Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Two Lancasters Flying Together!

What's Hot

Comments

• GruGru Frets: 339
    Not sure if they will be at Duxford this weekend but planning to take my son there for the first time (I believe it's that last show of year?) I was gob smacked when I read the list of planes that are on display there now, planes I used to drool over 25 years ago. I remember taking a bus and walking around/touching decommissioned planes, like a graveyard, but can't remember if that was Duxford or north weald air shows.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We went to Duxford museum last year. It's amazing. They've got a blackbird and a b52 in the same room.
    Use Your Brian
  • 1nten5e1nten5e Frets: 245
    Windemere from the tail gunner :)

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was at windermere too on Sunday (up Gummers How). It was great. I was brought up a couple of miles from the derwent and Howden reservoirs in Derbyshire so have seen the raf one a few times on memorial flypasts. Two together was special though.
    I was looking across at you from the tops on the other side then. It looked busy where you were - easier access from the road up Fell Foot Brow I guess...
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    Just had info that they're flying over Brize Norton at 1335 today for anyone in the area.
  • I was at windermere too on Sunday (up Gummers How). It was great. I was brought up a couple of miles from the derwent and Howden reservoirs in Derbyshire so have seen the raf one a few times on memorial flypasts. Two together was special though.
    I was looking across at you from the tops on the other side then. It looked busy where you were - easier access from the road up Fell Foot Brow I guess...
    It was busy - usually get a few up there on any Sunday but it was crazy. The lane going back down to the main road was fun afterwards.
    Use Your Brian
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9868
    holnrew said:
    Why do people worship tools of mass killing?

Not sure this is the reason people go gooey eyed about certain machines. Some aircraft, cars, boats, etc just have a certain something about them that catches the imagination. Yes, it may be because they are powerful, efficient killing machines such as the Lanc, Spitfire, Apache, etc but sometimes it's because they're aesthetically pleasing such as the Lockheed Constellation airliner, or any boat built by Riva, etc. Perhaps there's a nostalgia element to peoples' thinking - my Dad was a fitter on Lancasters and he's still interested in them some 70 years later. By default a certain percentage of these machines are weapons of war, but I suspect many of the people who have posted in this thread would be just as enthusiastic if there was a chance of, say, seeing Concorde flying at their local airshow.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    edited September 2014

My dad, standing, 6th from right.
    The aircraft, 'G for George' of 460 Squadron is now in The Australian War Memorial museum in Canberra, Australia. This aircraft flew 96 combat missions, when the average expectancy was less than 20 missions, and has the added distinction of bringing home alive every crew member who flew in it.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In answer to @holnrew, I like big noisy machines. I really like fighter jets, for example, but that's more about their speed and engineering. Weaponry and purpose is incidental to the fact that machines that carry those things and have that purpose tend to be big and noisy.

As @Hal9000 suggests, Concorde is also pretty cool.
    Use Your Brian
  • Great photo @HAL9000
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 3971
    I need to get my old in-flight video up on youtube, it's quite a good one as I rode every seat in the house and the weather was lovely. I just can't be bothered to research how to upload it. Maybe one day.
  • bob21bob21 Frets: 170
    We had the pair of Lancasters with 3 spitfires several times over the weekend at Goodwood Revival.. Quite a sight, and incredible to think it may be the last time I see such a thing!
    edited September 2014
    Having earlier posted a photo of my Dad with a Lancaster of 460 Squadron, (and at the risk of hijacking this thread which is not my intention) I've been doing a bit more research and found an uncle of mine was a Lancaster pilot for 57 Squadron. Was awarded for a DFC when one of the engines failed after being hit by AA fire, and successfully continued the raid despite not being able to maintain height, and all this AT THE AGE OF 23. I know lots of people will have friends relatives who did braver and more heroic things than this but still makes me tremendously proud. I don't believe that at 23 I would have behaved with the same bravery and determination. Especially when you hear what the life expectancy for bomber crews was back then.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    57 Sqd flew lancs out of Scampton and then East Kirkby.

If you haven't been yet try and visit the station and it's living museum.
    http://www.lincsaviation.co.uk/
    The Panton Brothers have done a wonderful job of retaining some very rare items like the crew buss and the Queen Mary trailer. Thats even without the option of seeing or riding in the Lancaster that moves under it's own power. It just might bring a lump to your throat.

• @ESBlonde have you been on one of the taxi rides in Just Jane? 

I've been dropping hints at home that it'd make a great 40th birthday pressie for me next year ;-)
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    @ESBlonde have you been on one of the taxi rides in Just Jane? 

I've been dropping hints at home that it'd make a great 40th birthday pressie for me next year ;-)
    Nope, We visited the region earlier this year and intended to cycle about (it being flat and all). We did not plan or pre book so were very lucky to arrive as Jane fired up and taxied off. Then spent a couple of hours engrossed before allowing herself to drag me to a pub. But yes I will book up and go one day for sure. You keep dropping those hints, and a couple of very expensive alternatives might make it more attractive still.
    ;)
  • ESBlonde said:
    @ESBlonde have you been on one of the taxi rides in Just Jane? 

Nope, We visited the region earlier this year and intended to cycle about (it being flat and all). We did not plan or pre book so were very lucky to arrive as Jane fired up and taxied off. Then spent a couple of hours engrossed before allowing herself to drag me to a pub. But yes I will book up and go one day for sure. You keep dropping those hints, and a couple of very expensive alternatives might make it more attractive still.
    ;)
    For sure, I've been mentioning that a US PRS would be a nice gift, so the Lanc trip would be a bargain in comparison!
  • Awesome /\ wish I'd been able to see them on the ground during the tour.
  • ...and she's on her way back home.