Foods you absolutely hate

What's Hot

Comments

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Anything that comes out of the sea. Unless it is processed by a chip shop. And called battered cod. Smelly cheeses. Cucumber. Courgettes. Aubergine. Marrow. Lamb. Tripe. The chicken feet the Chinese patrons go ape shit over at Lao's Buffet in town. Slimy stuff. Ears/eyes/brains etc. Chicken on the bone. Bacardi. Fancy mushrooms.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16329
    viz said:
    Oxen are generally male, so I'm not sure that was milk. I think you meant kine.

maybe they tried the oxen first, found they didn't like what came out of that and moved onto the kine.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1332
    Cucumber.  It's the taste and the smell.  Everybody says it doesn't taste of anything, but it bloody does.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bluechargeboybluechargeboy Frets: 1906
    edited October 2014
    jd0272 said:
    Bacardi.

Haha, does everyone have an alcoholic drink that they religiously avoid? Tequila for me! BAD.

EDIT: Cucumber!!!!! How could I forget that one! How to spoil any meal, even a glass of iced water!
    I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24607
    I forgot about lamb.  Horrible strong taste that isn't at all pleasant.  Leaves a minging aftertaste too.
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
  • BodBod Frets: 1332
    Most Chinese takeaways - horrible gloopy, gooey sh1te which doesn't taste of much - but whatever it does taste of is the same, irrespective of the meat it is purported to contain.
    That flavour is monosodium glutamate in most cases.  I once thought I was suffering a heart attack after eating chinese food.  I had palpatations and my left arm went numb, all from MSG.
  • Curry. I know that is very anti Brit., but even the smell makes me reach...
  • Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24607
    Retch.  Reaching is stretching out an arm...  unless every time you smell curry you involuntarily give a sieg heil :-)
    Donald Trump needs kicking out of a helicopter

Offset "(Emp) - a little heavy on the hyperbole."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    edited October 2014

Had Peking duck last night.  Thought I hated it.  We had ducks as kids when my parents tried living the Good Life for a while with a duck shed out back. They used to run around after my dad had chopped their heads off with a blunt axe on a block and tasted well gamey.

Peking duck is lovely though, glad I tried it.  Guess it's like candied animal.

Milk and any goat products I cannot stomach though and it will make me vomit and jellied eels or most meaty things 'Jellied'.

I remember a scientific survey somewhere, I can't find it.  Their findings suggested that if you like goat's cheese, you are a covert feminist lesbian with bad breath and if you don't like curry, your testicles have not fully descended and your favorite music artist is Nana Mouscouri.

Although I still can't find it online, my experiences have also found similar findings.

Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited October 2014
    jd0272 - you would love the way the Swiss prepare fresh pike from the lakes.  They fry it up in little pieces in breadcrumbs and batter like Scampi,  It's lush.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15762
    How did we first start using dairy at all? Who thought I'm liking the look of what comes out the nipples of that oxen, goat, sheep, horse,etc.

well, consuming dairy is, like, one of the defining features of being a mammal.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12481
    Oysters are quite nice grilled, but yup I wouldn't eat them raw. The thought of something live going in my stomach, however briefly it lived, makes me feel sick even just thinking of it.

Food hates otherwise are : most types of cheese, scotch, horseradish, mustard and any really hot,spicy foods.
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17137

Mutton.

Why would you eat mutton? I can only imagine it's because you got pissed, and forgot to slaughter a lamb a bit earlier in the year. The God-awful smell makes me heave, and I cannot believe that it comes from the same animal.

• boogiemanboogieman Frets: 12481
    Mutton curry is superb.
    Save the lambs, they are cute.  Eat mutton.
    VimFuego said:
    How did we first start using dairy at all? Who thought I'm liking the look of what comes out the nipples of that oxen, goat, sheep, horse,etc.

from your own species though! I don't think many mammals consume the milk of other species except for humans.
    boogieman said:
    Mutton curry is superb.

interesting documentary about mutton on Radio 4. Historically sheep were kept primarily for wool and the meat was a byproduct, lamb wasn't really eaten in the UK until it was imported from Australasia in the 1950's. Mutton is common in Muslim cultures but it isn't halal to hang meat so it's fairly tough and a lot of people find things like mutton curry off putting. However, well hung mutton slowly cooked should be tender and tasty. Very trendy meat now along with offal. To my way of thinking much better to eat a meat like mutton than things like intensively reared chicken whose life was just 4 weeks of misery.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited October 2014
    Onions - bleurgh!! (ok to some degree bnut really not keen). 
    Most mushrooms - bleurgh!
    Liver!
    Mussels and funny fish food - bleurgh!!
    Lentil soup - reeks lol...
    Old mouldy blue cheese - bleurgh!

• Stevepage said:
    Onions, slippery bullshit.

Salad. Can't think of anything more boring and tasteless than leaves with a bit of funny looking sauce chucked on top.

Salmon

So I'm not the only one regarding onions...

Salmon is lovely, though!
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15762
    VimFuego said:

from your own species though! I don't think many mammals consume the milk of other species except for humans.

not many animals cultivate grasses to eat either, but we do that as well. We do lots of things other animals don't. 

Seems perfectly reasonable to me that early farming man over in Syria or wherever knew that human drank milk, and that the milk we consume looks a lot like the milk that comes out of a cow and thought it'd be a lot easier to keep and milk a cow than a human. And of course today, we still regard it as a bit taboo to keep women in pens, feed them on concentrate, keep them permanently pregnant and milk them twice a day.

What's interesting, is a lot of mammal species lose the ability to tolerate milk as they grow, mostly I guess cos mummy mammal stops feeding the young as it ages, but we, in many cultures, keep consuming milk, so keep the ability.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.