Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Two Lancasters Flying Together!

What's Hot
not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
edited August 2014 in Off Topic

Wow, just seen the news that the Canadian Lanc will be visiting the UK later this year, and they'll be joint flights with the BBMF...!!!!

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/news/index.cfm?storyid=BAE7569A-5056-A318-A85195CB118987ED&rss=true

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    One says to the other "Does my bomb look big in this?"
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Awesome! Will have to make sure I'm back in Woodhall Spa visiting the 'rents on a weekend they do it, so I can get a nosey.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited February 2014
    Kebabkid said:    One says to the other "Does my bomb look big in this?"
    Haven't got a     X_X    X_X    X_X    X_X    X_X    X_X    button anymore, so just have to give you a LOL instead   :D

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    I once flew in the Lanc when I was in the RAF. Best experience of my life.
    0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Deadman said:

If you've got a few quid you can have a trip:

The Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum's Lancaster will also conduct a limited number of UK Bomber Membership flights from Humberside Airport while in England. This all inclusive membership includes the opportunity to be a crew member for a 30 minute flight in the Lancaster over selected historic airfields and bases of Lincolnshire, which is often referred to as Bomber County because of the number of Bomber Command Squadrons based there during the Second World War. We are limiting the membership flights to only 75. This is a "Once in a Lanc Time" opportunity and will not be available again

Each flight will have:
    • 4 x UK Bomber Membership Seats @ £3,500 each
    • 1 x UK Bomber Membership Cockpit Area seat @ £5,000 each
    Flight dates: August 18, 19 20, 26 & 27 (3 flights per day: morning, mid-day & afternoon)

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10781
    Kebabkid said:

If there's any justice in the world you're going to double your fret count with that post - great stuff!
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    I wonder if they will overfly the Lincolnshire aviation centre where the other Lanc that can move under it's own power is kept.

http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/

One day she too will fly. Probably not in time to get three in the air at once though.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • randomhandclapsrandomhandclaps Frets: 20521
    edited February 2014
    Deadman said:

Poor Mrs Deadman!  :D
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • ESBlonde said:
    I wonder if they will overfly the Lincolnshire aviation centre where the other Lanc that can move under it's own power is kept.

One day she too will fly. Probably not in time to get three in the air at once though.

That's "Just Jane" isn't it. Would be great to have her taxi on the runway as the other fly past...I'd pay to see that!
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    ESBlonde said:

That's almost an air force with more long range strike capability than the RAF has now...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    edited February 2014
    viz said:
    Kebabkid said:

If there's any justice in the world you're going to double your fret count with that post - great stuff!

Thanks @Viz although I could hear forumites groaning!

On a serious note, if people like World War II aviation stuff, The Brooklands Museum in Surrey has some fabulous stuff, namely the bouncing bomb and Wellingtons - http://www.brooklandsmuseum.com/index.php?

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3111
    edited February 2014

I'll have to get to one of the events. I saw a lot of the BBMF flights in the 80s and I'd like to take my son to see this.

As an aside I had the chance to see the stained glass window in Rolls Royce's Derby aero engine factory... proper lump in the throat stuff I can tell you.

"Commemorates the Pilots of the Royal Air Force of Britain who turned the work of our hands into the salvation of our country."

"A city star won’t shine too far"

randomhandclaps;171551" said:
    Deadman said:

I once flew in the Lanc when I was in the RAF. Best experience of my life.Poor Mrs Deadman!  :D
    Oh dear. Don't tell her! Seriously though, I can't believe it's 3500 quid for a seat! I took off from RAF Coningsby just behind the cockpit, moved to mid fuse for our mock bombing run (flypast) over Bracknell but the way back was best. I sat in the rear gun with the doors closed (very weird feeling), remember flying directly over Broadmoor hospital. I knew that as I overheard the pilot and co-pilot chatting over the comms. The best part was landing back at Coningsby sat in the top turret. I turned it full on into the wind but had to back off slightly as it was beginning to rain and as it came in it was like pins hitting my face. I've got the whole experience on video as I took my camcorder with me, keep meaning to get it put onto DVD. I miss working on BBMF stuff nowadays. Coningsby was a great place to work for a young lad like me back in the day.
  • Fantastic news indeed!
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    Why do people worship tools of mass killing?
    My V key is broken
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15916
    holnrew said:

dude, it's cos they're tools of mass killing, you telling me you wanna piss off one of them?!?

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    holnrew said:

Because they were tools of mass killing that we only came up with to fight-and beat- the Nazis. Remember them? They were pretty bad people. The cleverest and bravest men we had developed, built, flew and died in them in an act of great sacrifice.

My mum helped build them at A. V. Roe's. My uncle was killed flying as crew in a Wellington over Norway in 1940. My dad  was an RAF electrician and mopped blood out of returning USAAF B17s. To some of us it's not just an ethical debate.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrew said:
    Or alternatively tools for stopping a tyrannical regime continuing their mass killing.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Seeing a Lanc in the air is such a moving experience, the BBMF displays with the Spitfire and Hurricane are brilliant. Took my two young kids to Cosford Airshow last year to see them for the first time, I was amazed at my emotional response to a machine.

We should be proud of the men who flew in them, and the men and women who designed, built, maintained and supported them. These displays are a tribute to all those people. 

My grandad was RAF ground crew. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    holnrew;171677" said:
    I'll tell you what holn I never used to worship it when I used to get called back into work on an evening to fettle it. It used to take a hell of a lot to keep it airworthy. PA474 never dropped a payload in anger but I know what you mean. I've made my living from working on 'tools of mass killing' but like to think I've helped more people than I've contributed towards killing in my time.
    ;)