Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

What happens when you die ??

What's Hot

Comments

• RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    equalsql said:
    When you die, your mate helps you take off your VR suit and asks you if your go at playing the game '21st Century' was any good as it's his turn now.

"What did you think of the Planet of the Nymphomaniacs?"

(obscure Red Dwarf reference)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RockerRocker Frets: 5022
    I believe that there is an afterlife where we will meet up with our loved ones, pets and everyone who was important to us in this life. I don't fear death either. If I am wrong, then I am wrong. I can live with that.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33958
    Rocker said:
    I believe that there is an afterlife where we will meet up with our loved ones, pets and everyone who was important to us in this life. I don't fear death either. If I am wrong, then I am wrong. I can live with that.
    Can you die with it too?
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    Rocker said:
    What if one of those people doesn't want to meet you? Who ends up unhappy, you or them?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1550
    Ravenous said:
    equalsql said:
    When you die, your mate helps you take off your VR suit and asks you if your go at playing the game '21st Century' was any good as it's his turn now.

"What did you think of the Planet of the Nymphomaniacs?"

(obscure Red Dwarf reference)

The recup-eh-ray-shun lounge, you twonk!
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29131
    quarky said:
    Rocker said:
    What if one of those people doesn't want to meet you? Who ends up unhappy, you or them?
    The only way it can work is if Heaven is instanced. Like Guild Wars, but probably more fighting.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Even though im pretty much on the Dawkins scale of belief, i find it very unsettling to think there is nothing 'after'.
    However, there is absolutely nothing in any of the laws of physics which would allow for such a thing as an 'afterlife'. With the possible exception of being able to download a consciousness into a computerised network. And this, perhaps, isnt as ridiculous as it sounds. Think about it. The brain is nothing but a computer. An organic one, with phenomenal processing power (for certain tasks). But still a computer. If we assume that consciousness (soul, etc) resides in the brain as an emergent process, then there is no fundamental reason this couldnt be replicated by a synthetic brain (computer) - especially with the advent of quantum computing. All it would then need is a mechanism to transfer data and algorithms from one computer to another.

But, at the moment, there is no life after death.

Adam
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484
    Sporky said:
    quarky said:
    Rocker said:
    The only way it can work is if Heaven is instanced. Like Guild Wars, but probably more fighting.
    It's probably segregated, just like all of the very worst regions of Earth.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7350
    edited September 2017
    The fact that there are physical laws governing factors such that energy can be neither created nor destroyed (only transformed) and that there is theoretically enough electrical energy in the human body to recharge an iPhone, means that when we die all that energy has to go somewhere... So, this could be the essence of what is romantically called a soul...

https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/textbooks/boundless-chemistry-textbook/thermodynamics-17/the-laws-of-thermodynamics-123/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics-496-3601/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3196460/Could-charge-phone-BRAIN-Human-body-generates-electricity-fuel-iPhone-70-hours.html

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    Even though im pretty much on the Dawkins scale of belief, i find it very unsettling to think there is nothing 'after'.

I don't find it upsetting at all- certainly I don't want to die but I have to acknowledge that it will happen once day.
    I try to use the knowledge of my inevitable death as a way of living my life positively.
    I sometimes see people grumping through their life, whinging and moaning about unimportant things and I just think 'what a waste of the precious time available to you'.

I'm not a particularly happy-clappy kinda person but I do think that having a positive mental outlook is something you can cultivate and although requires a bit of effort to do so.
    Ravenous said:
    Sporky said:
    quarky said:
    Rocker said:
    It's probably segregated, just like all of the very worst regions of Earth.
    That wouldn't be enough.

We had someone at work named Judith; she once commented that she and I were "like peas in a pod".

It's not therefore unreasonable to think that her heaven would include me.

My hell would include her. Therefore either we don't both go to the same place, or they have to be instanced and there'd be an NPC version of me in her heaven and an NPC version of her in my hell.

Unless my heaven allows me to blow people up in amusing ways. But being blown up probably isn't her idea of heaven, so we're back to instancing.
    Octatonic - i think that i meant 'unsettling' in the same way that staring at the Milky Way is unsettling when the vast distances of emptiness are thought about. I have absolutely no desire for an afterlife, nor any reason for believing in one.

Adam
  • If you were in Cumbernauld would you actually notice?
    Shot through the heart, and you’re to blame, you give love a bad name. Not to mention archery tuition.
  • Rocker said:
    So what happens if someone was important to you, but you were not important to them? For example some kids fall out big time with parents, the parents may love the kids, but the perhaps it's not reciprocated? perhaps they don't want to be with you in this afterlife idea?

• Rocker said:
    So what happens if someone was important to you, but you were not important to them? 

Like Elvis. :(
    Some folks like water, some folks like wine.
    My feedback thread is here.
  • Even if intended humorously - a questionable thread....

I've never considered myself religious - but I believe in the concept of people having a soul - the 'core' of what they are as people. I'm not necessarily suggesting this exists outside of the mind - but in computer terms - it's akin to their 'operating system' to me. 

I recently attended the funeral of friend who was just a few weeks younger than me. I found it profoundly depressing - partly because I was saying goodbye to someone relatively young - that seemed so unfair - and I think partly because it was a Humanist service and in that sense it really 'was' the end. No commending him to God, no hope of an afterlife; the end.

I suspect those who believe in an afterlife probably greet death slightly more positively than those who don't. Even if their faith is ultimately misplaced, I can see tremendous merit in it....
    I'm having a humanist service I hope. To be honest as far as I'm concerned they can dump my body on landfill and let the seagulls have it, but i suppose there will have to be some sort of service and I just hope it's not full of sycophantic tosh.

Also, and I know this isn't a religious thread per se, but to my mind a religious person is far more likely to hold something back in this life since they have another life to go to, or so they've been assured.
    I believe in an afterlife; that the physical body does but our soul 'moves on'. I could very well be wrong but, as with my belief in God, it keeps me in a frame of mind to appreciate life. 

I very much believe in the Don't Be A Dick Law though. My beliefs require me to generally not be a dick and play nice with others as it has a karma effect..... essentially that I get back the positivity that I give out.

I like Pascal's Wager. There *is* an argument that I'm wasting my time believing in the first place but on the other hand I'm quite happy with my ( delusional ) belief system.

:)

Twisted Imaginings - A Horror And Gore Themed Blog http://bit.ly/2DF1NYi

Rocker said:
    So what happens if someone was important to you, but you were not important to them? For example some kids fall out big time with parents, the parents may love the kids, but the perhaps it's not reciprocated? perhaps they don't want to be with you in this afterlife idea?

Hence my comments on instancing.
  • Hendrix must be in purgatory, stuck in endless jams with recently deceased guitarists.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    Rocker said:
    How could you possibly believe that?  There's just no plausible way it could be true.
  • aord43aord43 Frets: 287
    57Deluxe said:
    The fact that there are physical laws governing factors such that energy can be neither created nor destroyed (only transformed) and that there is theoretically enough electrical energy in the human body to recharge an iPhone, means that when we die all that energy has to go somewhere... So, this could be the essence of what is romantically called a soul...

https://www.boundless.com/chemistry/textbooks/boundless-chemistry-textbook/thermodynamics-17/the-laws-of-thermodynamics-123/the-three-laws-of-thermodynamics-496-3601/

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3196460/Could-charge-phone-BRAIN-Human-body-generates-electricity-fuel-iPhone-70-hours.html

Energy is dissipating all the time.  You just cool down and that's it.