Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Two Lancasters Flying Together!

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    martinw said:
    holnrew said:
    Why do people worship tools of mass killing?

Because they were tools of mass killing that we only came up with to fight-and beat- the Nazis. Remember them? They were pretty bad people. The cleverest and bravest men we had developed, built, flew and died in them in an act of great sacrifice.

My mum helped build them at A. V. Roe's. My uncle was killed flying as crew in a Wellington over Norway in 1940. My dad  was an RAF electrician and mopped blood out of returning USAAF B17s. To some of us it's not just an ethical debate.

Seeing a Lanc in the air is such a moving experience, the BBMF displays with the Spitfire and Hurricane are brilliant. Took my two young kids to Cosford Airshow last year to see them for the first time, I was amazed at my emotional response to a machine.

We should be proud of the men who flew in them, and the men and women who designed, built, maintained and supported them. These displays are a tribute to all those people. 

My grandad was RAF ground crew. 
    So was mine. He was a Polish air force mechanic who managed to escape from his country when it was invaded, and came here to help us fight back.

A lot of people died in WWII, innocent German civilians included, but if we had never fought it the outcome would have been far worse.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    My V key is broken
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3357
    martinw said:
    holnrew said:
    Why do people worship tools of mass killing?

Because they were tools of mass killing that we only came up with to fight-and beat- the Nazis. Remember them? They were pretty bad people. The cleverest and bravest men we had developed, built, flew and died in them in an act of great sacrifice.

My mum helped build them at A. V. Roe's. My uncle was killed flying as crew in a Wellington over Norway in 1940. My dad  was an RAF electrician and mopped blood out of returning USAAF B17s. To some of us it's not just an ethical debate.

well @martinw given your family's association with the above, if you haven't already been to Brooklands, and if not too sad an experience, a trip there could be worthwhile.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    holnrew said:
    Yes, I was aware of that, and much else besides. It was a war, total war. Decisions were made and bad stuff happened. Perhaps you would have been perfect had you been there. Think yourself lucky you haven't had to get involved in anything so shitty, where there are no 'goods', only two 'bloody awfuls' to choose between. Hindsight eh?
    Kebabkid said:
    martinw said:
    well @martinw given your family's association with the above, if you haven't already been to Brooklands, and if not too sad an experience, a trip there could be worthwhile.
    Yes. I went to Elvington last year, and that was great. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • holnrewholnrew Frets: 8207
    martinw said:
    holnrew said:
    Yes, I was aware of that, and much else besides. It was a war, total war. Decisions were made and bad stuff happened. Perhaps you would have been perfect had you been there. Think yourself lucky you haven't had to get involved in anything so shitty, where there are no 'goods', only two 'bloody awfuls' to choose between. Hindsight eh?
    I'd have probably signed up in WWII, and done some shitty things. I just don't get why people like war planes. I feel it's glorifying something distasteful. Sorry for the semi-trolling. Back to your fun.
    My V key is broken
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3614
    edited February 2014
    holnrew said:
    Don't forget the German bombing of civilians during the Spanish civil war, and the Germans bombing Warsaw in 1939 and the German bombing of Rotterdam after it surrendered in 1940 and the German bombing of London, Norwich, Southampton, Hull, Coventry etc. in 1940.

"They have sown the wind, and they shall reap the whirlwind" Arthur Harris.

War is undoubtedly a terrible thing, sometimes turning the other cheek doesn't help.

BTW good luck with your test today.

• ESBlonde said:
    holnrew said:
    Don't forget the German bombing of civilians during the Spanish civil war, and the Germans bombing Warsaw in 1939 and the German bombing of Rotterdam after it surrendered in 1940 and the German bombing of London, Norwich, Southampton, Hull, Coventry etc. in 1940.

I daresay Holnrew would find worship of German bombers to be distasteful as well.

ESBlonde said:
    holnrew said:

I daresay Holnrew would find worship of German bombers to be distasteful as well.
    I should hope so. The technology always advances during times of war/tension. War is not the thing being celebrated here so much as the courage and efforts of those people that found themselves there at the moment and faced the challenges.
  • freakboy1610freakboy1610 Frets: 1230
    edited February 2014
    My dad was a mid-upper gunner in a Lancaster bomber in 622 Squadron based at Mildenhall 1943-1945. I've seen the Lanc at Duxford and it's very difficult to imagine him and his mates flying in such a thing. He grew up in a time when the milk was delivered by horse and cart and if a car went by then everyone stopped and stared but at the age of 19 he was getting into an aeroplane and flying over Europe, mostly at night. Prior to enlisting he was in the home guard and he said it was all very amateur and rather like Dad's army. They used to take it in turns to take the tripod mounted machine gun home! Strange days indeed.
    Link to my trading feedback
  • Great news about the two Lancs!!

Always great to see.

My Dad was a tail gunner in B25 Martins during the war. Deserted the Irish Army aged 15, lied about his age and got into the RAF. Not a scratch on him the whole time!!

Mother was German and was in Hamburg when it was bombed for 72hrs straight.

An uncle of mine was a test pilot for the Luftwaffe I  the latter part of the war, helping develop the ME262 and Komet.

Watching the '66 World Cup in Germany was a bummer, I was the only one cheering.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    edited February 2014

Not sure if this'll work...video clip to a Canadian news story about the trip

http://www.chch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/2014-0224-LancML.jpg#hpdumhsk

• WolfetoneWolfetone Frets: 1479
    edited February 2014
    I have sat in the pilots seat of the Canadian Lanc at Hamilton. It's just amazing how small they are and to climb over the main spar is a huge effort. The pilots seat is about 2/3rds the width of your car seat and the co pilots seat flips down from the side to allow the bomb aimer/nav down through. Also took the controls of their T6 Texan as we went low level down a ravine. 

@rolls1392 - The B25 was a Liberator and the B26 was a marauder made by Martin Aircraft Corp.
  • Wolfetone said:
    @rolls1392 - The B25 was a Liberator and the B26 was a marauder made by Martin Aircraft Corp.

Thanks Wolftone. Got my numbers mixed up. Unfortunately my source of information is no longer available. Cheers

• rolls1392 said:

An uncle of mine was a test pilot for the Luftwaffe I  the latter part of the war, helping develop the ME262 and Komet.

I  think Me262s are cool. A lady friend of mine took me to the Smithsonian at Dulles Airport.  It was amazing I saw an Me262 and an actual Space Shuttle.  There was other stuff too, but those I remember.
    Wolfetone said:
    I have sat in the pilots seat of the Canadian Lanc at Hamilton. It's just amazing how small they are and to climb over the main spar is a huge effort. The pilots seat is about 2/3rds the width of your car seat and the co pilots seat flips down from the side to allow the bomb aimer/nav down through. Also took the controls of their T6 Texan as we went low level down a ravine. 

The B24 was the Liberator, The B25 the Mitchell. B26 Marauder aka the widowmaker because a lack of training caused some accidents in early use. High take off and landing speeds that pilots were not used to and nasty handling if an engine lost power near the ground. They became very successful aircraft but the name stuck.

• not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306

First joint flight confirmed: 24th August flypast over the Bourn Memorial.

http://www.rafbournmemorial.co.uk/

Duly noted @not_the_dj
    Bourn is quite a special place to walk around with plenty of the original buildings and tarmac still present (although another planning application is under consideration right now).

My Diary is marked.

• luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    it will be fantastic to see two Lancasters in the air together. I'm hoping i can fly my vintage aeroplane to an air display they are attending. Who knows i might be able to get some air to air photographs?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73223
    luscombe said:

it will be fantastic to see two Lancasters in the air together. I'm hoping i can fly my vintage aeroplane to an air display they are attending. Who knows i might be able to get some air to air photographs?
    Just as long as your vintage aeroplane isn't a Junkers 88 night fighter...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • luscombeluscombe Frets: 155
    If only it was!