Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New Gibson CS R8s at World Guitars

What's Hot

Comments

• SchnozzSchnozz Frets: 2038
    I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not.  
    Neither am I now...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • LesbianWithAGunLesbianWithAGun Frets: 785
    edited December 2017
    In all honesty, if money wasn't an object, I'd be ordering custom builds from Feline... but money is a thing, and what money I do have, I know what I want, let's just put it like that.

Also, the more cooler/better guitars I have, lets me be able to run to Feline Guitars/a luthier and, if/when ordering any new builds, I could just bring in the guitars I like, because I have them/own them/are mine to do with what I like - so could show and explain what I love about them to see how getting one built from scratch would go, rather than saying 'like a ... guitar' I'd be like 'like my guitar'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • If I was to get any UK guitars made to order, it'll be a Feline Lion based on the weights and feels of my Gibsons...
    Or even better, a Super Strat/Feline Panther with a Floyd Rose original tremolo system floating for dive bombing.
    edited December 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    For £4k you can buy an immaculate Patrick James Eggle single cut Macon or Huber orca. That sound astonishing and play like a £4K guitar should. Why bother with Gibson when our homegrown builders and European builders are so accomplished? 
    Yeah, um, no.
    Gibson's a £1, 000, 000.00 worth of happiness for a fraction of the cost.

Also, I've heard of Gibson, they make fine guitars, well, they also make crap ones, but the ones I have/own/like are nice.
    Very blinkered response, have you tried any of the two I mentioned? I’ve owned several Gibson R9s over the years as well as an R8 and a couple of standards. One was lovely, the rest were forgettable,  I got  sick of the inconsistencies, I realised I was giving them a “free pass” to have poor QC because hey it’s a Gibson.

Well, me, I'd never buy a nice guitar without playing it first... Brand loyalty aside, if these guitars didn't excite me in the shop when playing on them, they wouldn't have came home with me.
    I mean, both of my Gibsons were love at first play.
    but I've played a bunch of Gibson Les Pauls that I didn't love. - I've liked them, wanted to love them, but after playing on them, didn't despite wanting to.

That's one thing to bare in mind about me, I wouldn't have these guitars if they didn't sound so nice/excite me so.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    for dive bombing.
    I hear stukas are better for that.. or a big deep pool.
    edited December 2017
    Once played on a nice Dean USA

(I think this one).

I remember its price, it's pickups and it's bridge...

Was under £1, 000.00 brand new... Was a very nice/awesome guitar, but, for me, it's tricky Floyd Rose scared me from wanting it at the time even though then I had the same bridge on this cheap guitar (which in the end I copied this Seymour Duncan SH-13 and had it put to that cheap guitar with the nice parts/ this Dean USA felt so nice though.

So it's not about the £££, it's about the guitar, and this guitar, I remember, was awesome to play on.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24581
    Once played on a nice Dean USA

(I think this one).

Was under £1, 000.00 brand new... Was a very nice/awesome guitar, but, for me, it's tricky Floyd Rose scared me from wanting it at the time, but this guitar sounds just as good as a more expensive Gibson Les Paul...

So it's not about the £££, it's about the guitar, and this guitar, I remember, was awesome to play on.
    You are @mikeyrob73 and ICM £5
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

• That is even uglier than the first Mrs Returns' dirty black soul. Truly hideous! 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

• That is even uglier than the first Mrs Returns' dirty black soul. Truly hideous! 
    It plays like a dream though.
  • I actually have a used American Fender Duluxe Stratocaster that's stock and has a really awesome tone.

That is an awesome guitar, I paid like £850.00 for it.
    I really looked at it because it reminded me of my first buy/my first guitar, only not cheap and horrible made out of ply wood, but the real deal because it's a Fender Stratocaster, and not a Tanglewood Nevada 32K.
    As far as it's tone, love it (unplugged) and it a nice/neat/cool guitar, but, I'm so in love with the tone of my Les Pauls, it gets played but.... Not as much as my Gibsons.
    Love it it, first time since 2003 I've seen one in this same finish I love/have wanted for years, which is hard to find, so I bought it, September 2016.

Teal Ash...

This however has a maple neck, like Hendrix and Clapton's... So that's cool, my first guitar and this Fender I saw in 2003 with that same finish has a rosewood fretboard...
    It's the same colour but a different factor from my first buy - I know this because I still have it and they're both in the same guitar wrack... My Gibsons are on stands. Different brands of stands so, one looks taller than the other or whatever, but whatever, I got them to throw in a stand with my R7, and they kindly gave me what I got, but when they were selling it, it was hanging on the wall next to another goldtop that had a bright back.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017
    I actually have a used American Fender Duluxe Stratocaster that's stock and has a really awesome tone.

That is an awesome guitar, I paid like £850.00 for it.
    I really looked at it because it reminded me of my first buy/my first guitar, only not cheap and horrible made out of ply wood, but the real deal because it's a Fender Stratocaster, and not a Tanglewood Nevada 32K.
    As far as it's tone, love it (unplugged) and it a nice/neat/cool guitar, but, I'm so in love with the tone of my Les Pauls, it gets played but.... Not as much as my Gibsons.
    Love it it, first time since 2003 I've seen one in this same finish I love/have wanted for years, which is hard to find, so I bought it, September 2016.

Teal Ash...

This however has a maple neck, like Hendrix and Clapton's... So that's cool, my first guitar purchase and this Fender I saw in 2003 with that same finish has a rosewood fretboard...
    It's the same colour but a different factory from my first buy - I know this because I still have it and they're both in the same multi-guitar stand... My Gibsons are on their own stands to hand next to the amp. Different brands of stands so, one looks taller than the other or whatever, but whatever, I got them to throw in a guitar stand with my R7, and they kindly gave me what I got, but when they were selling it, it was hanging on the wall next to another goldtop that had a bright back.
  • LegionreturnsLegionreturns Frets: 7965
    edited December 2017

That is even uglier than the first Mrs Returns' dirty black soul. Truly hideous! 
    Wouldn't matter. I'd feel like a complete prick with that strapped to me tired_face 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    edited December 2017

That is even uglier than the first Mrs Returns' dirty black soul. Truly hideous! 
    Wouldn't matter. I'd feel like a complete prick with that strapped to me tired_face 
    Hmmm...
    (Also, I meant to edit, but instead quoted myself and edited the quote that follows this post by mistake).
    edited December 2017

What can I say? It gives you orgasms (I'm not making it up, this guitar is something)...

I don't care what it looks like, if the bridge wasn't such a bitch to live with but... nice guitar.
    Nice sub £1k guitar right there.

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4788
    Yeah, R8s would realistically sell for £2-2.3k in my opinion
    Agreed, I was being a bit overly conservative - yup, a used R8 could be found for around half the cost of a new one. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Schnozz said:
    I'm not sure if this thread is serious or not.  
    Neither am I now...
    Well my opening post was perfectly serious. I love R8s, own a nice 2016 one but am shocked at the current price. 

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 14008
    edited December 2017
    ThorpyFX said:
    For £4k you can buy an immaculate Patrick James Eggle single cut Macon or Huber orca. That sound astonishing and play like a £4K guitar should. Why bother with Gibson when our homegrown builders and European builders are so accomplished? 
    I had a Huber Krautster II before I got my Gibson R8. The Huber was immaculately built but the finish was weird, really weird, not gloss and not satin, it showed up finger prints terribly. Also, the push pull tone pot knob sat higher off the body compared to the non push pull volume and looked wrong, the knobs were Allparts Gibson copies and felt cheap and the tone pot felt very loose to turn. These all added up to leave me feeling disappointed. However, the neck was superb, absolutely superb,

I felt vindicated selling it when I received my R8. It feels much more like home than the Huber did and  I love the feel and look of the Gibson Custom Shop nitro finish. I prefer the sound of the Les Paul too, 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Once played on a nice Dean USA

(I think this one).

Was under £1, 000.00 brand new... Was a very nice/awesome guitar, but, for me, it's tricky Floyd Rose scared me from wanting it at the time, but this guitar sounds just as good as a more expensive Gibson Les Paul...
    At
    You are @mikeyrob73 and ICM £5
    I’m hungover and didn’t need to see that, I now feel sick @Bridgehouse ;

• ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    "Gibsons are too expensive for what they are".

What is the obsession with saying this?  If something is too expensive for you, don't buy it. Problem solved!  If something is poor quality, don't buy it. Problem solved!  If something isn't worth its price tag, don't buy it. Problem solved!

Then the follow-up insinuation of "Some fools will buy them", as if those folks for whom Gibson prices are not 'too expensive' are idiots with money.  That's just disguised envy.

This same argument comes up every month, but only about Gibson, not other brands.  I don't defend Gibson or their prices - I'm just curious as to why this obsession about making these comments about Gibson prices has been around for at least 15-20 years if not more.

I'm sure there is a great thesis to be written about it. :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • 4K for an R7? Really? Don't these usually go for about 1600 quid?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom