Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson CS R8s at World Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• The good news is that PRS Guitars normally only affordable to Lawyers and Dentist.
    World Guitars have a nice single cut 594 for just 3295 an absolute snip.

LOL

I think the age old connections between lawyers having a lot of money needs to take a reality check. Myself and a school friend both went into law. He is at a PARTNER level and you would be shocked to know how low his income is from that position.

I live in a city so it is not as bad for me, but still, my engineering friends who didn't spend 3 years at degree level, 2 years in law school and then 2 years training are on a good £10k + more than me a year. I ask myself why I do this job all the time.

I wish I could justify ANY guitar over £2k...even my car was only £2250 hahaahahah! Max I've paid is £1650 for a superb new Musicman Classic 5 string bass and it is the best bass I've ever played (and I've played a lot).

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited December 2017
    4K for an R7? Really? Don't these usually go for about 1600 quid?
    Mine's old new stock, never been used until I had my way with it, a 2005 R7. (At least I think that's my R7) Could have been this 2014 R9 I tried in this other shop close by that was the 'old new stock one' for £3, 225.00

(Also, IDK, £3, 995.00 was good since brand new when they're released are like £6, 500.00 around that price).

It's a relic.
    One of these
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB757GB757&biw=1280&bih=614&tbm=shop&ei=0SQkWu3jNKbfgAbVx56YAQ&q=relic+gibson&oq=relic+gibson&gs_l=psy-ab.3...62146960.62148582.0.62149258.12.12.0.0.0.0.146.933.10j1.11.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.6.541...0.0.y2mWwLGOv40
    The only thing I don't like is that someone at Gibson beat up on my guitar a bit 'to give it that look' and used like rusty hardware for that relic look.

Either way, I'm happy with it, it was in budget, I found it, I bought it; yay! (Go me)! lol

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    £4k guitars still sound bad if you can’t play in tune.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 11reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    I said mine was like £6, 500.00 (around that) but then, that's the R9s... I think this goldtop/black back, I think they're a little more, like £7, 200.00 brand new or something like that, either way, it's a Helluva guitar...

I'm not really concerned on the resale of it even though I have all of its stock parts at least (I didn't get a certificate). I haven't even bothered to phone Gibson up since it's one of them (Gibsons like my 1996 Gibson Custom Shop Les Paul Standard with a Red Sparkle Top that have serial numbers that only ringing that toll free 1-800 GIBSON ((or something)) number) guitars.
    The only way I know 'because the internet doesn't have them all' is to phone them up for my 2nd Gibson too, because it's another one of them.

'Phone up the factory, tell them the number, they tell you the guitar'.

In a way it's kind of cool, and I was sold a 1983 Red Sparkle Top that turned out to be a 1996 (which for me made me even more happier because of I like the year musically)... So that was a bonus.
    I bought both of my Gibsons on the same site, but they changed hands and name of business between my first Gibson and my second Gibson, so, let's see how honest these new people are...
    When I can be bothered but, as cool as that whole 'Phone up the factory, tell them the number, they tell you the guitar' is, it's not going online and doing it, which, if I could, I would have done that by now but alas, like my other Gibson... :)
    "It's one of them."
    It's a way cool factory to be from though so, nice guitar(s).
  • I said mine was like £6, 500.00 (around that) but then, that's the R9s... I think this goldtop/black back, I think they're a little more, like £7, 200.00 brand new or something like that, either way, it's a Helluva guitar... :)
    For 4k you could have got a used R7 and a used R8 probably!

Is yours Tom Murphy aged or something? 

I paid £1800 for my R7!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    I said mine was like £6, 500.00 (around that) but then, that's the R9s... I think this goldtop/black back, I think they're a little more, like £7, 200.00 brand new or something like that, either way, it's a Helluva guitar...

I paid £1800 for my R7!
    Probably, however, £4k couldn't buy me every Gisbon Les Paul I saw that day when I hit town to see what they've got.
    Which, for me, I am blessed.
    Love that it's on my door step really.
    It's by Tottenham Court Road and it's marvellous.

So anyway... I go guitar shopping and even window shopping there, and... I like it because you can play on them and ogle them and everything.
    So, in my own experience, I know how much it costs to 'order one in brand new/£7, 200.00 in 2014 money (like fresh from a Gibson Dealer)... So I'm thrilled to pieces about scoring it/getting it/finding it/buying it/owning it/getting to play on it...
    It's a cross between everything I set out for and everything I wanted, in budget right there... I walked in, saw it, asked to play on it, they asked me if I wanted to plug in, I said no, sat down, played on it, it sounded amazing, had that neck etc... bought it. Within 5 - 6 minutes after walking in the door.
  • dbphotodbphoto Frets: 716
    My head hurts and I’m left feeling rather confused........
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017

I paid £1800 for my R7!
    IDK to be honest, the shop called it/call it a 2005 Relic 1957 and mine looks aged.
    Someone wrote R7 in it, but, the young gentleman at Feline Guitars noticed mine had different capacitors to what he was expecting, and on the internet they're black, mine are green, but he showed me someone wrote R7 there, so, I'd say yes. but IDK. 

It was displayed next to that Tom Murphy.
    They had one in stock, and my guitar was actually hanging next to it.
    but that had a bright back.
    Small world, but mine was sold next to a Tom Murphy.
    https://notomguitars.com/collections/guitars/products/2001-gibson-1957-historic-les-paul-tom-murphy
    They wanted £4, 995.00 for that but I didn't even care because it has a bright back and the one I bought was around.
  • I said mine was like £6, 500.00 (around that) but then, that's the R9s... I think this goldtop/black back, I think they're a little more, like £7, 200.00 brand new or something like that, either way, it's a Helluva guitar...

I paid £1800 for my R7!
    IDK to be honest, the shop called it/call it a 2005 Relic 1957 and mine looks aged.
    Someone wrote R7 in it, but, the young gentleman at Feline Guitars noticed mine had different capacitors to what he was expecting, and on the internet they're black, mine are green, but he showed me someone wrote R7 there, so, I'd say yes. but IDK. 

https://notomguitars.com/collections/guitars/products/2001-gibson-1957-historic-les-paul-tom-murphy
    They wanted £4, 995.00 for that but I didn't even care because it has a bright back and the one I bought was around.
    It sounds interesting... I wonder what caps are in it now if they're not bumblebees. 

Do you have any detailed pictures so we can see it?
    edited December 2017

I paid £1800 for my R7!

It sounds interesting... I wonder what caps are in it now if they're not bumblebees. 

No, I tell you what though; If/when I phone up Gibson, I'd tell you (& everyone) what it started out life as, because Gibson can do that just by serial number alone, but as far as guitars go, it sounds amazing.
    But I'm not about to go messing around with my guitar for no one - sorry.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pia98jf said:
    £4k guitars still sound bad if you can’t play in tune.
    Well then learn to play.
    12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • dbphoto said:
    My head hurts and I’m left feeling rather confused........
    We can help you with that.
    Take my pills, might taste like Tic-Tacs, might even look like a Tic-Tac, but it'll be £6.99 per month of daily medicine.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I said mine was like £6, 500.00 (around that) but then, that's the R9s... I think this goldtop/black back, I think they're a little more, like £7, 200.00 brand new or something like that, either way, it's a Helluva guitar...

I paid £1800 for my R7!

No, I tell you what though; If/when I phone up Gibson, I'd tell you (& everyone) what it started out life as, because Gibson can do that just by serial number alone, but as far as guitars go, it sounds amazing.
    I would like to agree with you but I'm still waiting on Gibson getting back to me on that front. 

Taking some pictures of your guitar isn't really 'messing about' with it? I was referring to the relic'ing more than anything. I don't understand why it cost nearly 4 grand, that's all.

I've never seen a dark back RI for sale at over 7 grand. Certainly in 2014 which was when I bought mine and that was before the price rises. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

I paid £1800 for my R7!

I would like to agree with you but I'm still waiting on Gibson getting back to me on that front. 

Taking some pictures of your guitar isn't really 'messing about' with it? I was referring to the relic'ing more than anything. I don't understand why it cost nearly 4 grand, that's all.

I've never seen a dark back RI for sale at over 7 grand. Certainly in 2014 which was when I bought mine and that was before the price rises. 
    There are loads of expensive Gibson Les Pauls where I shop in different shops there.
    Mine wasn't the cheapest or the most expensive but, was nice and in my budget...
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    edited December 2017
    Edit: that was uncalled for
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31963
    edited December 2017
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • rico said:
    Did you think about budgeting for a tuner or guitar lessons? 
    Idiots complained Slash wasn't in tune, I've seen in my day; so IDK about Eb complaints and think maybe people shouldn't aways expect standard E? But IDK you and what tunings you have on your gear.
    All I know is... My Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster is still tuned to do this (forget how what it was now but it's left un touched ready for this)...

I have a 2001 Samick Plant Epiphone / Feline Guitars rebuild Les Paul that's still tuned for Korn.
    'actually'...

I also  had some fun with it that week in open B or whatever... Got this

and another in Dropped D or Dropped C # if I can't be bothered to change a Gibson, it's there, with a really cool look and body.
    This UK Surrey built guitar 'by a man named Doug' apparently built an awesome guitar, called it an Aardvark and put a gilded chameleon on it....
    Nice custom build for what it is. Tele/Strat with an acoustic neck profile and bone nut.

But then I did this for my Gibson too (when I had only 1 Gibson).

and my Framus for my own amusement really, is in Dropped C

I still love the feed back tbh.

I haven't gotten around to going in E standard with my goldtop though yet been having too much fun with it in Eb.
    So... IDK, forgive me, but I'm a little bit weary of idiots saying people aren't in tune.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7430
    edited December 2017
    I knew from the first time I saw the @LesbianWithAGun username that we'd be in for a treat.
    8reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Wubalubadubdub!DefaultM said:
    I knew from the first time I saw the @LesbianWithAGun username that we'd be in for a treat.
    I have an awesome guitar.

I mean, this guitar can do this just by looking at it/awesome tune/awesome guitar.
  • xpia98jfxpia98jf Frets: 309
    Seriously the best advice you’ve had in this thread is to take some lessons. The timing and intonation problems you have in your playing can be easily addressed if you focus on them. Accepting your faults is the first step in addressing them...
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom