Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson CS R8s at World Guitars

What's Hot
RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
edited December 2017 in Guitar
World Guitars have some new build R8s and R9s in. The R8s are going for £4,295. That's £1K more than I paid for mine in March 2016. That's 30% increase in just over 18 months. Lovely guitars but even I am wincing at that price, and forget the R9s, that's lottery winnings money.

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/gibson-custom-shop-standard-historic-58-les-paul-vos-iced-tea-87398/

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Blimey. That is a huge increase. Nearly £6000 for the 59. The True Historics are just crazy now, you could buy a nice standard just for the premium!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    To put this into context, the '59s aren't far off what my pre-CBS Precision cost.

Urk!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • It’s all just a bit silly but there will still be folk who pay it. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    World Guitars have some new build R8s and R9s in. The R8s are going for £4,295. That's £1K more than I paid for mine in March 2016. That's 30% increase in just over 18 months. Lovely guitars but even I am wincing at that price, and forget the R9s, that's lotter winnings money.

https://worldguitars.co.uk/shop/gibson-custom-shop-standard-historic-58-les-paul-vos-iced-tea-87398/
    IMHO they are simply not worth that type of money.  If you're patient you can find a very nice pre-owned R8 from around the £2,500 mark or even less and it will pretty much hold its money. Eg there's a 2014 R8 on EBay now for a buy it now of £2,399
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Are used R8’s really £2500? Even that seems high. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1373
    edited December 2017
    These prices rises are a sign of the times, particularly the falling value of the pound. I bought a modest Gretsch new 18 months ago. The current price is 50% more than the price I paid.
  • Yeah, R8s would realistically sell for £2-2.3k in my opinion
  • Arktik83Arktik83 Frets: 431
    Stupid money.  Gibson really are floundering.
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited December 2017
    Not bad.

World Guitars have some new build R8s and R9s in. The R8s are going for £4,295. That's £1K more than I paid for mine in March 2016. That's 30% increase in just over 18 months. Lovely guitars but even I am wincing at that price, and forget the R9s, that's lotter winnings money.

I paid £3, 995.00 for a 2005 old new stock R7 last week.
    I also spent £145.00 on the pickups I like and £60.00 on a new TonePros bridge I like (£50.00 for the part, £10.00 to have it installed).
    £4, 200.00 in total.

It's an awesome guitar.

Almost bought an R9 that day from a near by shop for £3, 225.00 but the R7/guitar I found/bought is one I really wanted and was in budget, so I'm happy about it.

I set myself a budget that day of £4, 000.00 looking in the first shop where I saw that chambered R9, so when I found the guitar I wanted for £3, 995.00  - I played it (unplugged), loved how it sounded, bought it.
    17reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    It’s all just a bit silly but there will still be folk who pay it. 
    This is what I don't understand - I nearly paid £2K for a '58 a couple of years back, but there was an awful lot of choice at that price point and I went for x2 guitars instead.

If you go Japanese at £1.5K, you can get something of equal quality and that's another barrier, as the extra £500 could be used towards an amp etc. I have a hard time paying more than £1.5K after owning a £3K PRS...It's just not worth it.  
    edited December 2017
    The fact that it was a goldtop/dark back is why I bought it, those are harder to find & 'look cooler' in my opinion (of course).
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    tFB Trader
    For £4k you can buy an immaculate Patrick James Eggle single cut Macon or Huber orca. That sound astonishing and play like a £4K guitar should. Why bother with Gibson when our homegrown builders and European builders are so accomplished? 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited December 2017
    Fucking hell mate - youve just earned yourself a wow
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not.  
    edited December 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    For £4k you can buy an immaculate Patrick James Eggle single cut Macon or Huber orca. That sound astonishing and play like a £4K guitar should. Why bother with Gibson when our homegrown builders and European builders are so accomplished? 
    Yeah, um, no.
    Gibson's are a £1, 000, 000.00 worth of happiness for a fraction of the cost.

Also, I've heard of Gibson, they make fine guitars, well, they also make crap ones, but the ones I have/own/like are nice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • That said, I am so happy I scored my R7 though, that guitar is fucking awesome, pardon my French.
  • That said, I am so happy I scored my R7 though, that guitar is fucking awesome, pardon my French.
    It sounds sweet.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    Schnozz said:
    It’s all just a bit silly but there will still be folk who pay it. 
    This is what I don't understand - I nearly paid £2K for a '58 a couple of years back, but there was an awful lot of choice at that price point and I went for x2 guitars instead.
    Oh God no, for me, It's not about quantity, it's about quality.

Sure, there are some nice home grown guitars, some of which I've met the luthiers of, but why should I let that get in the way of owning what I want when it's a Gibson I want.

I asked Feline Guitars once, many years ago (before my first Gibson) 'can you get this like a Gibson Les Paul, can you get that like a Gibson Les Paul' until he turned around to me and suggested why not just get a Gibson Les Paul? (Smart man).. I have 2 now. Both nice, both have different neck profiles and weights (one's chambered/one's solid) but, BOTH ARE NICE.
    edited December 2017
    I feel like; I like luxury guitars the best. So high end guitars now for me, why get 4 guitars when you can have 1 for the same cost?

It's quality over quantity and I'd never substitute greatness for more mediocre, that's not me at all.

As things go, my guitars are love... If I'd have bought cheaper guitars, I'd have more money (of course), but, what would be the point? and that's why, to this day; I'm happy about scoring my 1996 Custom Shop and my 2005 R7.

I spent £1, 985.00 on my 1996 Custom Shop reduced from £2, 800.00 in 2011 and £3, 995.00 on my R7 last week.
    Love these guitars.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6234
    edited December 2017 tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    Yeah, um, no.
    Gibson's a £1, 000, 000.00 worth of happiness for a fraction of the cost.

Also, I've heard of Gibson, they make fine guitars, well, they also make crap ones, but the ones I have/own/like are nice.
    Very blinkered response, have you tried any of the two I mentioned? I’ve owned several Gibson R9s over the years as well as an R8 and a couple of standards. One was lovely, the rest were forgettable,  I got  sick of the inconsistencies, I realised I was giving them a “free pass” to have poor QC because hey it’s a Gibson.

I now own a both a PJE Macon and A Nic Huber Orca. Hands down, both sound, and play better than any Gibson I’ve played, both look incredible and both are immaculately finished.

why would I sift through crap to get a good guitar when I don’t have too? Hell even a Tokai ls200 I owned was better than any of the Les Paul’s I’ve owned.

Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom