Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Two Lancasters Flying Together!

What's Hot

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm hoping to see the Canberra again.

Mostly as Wyton's airfield is only around 1 mile from home, And they flew from there when I was growing up.

And at one time Dad was a Canberra pilot.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12766
    I saw the Canberra at Farnborough and she looked incredible. I'm just hoping the guys from Air Atlantique (or whatever they are called this week) get their finger out and get their one airworthy - last time I was at Coventry, they said it wouldn't take "much". Sadly though, once she's in flight she'll be off to Cornwall where they have the rest of their fleet.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• Looks like it's close to me at Henstridge airfield a fly past anyway on the 23rd. May pop up and park on Shaftesbury to keep a look out !
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    Flew over my parents village today (Woodhall Spa - about 5 miles from RAF Coningsby). Makes me gutted I don't live there any more! Bet it would have sounded awesome! 
  • joneve said:
    Flew over my parents village today (Woodhall Spa - about 5 miles from RAF Coningsby). Makes me gutted I don't live there any more! Bet it would have sounded awesome! 
    They most certainly do! One flew over my gaff many years ago as part of ceremonies for Battle of Britain memorial together with Farnboro Air Show, accompanied by Spits & a Hurricane. Low enough to almost scrape the rooftops, hung in the air the same way that bricks don't. Made me think thank God it's not going to drop a load of high explosive on me, then I remembered that actually happened a few tens of years ago ...
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Can't wait to see these togther....

Me too. Looking forward to Gransden. (and Wyton flypast)....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

@not_the_dj ; in you have a chance to get to Duxford, take it with the boys, they'll love it.

I can email you some pics if you'd like.

edited August 2014
    mike_l said:

@not_the_dj ; in you have a chance to get to Duxford, take it with the boys, they'll love it.

I can email you some pics if you'd like.

It's on the plan for next year @mike_l , along  with a few other places. 

As much as my wife loves having two boys I am in danger of taking the family on too many military themed days out...I need to balance it out with a nature reserve or something like that.
  • jonevejoneve Frets: 1506
    joneve said:
    They most certainly do! One flew over my gaff many years ago as part of ceremonies for Battle of Britain memorial together with Farnboro Air Show, accompanied by Spits & a Hurricane. Low enough to almost scrape the rooftops, hung in the air the same way that bricks don't. Made me think thank God it's not going to drop a load of high explosive on me, then I remembered that actually happened a few tens of years ago ...
    Used to be a regular occurrence living in Woodhall, as the BBMF is only down the road, so we used to get the Lanc and the Spitfire flying over the village all the time. I miss it terribly :(...Two of them together would have been absolutely epic. My Grandad was a Lancaster Navigator back in WW2 so I always love to see/hear it fly over. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74494
    Made me think thank God it's not going to drop a load of high explosive on me, then I remembered that actually happened a few tens of years ago ... 
    I always get the same feeling when they do a flypast with the Vulcan and open the bomb doors (which my name is on the inside of somewhere, as a share buyer)… except that it would originally have been an atom bomb. Great planes, but it's important to remember what their original purpose was and be thankful we don't need them for that any more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1143
    My Grandad was the radio operator in Lancasters doing runs with members of the Canadian Air Force, he has a few written encounters of bombing runs...amazing stuff when you read what these people went through

• I'm hoping to go to Gransden too, with my boys.
    Result! Chap across the road has a family ticket going spare because he knows someone that's involved in organising the show. So, on Sunday we'll be there.
    And, we got an unexpected fly over our garden by the pair of them on Saturday evening - see @Bogwhoppit's post.
    Awesome day at Dawlish today, complete with the two Lancasters. I'm a happy bunny (and so are my kids).

I did see them at Gransden today. Lovely day out with Dad (Ex-RAF). He even got to see an aircraft he'd flown many times.

Vulcan XH558.

Though, for me, the 2 Lancasters did steal the show.

• Great show wasn't it? Some really cool displays.
  • lasermonkeylasermonkey Frets: 1941
    Got to see them both today as they flew over my neck of the woods. What a glorious racket!
    My wife asked me to stop singing Wonderwall.
    I said maybe.....
  • Saw them fly down the full length of Windermere on Sunday. It was like a scene from the Dambusters!!! :-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I was at windermere too on Sunday (up Gummers How). It was great. I was brought up a couple of miles from the derwent and Howden reservoirs in Derbyshire so have seen the raf one a few times on memorial flypasts. Two together was special though.
    Use Your Brian