will see a lot with early PRSs.)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I do feel tempted from time to time to take a punt on a second hand SE and see if I prefer it to my Charvel. Been years since I tried a PRS, didn’t float my boat at the time but that may have changed.
    @ICBM Don't show me things like that for christs sake! =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

If they made a 24fret gold top without the stupid birds on the neck I'd be very tempted.
    They have made them, but they’re extremely rare. You need either an early Custom 24 goldtop with moons, or a CE24 goldtop with dots.

https://reverb.com/uk/item/32973401-paul-reed-smith-custom-24-vintage-1986-prs-rare-gold-top

(Incorrectly described as ‘pre factory’, which is BS you will see a lot with early PRSs.)
    This one's checks most of the boxes, and is on a shop wall about 10 mins from my house!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35214787-prs-s2-usa-standard-24-in-frost-blue-metallic-with-dots-and-gig-bag
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24004
    ICBM said:

This one's checks most of the boxes, and is on a shop wall about 10 mins from my house!

https://reverb.com/uk/item/35214787-prs-s2-usa-standard-24-in-frost-blue-metallic-with-dots-and-gig-bag
    But you've shifted your goalposts a bit from a 24-fret goldtop without birds.  ;)
    Philly_Q said:
    ICBM said:

But you've shifted your goalposts a bit from a 24-fret goldtop without birds.  ;)

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom